Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone ever make new paragraphs for this game? Or find someone who had?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download an excel version of Voyage here:

http://www.garycki.com/pandora.html

It's supposed to be very supped up with more randomization (and I think extra content/paragraphs). Problem for me is I can't get it to run on my PC. I'm sure some setting on my version of excel doesn't allow the game to run properly.

I really like the paragraphs for giving us a pre-made story that is entertaining to read through. It's fun to read a short narrative about what is happening to my crew in between die rolls. Of course it causes replayability to suffer as you become familiar with the paragraphs.

I think this game would be a good candidate for a "modern" treatment in regard to randomizing agents. With card and chit draws as seen in many contemporary solitaire games; content, variety, and randomization could increase, though perhaps with some loss of narrative if the paragraphs were reduced/elimiated.

I'd really like to see random terrain generation in the environs and on the Interstellar Display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony saunders
England
chelmsford
essex
flag msg tools
mb
Pawel excel version - you need to enable macros for it to work.
If you like the game you should certainly give it a go.

Pawel and myself are 6 months into developing a new version of Voyage. He has been fantastic at coming up with hundreds of new ideas for encounters, environments and creatures, for example we wanted a 'build your own robot' section.

As this is on the ipad, I'm also looking to add tactical crew play. It will be top-down, use fog of war, field of view and allow you to interact with the environment and things. Think of Hunters 2 app here.

I've done most of the original VOP game now, but not being able to obtain copyright from decision games, we are working on a version 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
manowargoblin wrote:

I get some feedback loop when I try to start a new game. It takes me to the credit screen for a few seconds and then goes back to the main screen. The tutorial doesn't work either.

I'm pretty sure I've enabled macros; perhaps I'm not doing it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony saunders
England
chelmsford
essex
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure what windows OS you have, but on XP I do the following:

double click on it.
There a banner shown near the top : Security Warning some active content has been disabled, and then an Options button. Click the 'Options' button and select the 'Enable this Content' option.
The screen should readjust and you should be shown a 'Begin Game' button. Click that and the game will load. It does take awhile to generate the tables.

I'm running this on winXP running on a mac via parallels, but it's the same on any windows XP.

If its win7 then you might need to open the spreadhsheet as an administrator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joy Cohn
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think that Decision Games had bought those copyrights in Ares. That's based on comments I've seen in Consimworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uel McAdorey
Canada
Fonthill
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manowargoblin wrote:
If you like the game you should certainly give it a go.

Pawel and myself are 6 months into developing a new version of Voyage. He has been fantastic at coming up with hundreds of new ideas for encounters, environments and creatures, for example we wanted a 'build your own robot' section.

As this is on the ipad, I'm also looking to add tactical crew play. It will be top-down, use fog of war, field of view and allow you to interact with the environment and things. Think of Hunters 2 app here.

I've done most of the original VOP game now, but not being able to obtain copyright from decision games, we are working on a version 2.

Has this been released yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The collaboration has broken. The board game content is 50% designed with pending units, meeting strategies and events. There are 100+ maps on 27 planets each having 5 different versions, there are much more terrains (subsurface oceans, geysers, thickets, methane and acid liquids, clouds, waterfalls, alien roads, exotic matter, supercritical liquids and so on...). There are more planetary characteristics, each characteristic has much more representations (e.g. Savannah climate, hyper-oxygene atmosphere, enourmous gravity, low radiation etc.). There are about 200+ specimens with 1000+ possible meeting conditions. There will be 7 meeting strategies.
But the game development has stopped. There is no incentive to move it forward. Perhaps a Kickstarter would be sufficient. I would like the game to be released as the board game first and then made into PC. What is unclear is the copyright to the original game set. If I cannot obtain it, I need to redesign part of my developed game which is too much based on the original content.
It could also be released as a CyberBoard version if funding is too small. But I cannot proceed without an incentive. The hooby making has some borders - and it is available time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oshiricohn wrote:
I didn't think that Decision Games had bought those copyrights in Ares. That's based on comments I've seen in Consimworld.

I believe that is correct, because in the listing of SPI titles that Decision Games acquired from TSR/SPI back in January 1994 that was published in Strategy & Tactics, none of the Ares Magazine games were listed. Maybe the rights after 30+ years now have reverted back to John Butterfield, otherwise try Hasbro since the magazine was never spun off outside TSR before Hasbro eventually bought up TSR stuff via WotC.

I don't think that One Small Step got anything beyond the use of the name for the new Ares Magazine, but failing the above you might also want to ask them.

The sad fact is that it appears that anything outside the titles Decision Games picked up seems to be in a dark limbo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My collaborator asked Decision Games but got no answer. Also another person interested in doing graphics asked Hasbro but got no answer at all.
John Butterfield could be approached as well.
I am currently performing some sort of collaboration with Phil Eklund on his new High Frontier 3rd edition for which I designed an experimental module called Exploration. I have also made High Frontier to Cyberboard. Phil is a great game designer. Perhaps I should also approach him on the sequel to Pandora and together try to aim for something really ambitious. He is collaborating with OSS for the publishing of High Frontier so he also has a close contact with them.
With the materials I have made (planets, terrains, creatures) and technological focus of Phil (units, spaceship, technology) and maybe ideas from John Butterfield (adventures, creatures' behaviour) and a more modern approach (cards, tokens, thematic dice) we can design a promising game. Also the Randomization & Rebalance systems from the PC version of Pandora could be implemented into the board game to make it even more replayable as the electronic version is.
The story of the biological survey mission would begin where High Frontier Interstellar has ended.
Also the Wreck of Pandora could adapt events in space such as pirates attack, creature attack (80), creature taking control scenario (currently possible in the PC version) or a mad scientist event - but perhaps this is off-topic.

What do you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try John Butterfield then, but be aware there is a chance he doesn't own it and doesn't know who does. Hasbro probably does, but they also probably don't know just how much of it they own. Bad form though that they didn't even answer you.

However, I think your general plan to create something similar to Pandora will probably bear more fruit in the long run rather than just sticking with an updated Voyage game, and have the added bonus of allowing you to include more things that appeal to you. If you can do something like that with Phil, that would be great. But otherwise you may want to consider your other collaboration or just yourself and go for it. I think there is plenty of room for a good Sci-Fi exploration game like Voyage, and it would be a shame to see your ideas go to waste.

Also, best of luck on your endeavor with High Frontier. I'm a big fan of that game, and Phil Eklund as well, so I'd love to see what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the easiest way to find out if there are any rights issues is to announce publication, start working on completion and announce publication dates. That seems to bring people out of the woodwork.

Remember that if the rights are not defended they are lost.

Using this process is a possible way to lose time, if no agreement can be hammered out, or even money if lawyers get involved (and if they smell money lawyers WILL get involved). It is also possible that the "entity" that claims ownership might not even be the owner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Unfortunately the easiest way to find out if there are any rights issues is to announce publication, start working on completion and announce publication dates. That seems to bring people out of the woodwork.

Remember that if the rights are not defended they are lost.

Using this process is a possible way to lose time, if no agreement can be hammered out, or even money if lawyers get involved (and if they smell money lawyers WILL get involved). It is also possible that the "entity" that claims ownership might not even be the owner.

That does seem to be the way of it I'm afraid. It seems that it's not the making, or re-making as it were, of a property under copyright that causes the lawyers to gather. Rather it's the distribution part that causes the hammer to fall, which is why we see these lawsuits happen just before the product goes to market, or soon after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is the point of greatest leverage, to a lawyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, if you make it, perhaps they will buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am able to make it non-intelectual-property issue by removal of the original content from the designed dataset. But because of the legend of "Pandora" it would be better to preserve it. Or to transform it beyond recognition. Note that the "War of the Ring" by Ares/FFG is somewhat similar (if not the Euro-clone, of course much better in a gameplay) to the "War of the Ring" by SPI and there are no legal issues.
Going back to the Pandora topic, the newest dataset (80 maps, 150 creatures) is IMHO better then the legacy one (26 maps, ~50 encounters) because it was not restricted in design. The redesign of the legacy content (but not the complete removal) would aid to the game.
The roadmap would look as follows:
- ask John Butterfield about the initiative
- ask Phil Eklund after Hight Frontier 3rd edition is published if he would like the idea of participating in the design of the next space exploration game
- find the Pandora copyright owners and ask them necessary questions
- depending of their output, decide whether to go on with the legacy content inside the new content or to redesign it (or to remove if there are serious threats)
- complete the design of units, events and encounter strategies
- design the more detailed characteristics of creatures
- design the higher level rules (tech levels, possible multiplayer, better spaceflight, space agency issues etc.)
- put the initial content to the Cyberboard
- playetest the initial content
- identify the most unused rules and content and redesign it or remove
- make some too difficult rules more Euro-style
- playtest the final content
- try to publish the board game
- make a PC/tablet version with Randomization & Rebalance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The War of the Ring non-issue is partly because they are completely separate games with different rules and art. Only the name remains the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.