Subject: building roads/settlments - irrigation - VP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julie Jedlicka
United States
California
flag msg tools
I appreciate any help in regards to the following questions! gulp

1. Can player A build an isolated road connected to player B's road? The rules specifically state player A can only build a settlement next player A's road, however the rules are more vague in regards to building roads. Consequently if player A builds a road off of player B's road, in the future A can build a settlement off of player A's new road.

2. We are also playing that you have the option of building a road and a settlement at the same time unconnected to any previous roads/settlements. This seems to fit within the rules because you are building two items simultaneously they are then connected to each other. Is this correct? Or can you only build off of the two initial positions you select at the begining of the game?

3. Progress card question-
Irrigation card states you receive 2 grains from the field hex adjacent to one of your cities (or something to this effect). Does this mean you choose one city, and if it if connected to one field you receive 2 grains and if it is connected to 2 fields you receive 4 grains? Alternatively you could take 2 grains for every field hex where you have an adjacent settlement (never double-counting a grain hex). This could greatly increase the number of grain you receive. What is the offical interpretation of this card?

4. Finally, with the C & K addition, there is no quick summary of victory points. Is this correct below:
1 VP for each settlement
2 VP for each city
2 additional VP if a city is a metropolis
1 VP each for any VP progress card or defender of Catan card you posess
2 VP if you have the longest road
1 VP for the merchant

Knights and building city improvements do not figure in the VP calculation.

Thanks so much for your help! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I've tried to answer questions lately regarding this game, only to discover that I've been playing it wrong, but here we go:

1. No, you cannot build a road only connected to another player's road. If it's connected to something that you own and you're simply cutting off another player, it's okay, but otherwise I don't see how you could do this.

2. No, anything you build must be connected by roads to your original settlement and city that you placed in the beginning of the game.

3. We play that you receive 2 grain for every hex to which you are adjacent, which can give you a ton of grain at one time. I hope we haven't been playing this wrong.

4. Your summary seems correct, I should just only clarify that the only Progress Cards that give you a victory point are the "Victory Point" cards - there are two - one blue and one green. But knights and city improvements do not bring victory points alone, unless they help you get the metropolis or Defender of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jonathan,

You're spot on on all 4 counts.

You are hereby awarded the Retter Catans.

(Hero of Catan)

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!

After that last post I made (thanks for the help Jeff, BTW) I had to start questioning how I've been playing the game. Everyone we play with makes the same mistakes, it will be hard to convince them that we've been playing it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan:

You are correct as far as 1, 2, and 4 go.

3 is a frequent question, and I believe you are incorrect. I will try to find the source, if you like.

In any case, the correct interpretation, as far as I know, is to pick a city or settlement, count the number of adjacent grain hexes, and multiply by two.

Your intepretation may result in 8 grains, which is a bit much.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daoust
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to make sure we all understand each other,

There are a total of 4 grain hexes in 3-4 player settlers. So, the max # of grain you can get is 4x2=8 no matter how many cities/settlements you have on grain hexes. In order to get 8 you would need at least 1 city/settlement on each grain hex.

Other examples, 2 cities/settlements on the same grain hex will result in only 2 grain, wheras 2,3,4,5 or 6 cities/settlements on two different grain hexes will result in 4 grains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree.

As far as I understand, the rules specify that you pick one city or settlement and count the number of grain hexes around that one. Not all of your cities or settlements. Therefore, the maximum number of grains you can gain with this card if six, and only if you have located a single city or settlement at the center of three hexes that are all grains.

I could be wrong.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daoust
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I might also be wrong.

Here is the ruling:" Collect 2 grain cards for each fields hex adjacent to at least one of your settlements or cities"

So, count each field hex that is adjacent to a at least one settlement/city and multiply by 2.

My french version of the rules also specifies an example confirming the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mike & John are correct.

a lot of the confusion from the Kosmos rules to any other language is the 'babelfish' interpretation. Grammer is as important, especially with the use of articles.

ie With 4 grain hexes, the most grain that could be received is 8.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Robins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't checked the rules, and its been almost a year since I played Cities and Knights of Catan, but isn't a city that's become a Metropolous only worth 3 VP (total), not the quoted 4 VP. All the other VP quotes go well with my memory except for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, metropolises are definitely worth 4 VPs. 2 for the city, and an additional 2 for the golden arch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I M
msg tools
About irigation.
I found this text (actualy it is here on the page - progress cards quick reviev.pdf):

Receive 2 raw material cards of grain for each of your settlements/cities bordering a grain field.

so if I have 2 cities/settlements on the same hex, with irigation I will get 4 grains for that hex, and if I have another grain hex with lets say another two cities I will get 4 more grain, and so on...
So theoreticaly you can get more than 8 grains with it (or more than 6 stones with mining industry).

But reading the german original tekst, it is not so clear...
there is says for each hex where you have one settlement/city (so it can realy be interpreted both ways, because it doesnt say - at least one, it says - one).
My gf (austrian, hence german speaking) thinks the first interpretation is correct, so we play like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't anyone else have the almanac? Do the non-english versions not come with one? The almanac is very clear with a detailed explanation and example of the Irrigation card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
2. No, anything you build must be connected by roads to your original settlement and city that you placed in the beginning of the game.

I'm sorry to say that this is not the whole truth. The rules state that every new built element has to be adjacent to any of your previously built elements. If at any time someone cuts your trade route in two pieces with a knight and then uses a diplomate to remove a road adjacent to his knight (who split the former long road in two pieces where each road adjacent to him is an ending road - German: endständig), you will then have three positions from where you can expand. Another possibility to get a third seperate position on the map is when playing with volcanos and ships. If you have a settlement on a volcano tile which is connected from one side with ships and from the other with roads and the volcano destroys your settlement, then you will have a single road at the edge of the volcano from which you also can continue expansion. This means: you have to be precise in this point - anything you build must be connected with anything you built. But you are right to say that building a road and a settlement "at once" anywhere on the map is not allowed. In fact, in Settlers there is no "at once". Everything has to be done sequentially. Therefore, first place a road, then build your settlement. And cause the road must be adjacent to previously built elements, you may not place it whereever you like.

Quote:
3. We play that you receive 2 grain for every hex to which you are adjacent, which can give you a ton of grain at one time.

This is correct. The official Kosmos rules state exactly the same: Take two grain for every hex adjacent to any of your cities and settlements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Averett
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
But make sure you're not collecting four oar if you have two or three settlements next to a grain. It doesn't matter the amount of settlements around a single grain hex. The total you can receive is two. If you are next to a separate grain hex you then can draw four or six grain when next to three etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.