Mike Compton
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It Came To Pass" is pretty much a party game so writing a strategy article for it is almost contradictory. Nevertheless, when I played it with my friends for a while (it seemed like almost every night for a good stretch there) I ended up winning a hefty majority of the games. So, here are a few simple tips:

1. Take notice of which cards the person to your right and left are taking off the discard pile. If they take a high numbered card, then don't ever discard a card of that same color for them to pick up because it is 99.9% likely that they have a "Charity" of that color. Otherwise, they would be taking cards off the draw pile in hopes of getting something that would be more helpful.

2. Continuously arrange your hand so that your current highest card is on the end and then stay vigilantly attentive for Mercy cards to be played. Having such a card on the end makes it easier to discard it because you aren't wasting valuable time trying to get it out of the middle of your hand. Discarding your highest card through a Mercy will not only decrease your hand size but it will decrease your overall score as well. Part of the reason why I won so many games was simply because I had quicker hands than many of my opponents (I happen to be a percussionist) and because they didn't have their highest card ready to play. They realized a Mercy was down but then had to look at their hand and make a decision about what to play. I didn't have to make a decision because I had already made it earlier and had arranged my cards accordingly.

3. If you have "Secret Combination" cards, it's usually best to discard them on "Mercy" cards as your throw-away card before drawing and discarding. It is best to not get involved in secret combos and, if you have to, do so with someone who is not close to you in overall score (if you are playing over several rounds). *This tip depends on whether or not you play by the rule that you can discard on a "Mercy" and then draw and discard. If you do, then, aside from these tips, simply having quick hands will win games for you because it will decrease the total number of cards you have in your hand - thus increasing your chances for reaching a zero score through Charities or reaching a low enough score to "pass" and go negative.

4. Always treat your "Desolation" cards as your highest card and use it to discard on Mercy cards. *This tip applies if your group allows for Desolations to be legally played as a quick discard on Mercy cards. After Desolations, discard Secret Combo cards. If you don't have any Desolation cards or Secret Combo cards, then discard cards of a color that you have seen the person to your right or left take high numbers off of the dicard pile because you will then get to draw and play - thus preventing that person from benefiting from your discarding of that original card.

5. It's usually best to not try "passing" unless you have either 2 or 1 as your total score. Otherwise, the risk is too high.

6. If you do find yourself in a secret combination, divide the labor. Have one person holding the highest card, waiting to pounce on a Mercy, and the other person holding the rest of your team's hand. It's much more efficient.

7. If someone else has "passed" use "Unbelief" cards to skip them or "Repentance" cards to change the direction of play in the attempt to lengthen the game out for as long as you can before it finally becomes their turn again and everyone reveals their hand total. The longer a game goes, the more likely it is that someone else other than the "passer" will go "out" with a zero total or at least get a total low enough to undercut the person who passed.

8. It is usually safer to "pass" earlier in the game rather than later if you can. If you get a score of 2 or 1 REALLY early then go ahead and pass. The odds are significantly against someone else having a lower score earlier but those odds change as the game runs longer.

9. Use your Justices wisely. It is usually best to play them on someone who appears to be doing well (i.e. they have a lower total number of cards in their hand and/or they are discarding cards that are not very high in numerical value).

Well, there you have it - a strategy article for a party game. I should mention that it's been a while since I've played this game as of this posting. Nevertheless these are the main pointers that I remember from my experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Compton
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also remember that, with the right crowd, this game can be a lot of fun .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.