Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was making a player aid for RRT today and many ideas were running through my head as I worked on adding all the graphics to the RRT board photo.

I was thinking about how you could add another action or type of good to the game and the idea of another cube color came to mind. Green cubes maybe. green cubes could represent... umm... well I didnt know.

So I kept pondering and I remembered that someone mentioned using the red hotels from Monopoly to use to show where someone had one on the board. I went out to one of the many copies of the game and as I picked out the 6 red hotels I could see all these green little houses just sitting there and then it hit me. PEOPLE!

I kept turning this idea over and over in my mind, trying to come up with a good way to use the green houses and have people in the game - hopefully without screwing anything up too much.

So here is the idea:

NEW ACTION - City Expansion $5,000

Place a green house and 2 Green cubes on any GREY city on the board. GREEN cubes represent people who must be delivered to neighboring URBANIZED cities only (Colored cities only). GREEN cubes must be delivered to the FIRST colored city along the link(s) that they pass through. GREEN cubes may pass through any number of GREY cities (as per the normal rules) and points are scored normally for their delivery, 1 point per link including the link to the 1st colored city.

GREEN cubes DO NOT count towards a city having available goods to deliver and a Grey city with only GREEN cubes still receives an empty city marker as usual. Grey cities may only be expanded 1 time and the green houses are left on the board to show which ones have been expanded.

GREEN Cubes are NOT placed into the bag when they are delivered.

SO what do think?

I'm thinking that this rule will accomplish a couple things.

1. It will encourage growth into the south/northwest areas that typically don't see much action.
2. A player that connects up many of these outlying GREY cities can score a lot of points if they make them in a link so each successive city is further away from the destination colored city.
3. Other players can screw you up by simply Urbanizing one of your grey cities - although at cost to themselves too.
4. Making the GREEN cubes able to be delivered to any colored city allows players lots of different ways to connect up the GREY cities to maximize the potential.
5. Standard goods that usually just sit on the remote GREY cities are now more likely to be delivered (as per the normal rules).

I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see any real problems with it (so far). Maybe the cost to expand will change, maybe the number of GREEN cubes will change, maybe the way they score points will change, but I won't know until some of you try it. Feedback will certainly help!

You will need up to 48 Green wooden cubes and 24 Green Monopoly houses to try this expansion. MICHAELS arts/craft store sells small wooden cubes that will simply need to be painted (or borrow some from your El Grande game to try it out).

Congrats to EAGLE GAMES for a outstanding product that is going to see many more playings over the years!

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
GREEN cubes represent people

Soylent green is people!!

...sorry. Had to be done.

Sounds like a potentially cool expansion idea... you should playtest it a bit. What's the thinking behind green cubes not counting towards unempty-ness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ceej wrote:
manowarplayer wrote:
GREEN cubes represent people

Soylent green is people!!

...sorry. Had to be done.

Sounds like a potentially cool expansion idea... you should playtest it a bit. What's the thinking behind green cubes not counting towards unempty-ness?

LMAO! That is classic - it didnt even occur to me. We can now un-officially call this the "Soylent Green Option!" (I think calling it "Passenger Deliveries" would fly better with the masses!)

As, far as your question goes, I just didnt want to change the whole dynamic of the game. I think that by introducing a new action and then not limiting it from extending the game it would end up altering how fast/slow the game could end.

The GREEN people would encourage some more expansion into other areas and also entice people to deliver the goods on these typically overlooked grey cities - possibly ignoring the delivery of goods elsewhere (which would empty those cities anyways) - so it all stays in balance for the most part. It is already extending the game somewhat as you have to build out to these GREY cities, EXPAND them and then deliver the people, all which use up actions which could have been used on existing links and goods thereby emptying those cities faster. Having the GREEN cubes count towards a city's status too just seemed like overkill.

Also, remember that it costs 30K to build a western link -not including the cost of all the links to GET to a western link in the first place. The western link adds 4 red cubes which in turn potentially add 2 more random cubes each for a total of 12 new cubes for 30K ($2,500 per cube).

Expanding a city for 5K keeps that ratio the same as the two green cubes also end up being $2,500 each. If you also make it harder to empty that city, only those wanting to extend the game would consider a CITY EXPANSION action. I dont think people do the Western Link to make the game longer, they do it to get all the delivery points, so I'm trying to encourage the same thing.

As far as playtesting goes, I plan to bring it up at the next game night. Give it a try yourself!

Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.