Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Gamboa
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this has already been discussed in another thread, please excuse me and point me to the thread, still kinda new to navigating this site.

Anyhow, I have been a huge fan of this game for a long time. So much so that I'm considering shelling out for the deluxe edition.

So I'm curious. How do the different art, layout, etc. effect play, in your experience?

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the few people who actually learned Caylus on the Premium board. I understand the critiques on the artwork being too dark and I admit I painted 2 of the cube groups to make them stand apart more, but all in all I think it's a great edition. I love the metal coins and the Landscape style board actually makes more thematic sense as the town grows around the castle which is the thematic goal of the game.

I was lucky to grab an in shrink copy at a convention last May. Is it necessary? I'd say no. I ended up buying a copy of the new edition that came out last year but there are gripes about that edition as well (lawyer being devalued to 2/cube favor track unchanged).

All in all it does NOT change the game at all. All the tiles and rules are the same as in the traditional version.

Unless your a Caylus fanatic (I myself enjoy the game but am not very good at it). I'd say go with the new standard edition. IF you manage to find a copy in good shape for under $100 you can test it out and then sell it for no loss on the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's completely aesthetics. I, too, had to paint two of the cube sets to make the colors easier to distinguish in low light. All the other graphics and components are beautiful and lend a richer, more immersive atmosphere to an already excellent game. If the look and feel of a game is something you value highly in a game then you will probably feel the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played on the original and the deluxe versions and will take the original every time. The dark tones and the similarity of cube colors detracts from game play in the deluxe version. I mean, come on, if two people who like the deluxe version had to re-paint some of the cubes that came with the game, that tells you something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gamboa
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the replies folks.

What's the problem with the cubes? Which ones looks alike?

I already have the second edition, which I'd probably just give to an aspiring board game friend.

Would it solve the problem if I switched out 1 of the sets of cubes between the two editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've never had a problem with the cubes in our group. It's the only version of Caylus that I've wanted to own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarveyFangboner wrote:
Thx for the replies folks.

What's the problem with the cubes? Which ones looks alike?

I already have the second edition, which I'd probably just give to an aspiring board game friend.

Would it solve the problem if I switched out 1 of the sets of cubes between the two editions?

The deluxe edition is gorgeous, the box itself is a work of art..

as is the board...

but, the cube problem??!!

well the gold and purple ones (in my opinion and a lot of others) need to be painted.
this is no real big deal, it should not be needed, but it is to differentiate between colours.
I sorted mine with some very authentic looking gold humbrol paint and deep purple humbrol.

I wouldn't let this minor issue stop you from acquiring a copy of the deluxe job, it rocks.
After all, a lot of games with miniatures require tons of painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it was gold and purple. Under an incandescent light (slightly yellowish in hue) they were SOMETIMES hard to distinguish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Jesus
Chile
San Cristobal
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mark O'Reilly. My wife and I make overhaul must of our games.

We own the deluxe edition and have no problems distinguishing the cubes. We love the artwork (but some people hate it), and I actually complain about the board arrangement of the traditional edition. I find the board of the deluxe edition much better organized and intuitive.

If you love Caylus that much you must get a copy of the deluxe edition, definetly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Silver wrote:
I've played on the original and the deluxe versions and will take the original every time. The dark tones and the similarity of cube colors detracts from game play in the deluxe version. I mean, come on, if two people who like the deluxe version had to re-paint some of the cubes that came with the game, that tells you something.

I have the same experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
Cloth, gold and wood all look similar. In practice, I haven't confused gold with the other two. I'm going to replace the dark brown cubes.

Too bad. I really like this version. I don't even want to play the regular one anymore, with its smaller, fiddlier cubes, cylindrical pawns that fall and roll way, and ugly and similar tiles.

Generally I'm not a fan of faux classy with dark blue and fake gold, but everything comes together so well in this version except the cube colors.

Just paint those offending cubes Sandra!! its quick, easy and cheap!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim W
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another voice of a deluxe edition lover. It will retain a permanent position in my collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.