Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear this game has a crew quality rule that can improve or hamper a ship's performance. Can anyone elaborate on this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Do what yhou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." - Aleister Crowley
badge
"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - John Galt
mbmbmbmbmb
Special Rule 19.0 Effectiveness

Basically a ship was assigned an Effectiveness Rating of 1 to 7 with high being good. You would cross index remaining gunnery factors with EF to see how many you could actually fire. Ships with low ER also had a possible movement penalty.

Some editions of the Scenario Book did not include the chart! It can be found on the APL website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I can't find it on the website though. Can you aid me William?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - John Galt
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Thanks. I can't find it on the website though. Can you aid me William?

http://www.avalanchepress.com/images/EffectTable.pdf

It worked for each weapon system. If you had three undamaged primary and a crew ER of 4 you could only fire 2, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. how did you like the chart in practice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Thanks. how did you like the chart in practice?

An extra thing to glance at before rolling dice, but you quickly learned its flow. Realistic, thus making some hard scenarios even harder for the Russians, which means it sucks to be me. In a hidden clause in Lenin's Last Will and Testament it stipulated that it was Comrade Sariegovich's sacred duty to play The Motherland in all games.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it used for dreadnought era battles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"Aw, I dunno, Bullwinkle..."
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Is it used for dreadnought era battles?

No, and it was not used for any game outside 1904-1905.

There was some controversy, as the rules resulted in effectiveness decreasing with days at sea (in many cases, 5-10 days), as opposed to being more dominated by training level.

Karl abandoned these with the GWF tactical rules, applying a hard penalty for the poorly-trained Russians in 1904-1905. I've taken a similar line with RJW, applying a penalty to poorly-trained Russians, but including some hypotheticals where the Tsar's minions match up in terms of training with the sailors of the Emperor.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James and keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.