Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay ... so tonight I played Settlers of Catan with both the Cities and Knights and Seafarers expansions ... AND all the requisite 5-6 player expansions. I know this isn't an earth shattering question but I'm curious how others would log that ... I'm inclined to log it as a game played for each component, but then wouldn't it show up as six games played?

I know that in the end it doesn't matter to anyone but me ... but I'm curious how other people handle things like expansions and accessories in their game logs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it does matter. I look at games played to make assessments of games that are popular. I don't know what the best answer is, but I think logging them all in would be OK. That way we know what is being played, even though it might seem a bit skewed. Good point.

caltexn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question!

I can see the same thing happening with Carc.

I guess if the "total games played" count is important, then you won't want to log everything. In that case, log just the base game, unless just one expansion was used, then log the expansion.

If what you played is more important that the "total games played" count, then log everything but the base game since that would be implied.

I'd personally log everything but the base game since knowing what I played is more important than a total count, and when looking at the data I would be able to tell that it was really just one play.

Best of luck!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would just go ahead and log everything, even though it might make the numbers look a bit off. Hope you enjoyed the game meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't it possible to log games/expansions as 0.1 time? That way the game was logged as played but didn't show up in the total of games played.

SoC: 1x
SoC - C&K: 0.1x
SoC - SF: 0.1x
SoC - 5+6: 0.1x
SoC - C&K 5+6: 0.1x
SoC - SF 5+6: 0.1x

EDIT: yep, that still works. In your list you would get:

SoC: x1
SoC - C&K: x0
SoC - SF: x0
SoC - 5+6: x0
SoC - C&K 5+6: x0
SoC - SF 5+6: x0

Your total is correct (1 game) AND you see what you played (SoC with all expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
Wasn't it possible to log games/expansions as 0.1 time? That way the game was logged as played but didn't show up in the total of games played.

SoC: 1x
SoC - C&K: 0.1x
SoC - SF: 0.1x
SoC - 5+6: 0.1x
SoC - C&K 5+6: 0.1x
SoC - SF 5+6: 0.1x

EDIT: yep, that still works. In your list you would get:

SoC: x1
SoC - C&K: x0
SoC - SF: x0
SoC - 5+6: x0
SoC - C&K 5+6: x0
SoC - SF 5+6: x0

Your total is correct (1 game) AND you see what you played (SoC with all expansions).

Thank you very much, that DID work (and thank you to others for your suggestions as well). I think very few realize this, however. I looked through total plays for the month, and only one other person was logging the expansions this way.

The only potential downside I noticed is that when you look at total game plays for the month, it doesn't show how truly popular the expansions are or aren't. For example, Cities and Knights the 5-6 player expansion has 53 plays in January ... however it only shows up as 51 plays because myself and another user logged it using the .1 method.

Oh well ... nothing's perfect I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
Personally I would just go ahead and log everything, even though it might make the numbers look a bit off. Hope you enjoyed the game meeple

As a matter of fact, I did! I pulled off a stunning "from the back of the pack six victory-point final turn" for the win. Threw down five paper to gain the megalopolis (2 points). Played a road building card to steal longest road (2 points), reaching my first outer island of the game where I built a settlement (2 points). devil

It was a good game. Two players had only played "vanilla" catan before and were learning the expansions so it was a little bit of a learning curve but it was fun for all. The trading was hot and heavy and that always makes the game fun as far as I'm concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.