JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game of Age of Steam last night, and I have a question about moving goods cubes. At the beginning of the game, there were two blue goods cubes on Evansville (a blue city). Now, I set up three tracks from Evansville to Cincinnati, through Indianapolis. Later that round, I was able to move both cubes from Evansville to Cincinnati, two connections each, and jump my income up to 4 after the first turn.

My question is...did i do anything against the rules here? Since the blue cubes started out on blue cities, are they frozen in Evansville, never able to be moved, or can they be moved to different blue cities like what I described above...

Hopefully I will be able to get my wife to play this again because she wasn't that interested in it. She dows not like games as "unforgiving" as this.

Anyway, I'm interested to see if I did anything wrong with my first turn, or if I was working within the rules. Thanks, in advance, for any info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have needed to have selected the Locomotice action, but as long as you did so, you were within the rules. That is the "killer" first move on the standard board, and should be heavily contested both with builds and auction in order to prevent someone else from acquiring it cheaply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did pick the locomotive action to move two connection per good cube, and since all three of us were playing out first round, no one really saw it until I made the move.

Glad to know that I was within the rules. I know that next game, any situation like that will be difficult to get.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the rules state that a cube must stop "as soon as it enters a city of the same color" and that "it may visit each Town or City only only once".

Note that a cube must "enter" a city before it is delivered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Note that the rules state that a cube must stop "as soon as it enters a city of the same color" and that "it may visit each Town or City only only once".

Excellent point. I guess I was thinking the initial placement counted as good entering the city. However, this statement makes it pretty clear to me now.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
jwilhm wrote:
Great Dane wrote:

Excellent point. I guess I was thinking the initial placement counted as good entering the city. However, this statement makes it pretty clear to me now.

Thanks!

Are you implying that you can start with blue cubes on a blue city, take a circular route passing through other cities, and end up in the blue city you started from? By this, are you interpreting that leaving the blue city is NOT the same as visiting it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabro wrote:
Are you implying that you can start with blue cubes on a blue city, take a circular route passing through other cities, and end up in the blue city you started from? By this, are you interpreting that leaving the blue city is NOT the same as visiting it?

No, that is covered in another rule:

The very first sentence in the Deliver Goods Cube chapter reads:
- The active player may move goods cube from one city to another city, thus delivering that cube to a destination.

Note that just because I am only quoting the rule touching the subject you mentioned I am not implying that you can move Goods cubes to any city regardless of the existence of tracks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are you implying that you can start with blue cubes on a blue city, take a circular route passing through other cities, and end up in the blue city you started from?

Can't see where that was implied, personally. Take a look at the original post which started this thread:

Quote:
At the beginning of the game, there were two blue goods cubes on Evansville (a blue city). Now, I set up three tracks from Evansville to Cincinnati, through Indianapolis. Later that round, I was able to move both cubes from Evansville to Cincinnati, two connections each

That sets the stage perfectly for the original question.

However, just to make things crystal clear for everyone: you may NOT deliver a good back to the city where it started. Neither can you take a small loop back through the starting city to get to a different destination by a longer route, as that would violate the "only visit a town/city once" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
krainer wrote:
Quote:
Are you implying that you can start with blue cubes on a blue city, take a circular route passing through other cities, and end up in the blue city you started from?

Can't see where that was implied, personally. Take a look at the original post which started this thread:

Ok, what I should have done was changed the question to: "Are you implying that you can start with yellow cubes on a yellow city, take a circular route passing through other cities, and end up in the yellow city you started from? By this, are you interpreting that leaving the blue city is NOT the same as visiting it?" This was a potential run in the game I had finished some half an hour earlier.

However, as Mik pointed out ...

Great Dane wrote:
No, that is covered in another rule:

The very first sentence in the Deliver Goods Cube chapter reads:
- The active player may move goods cube from one city to another city, thus delivering that cube to a destination.

... we had forgotton the 'another city'. Had we spotted it when we were scanning the rules looking for an answer, I would never have posted!

Fortunately, even though we missed the key word "another", that is how we played it. Otherwise it would have been unrealistic!

Thanks Mik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.