Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbies - Operations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Muhammad Azwan Dahlan
Malaysia
Kepala Batas
Penang
flag msg tools
badge
Wahatever you do... DON'T... FALL... ASLEEP...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo,

I'm new here. (I am new to the boardgames' world. laugh)

I read the rules lastnite, and got a question regarding playing cards as Operation during Action round.

If I play card for Operations, which benefits opponent, the event occurs. What if I play card, also for Operation, which benefits me?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The event does not happen and the card is discarded, to possibly re-enter the game at a later shuffle.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jablow
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play a card in an Action Round, here are the possibilities.

Friendly or Neutral Event Card:

If the event is not blocked by earlier events and any prerequisites are satisfied:

1. Play for Operations, or
2. Play for Event, or
3. Play on Space race (if legal).

If the event is blocked, or prerequisites are not met, may use for 2 or 3.

Enemy Event Card:

If the event is not blocked by earlier events and any prerequisites are satisfied:

1. Enemy conducts Event, then you conduct Operations, or
2. You conduct Operations, then Enemy conducts Event, or
3. Play with UN Intervention. You conduct Operations, Event does not occur.
4. Play on Space Race (if legal). Event does not occur.

In the Headline Phase, both cards must be played as events. If you play an Enemy Event, the Enemy conducts it, but it is your card for the purpose of Nuclear War. US play of Defectors cancels the USSR card.

If the event does not occur, discard the card afterwards. If it does occur, even if it had no effect, discard or remove the card from the game depending on the card text.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Azwan Dahlan
Malaysia
Kepala Batas
Penang
flag msg tools
badge
Wahatever you do... DON'T... FALL... ASLEEP...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you sir for a quick reply. Help me a lot to understand the game.

But, is that okay if i ask one more question? This time is about Space Race action.

Let say, I choose to do the Space Race action in Action round. So, i discard any card that achieves the requirement OP,

1) do the event occur? How about opponent's event card, which is used for the Space Race action?

2)(I think I missunderstood on this one. Correct me!) after Space Race, is that a must to roll a die or have some circumstances in order to roll die? If i roll succesfully a die in the given range, move my space marker to the next box, right or..? If i am right, do I get immedietly the advantage stated or I need to wait the next turn on Action round?

For example: i used 3 OP for the first box on Space Race Track. Then, i roll a die and luckily get 2. so, i move the marker to the 'Animal in Space', which now I may discard 2 cards. Can i immedietly discard two cards for that particular turn or the next turn?

Thanks.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Azwan Dahlan
Malaysia
Kepala Batas
Penang
flag msg tools
badge
Wahatever you do... DON'T... FALL... ASLEEP...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EricRJ wrote:
If the event is blocked, or prerequisites are not met, may use for 2 or 3.



I dont understand this one. That means, if I play my event card, which event is blocked or prerequisites are not met, I am not allowed to do Operations, only Event. But how to carry out Event, if my card is even blocked? Correct me, if I have gone far wrong! Hahaha
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Fröberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
Seize the Road
badge
For Captain Hammer!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
azwandahlan wrote:
Let say, I choose to do the Space Race action in Action round. So, i discard any card that achieves the requirement OP,

1) do the event occur? How about opponent's event card, which is used for the Space Race action?

No, events does not happen when you play a card on the Space Race (doesn't matter if it's yours or your opponents). The Space Race is a way to get rid of nasty events (at least for a while, since they're discarded and can come back into play).


azwandahlan wrote:

2)(I think I missunderstood on this one. Correct me!) after Space Race, is that a must to roll a die or have some circumstances in order to roll die? If i roll succesfully a die in the given range, move my space marker to the next box, right or..? If i am right, do I get immedietly the advantage stated or I need to wait the next turn on Action round?

For example: i used 3 OP for the first box on Space Race Track. Then, i roll a die and luckily get 2. so, i move the marker to the 'Animal in Space', which now I may discard 2 cards. Can i immedietly discard two cards for that particular turn or the next turn?

When you play on the Space Race, the following happens:
1. You discard a card with enough Ops (if you try to move to a box which requires a 2 Ops-card, it's okay to discard 2, 3 or 4 Ops card). Remember that Red Scare/Purge, Containment and Brezhnev Doctrine affects the value of cards discarded.
2. You roll a die. If the roll is a success, you move to the next box, otherwise you stay.
3. If you're the first to reach a box with an advantage, you immediately get that advantage. For example, if you move to the "Animal in Space" box, you have the opportunity to discard another card on the Space Race this turn (during another Action Round). If your opponent reaches the same box, you immediately lose that advantage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
azwandahlan wrote:
EricRJ wrote:
If the event is blocked, or prerequisites are not met, may use for 2 or 3.



I dont understand this one. That means, if I play my event card, which event is blocked or prerequisites are not met, I am not allowed to do Operations, only Event. But how to carry out Event, if my card is even blocked? Correct me, if I have gone far wrong! Hahaha


Actually I think it should say 1 or 3, i.e. operations or space race.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.