GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,974 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games as assessment tools rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been to a couple of conferences on gamification for marketing purposes, but recently a presenter spoke about using games for leadership competency assessment.

I want to test things like, how people work in a group dynamic, how they deal with confrontation, analytical ability etc...

Now some of these things could be explored using standard tools, but I am sure that we could also use some games to get the same results.

Ideally i'd make them play Diplomacy for 7 hours, but that's not a realistic expectation....

What I am really after is a long list, that we can try out and see what works. Ideally they need to be simple enough to explain to a non-gamer in 5 mins, and short enough to play through in 20-30 mins.

Currently I have a list of 1 : The Resistance.

So, what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance:Avalon

(The better one of the two, IMHO.)

But I'm not sure if a game where your objective is to lie to avoid being get caught, would give a good assessment of leadership abilities.

No, I don't have a better suggestion, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Zendo. Observe how they form koans [which are implicit guesses], how they make and refine mondos [actual guesses], and how they eventually reach an understanding.

Hanabi. Observe what kind of clues they give and to whom, whether they spread out the clues to best help the team, or focus on just interacting with one person, etc.

Can't Stop. Observe if they have an intuitive grasp of probability, if they are prone to too much or too little risk-taking, and if they are able to adapt both to changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

On Avalon, I agree it is a better game. However, it is more complex with not significant gain on the attributes I want to test.

Zendo looks like it is a pretty cool game, but I can imagine there is quite a lot of contemplation, rather than talking, the same for Can't Stop.

Hanabi looks spot on, I'll see if I can get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cockroach Poker might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Although like Resistance, as it takes so long, Junta would show me the true nature of my coworkers. This game might reveal some unpleasant personality traits about your co-workers, but would truly point out the leader of the group.
With limited time and effort applied a game like Pandemic may be fun while finding out who takes initiative and who has innate problem solving abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
Cockroach Poker might work.
Or Get Bit!...

NateStraight wrote:
Hanabi. Observe what kind of clues they give and to whom, whether they spread out the clues to best help the team, or focus on just interacting with one person, etc.
Great idea. But I would suggest another (more standard) coop game as well (perhaps Forbidden Island) to see more of the group dynamic and if an alpha player emerges. It might even be interesting to plant an alpha player into each group to see how that goes... devil

Bohnanza could be interesting to evaluate their negotiating skill and style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.