Popular Tags: [View All]
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell me or point to where the specs are for image sizes for games.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to the game you want to submit images for and clikc the [ADD IMAGE] link, there is a run down of criteria and possible problems with images that might cause them to be reected:

"
Image Submission Rules (PLEASE READ!):

You may only upload pictures that you have taken yourself or for which you have obtained explicit permission to upload from the rights holder. Uploading others' pictures without explicit permission may be grounds for suspension of uploading rights or suspension of your account, depending on the severity of the offense.

Before uploading an image, consider whether it is likely to be approved. Make sure that the image is properly cropped and rotated, and that the quality is at least comparable to other images in the database. Submitting multiple similar images at once may result in all images being rejected; instead try choosing the best image or images from a set to upload. Images may be rejected for any of the following reasons:

* Permission: Images for which you don't have permission.
* Offensive: Image contains inappropriate material.
* Corrupt: Image does not display properly.
* Too small: Image resolution is too low. (Images should be at least 320x200)
* Duplicate image: Image is already in the database.
* Too similar: Image is similar to an existing image and is not of significantly better quality.
* Blurry: Image is not well focused.
* Under/Overexposed: Image is too dark or bright or obscured by a reflection from the flash.
* Badly cropped/rotated: Image has too much white space or is sideways or upside-down.
* Wrong game: Image is submitted for the wrong game."

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I saw that min., I was more curious in max.
The reason I ask is that I have been using the geekmod to help approve some images. A large number of the images that people have submitted are in the range of 1400x1700 or bigger which (IMHO) seems a little big. I tend to disapprove those. I just to make sure that I should.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the Geekmod utility, when you mousover the TooBig selection on the decline side it says 3000X2000 is considered too large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say anything over 1600x1200 as too big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Quinn, that is what I was looking for =). Never noticed the rollover info on GeekMod before. Should have, since almost everything else here has that feature.

Thanks Again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lot easier to make a big image small than a small one big... If BGG is willing to host images up to 3000x2000, they should not be declined for size unless they actually are above that number.

But just make sure that it is big enough so that any text is readable. MANY scans of boardgame box backs do not meet this seemingly basic image requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Well, good thing that there is a defined max size, so all GeekMods can follow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
Quote:

Well, good thing that there is a defined max size, so all GeekMods can follow it.

They decided that 3000x2000 is too large so I accept that. The 16x12 is my two cents on the topic. I figure give people a reasonable size to shoot for and if they go over by a little then not a prob. But if you give them a huge size then suddenly we will be swimming in images of freakin Cats, babies, and meeple bigger then King Kong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
If the image is larger than any screen I can imagine it being viewed on, then it's too large. My standard to suspect anything with a vertical size larger than 1600. My browser will show me an image scaled, if it is too big, and if I open my image window to maximum size and it says that's 67%, then that image is much larger than it needs to be. As pointed out above, an image is too large if it's larger than it needs to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
I was previously unaware that the image that opens when I click on the thumbnail is scaled to fit. I've since discovered the phenomenon of the rilly big image. I like the images that fill the screen, as I can make out more detail, but I didn't realise that there was (too) much more. I apologize for my reactionary and uninformed post. Perhaps the standards SHOULD be reassessed.

However...
I've been checking in with the GeekMod posts over the past two weeks, despite the fact that I haven't myself participated. I think the tone of most of the posts runs in two directions: 1)the people posting images are all greedy and stupid, or 2)the other GeekMods are lazy and stupid. I never heard this tone from the permanent mods and admins before GeekMod sprang forth, and I'm wondering whether 1)the ratio of crap:quality has risen, or 2)some of the GeekMods need to take a little break. There's also been a lot of, "I only find images that fall into the x, y, and z categories useful, and I don't have much patience for images in the a, b, or c categories. And haven't we all had enough of image type d?" Everyone finds different types of images useful. I like most of them, but the "Meeples in strange places" images are dead to me. Dead. See what I mean? I think it's postings by certain GeekMods who suggest that they DON'T apply the broad standards that the site ownership has deemed appropriate that led to my reaction above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
For several reasons, 800x600 is almost always your best bet.

If you have some detail that can't be seen at that size, you should consider posting a second photo that's focused in on that detail, rather than submitting a huge image.

See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/671801#671801

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mostly decline stuff that is larger then 1200 unless it is a speficly painted mini or some real peace of art... and then there still is no reason to let it be bigger then 2000. That is in any direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out of curiocity, where do you go to decline or approve new images?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessJester wrote:
out of curiocity, where do you go to decline or approve new images?

In the top menu, far right: "Misc"; then far left "GeekMod".

While we're commenting on images...

I think 3000x2000 or sometimes even bigger can be useful if you need that space to show things. I saw a very large picture of a very detailed board position, and lower resolution would not have shown what the counters were.

But, we really need a way to get rid of images. I (and others) approved some really awful images from Gencon because they were the only images of a new game. Maybe in the Geekmod process, you should be able to recommend an image be re-moderated. For example, one image I rejected but was approved was slightly better picture of an existing image. One I and others approved was a much better picture: the existing images were awful and shouldn't have been approved in my opinion. Another was a tied two-player TtR:E game, which should have replaced the ordinary two-player game picture. (And do we really need pictures of end games for each number of players?) I'm not saying take back the GG, just that as better images come in, we don't need the old images. If the old image can't pass being re-modded, it's not needed.

I think there's a place for funny or satiric images, like the meeple-in-wherever images. But they shouldn't clutter up the real game images. Likewise, illustrations are great for reviews, strategy, and session reports, but should be in those reports, not the general game images. My suggestion is that images be tagged as normal, funny, review, or session. Only normal images should receive GG. The funny images should be their own reward. The review or session images help raise the review or session GG award (if the moderators decide to add a bonus).

The guidelines are good about what not to reject. They aren't so good about what needs rejection, in my opinion. Someone took a picture of what you get in an AoS(?) box, with the bits in their bag and the unpunched counter sheets fanned out. Fair enough. But then they also submitted close ups of each counter sheet. Not only is that unneeded, it's (to me) getting out of let's look at the game, and into copyright infringement.

But the attitude seems to be wink-wink, nod-nod, we all need GG.

PS: Too big pictures: Geekmod ought to detect the size of the picture (it's shown!) and add at the bottom, "Reject unless this picture is of exceptional interest and needs to be this big." I just rejected a couple bigger than 3000x2000 pictures, but I bet they get approved and my correct-moderation percentage goes down.

PPS: I was wrong, they were rejected. I apologize to my fellow geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
In the top menu, far right: "Misc"; then far left "GeekMod".

I completely overlooked that, thank you

And I agree that there should be a way to reevaluate images after a while. As a new Geek myself, some of the games I have looked at have close to 150 images, and I don't know which ones specifically to look into, they just get too cluttered and I end up moving on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
150? Heroscape is nearing 400. Maybe we need more categories of images, after all we have a lot of categories of text. Further splitting those I previously mentioned:
* Unmodified game
* Components
* Games in play
* Modified game
* Wow! (really exceptional pictures of the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another couple cases, I moderated recently:

For Tempus, a guy submitted six or eight images of one game for a session report. I think an illustrated session report for such a hot game (#1 as I write this) is a good thing. But, the session report could suck and be rejected, but there are all those photos. And instead of the usual 1 GG for a seesion report, this guy is going to get a bundle of GG.

In the other case, I got this picture for Wits & Wagers:

I thought about it. It really should be entered under the designer, but it does feature the game, so ok.

Then I get this shot for the designer:

They look the same to me! But now it's where it belongs, so I can hardly disapprove it--besides, the disapproval wouldn't have stuck. Unfortunately, I can't go back and disapprove the previous entry.

I think it would be good if a moderator could go back and change his vote to prevent this kind of thing.

I also think reasons for disapproval (or approval) should be carried through to the following moderators. Then they can see someone thought it was "too similar" or whatever, and think about it.

And I think a disapproval should need at least a couple following approvals to "wash it off". Right now if a minority of moderators catch a problem, they get punished for doing their best to keep the image quality up.

ok, ok, end of rant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
Quote:

I don't follow it. There are 1600x1200 images that are too big and there are 2000x2500 that are OK. It really depends on a lot more than a specific guideline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
For Tempus, a guy submitted six or eight images of one game for a session report. I think an illustrated session report for such a hot game (#1 as I write this) is a good thing. But, the session report could suck and be rejected, but there are all those photos. And instead of the usual 1 GG for a seesion report, this guy is going to get a bundle of GG.

That would be me, although I didn't do it just to get a bunch of gg, I had other motives like having all of the content on the same server(s) and trying to preserve my very limited hosting bandwidth.

For what it's worth, the session report seems to be well recieved.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1034143

It was actually posted before the images were approved, but there was no way for me to really show that during the image submission process, which is why I started a thread suggesting additional moderation metadata.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/122382

As I said in the other thread, I agree that some sort of tagging/grouping/filtering system for images would be very helpful, but I'm not sure about the right way to tweak the gg aspect.

I also agree that the geekmod system could use some additional tweaks because there are several ways to "exploit" the system right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malachi wrote:
That would be me, although I didn't do it just to get a bunch of gg, I had other motives like having all of the content on the same server(s) and trying to preserve my very limited hosting bandwidth.

For what it's worth, the session report seems to be well recieved.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1034143

Thank you for linking to the session report--and for the report itself. I have no regrets about approving those photos now. Thanks for a great report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kleet wrote:

Completely agree. I'm amazed at the number of photos that are in the 2000x1500 range where everything needed to convey the image comment could have been cropped down to 800x600. Sometimes smaller!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.