4 Posts

John Prados' Third Reich» Forums » Variants

Subject: Home rules ideas : AFV license rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robin mong
France
flag msg tools
Here are a few idea of rules modifications I'm thinking about trying one of those days.
They aim to either re-balance some aspect of the game, or make it more historical.

AFV license
Replace the chit in the container every time it is drawned and write down how many times it happened. the Italian player is allowed to build-up ONE of his ARM corps for each AFV license chit drawned in the game.
Once improved, a given corp can be repared and re-built normally.

this chit is important but a bit to powerful I think, and to "all or none". If there was a way to print new chits, I would probably print 4 AFV license (but it makes the other chits less likely so we should be careful about adding chits in the container).
The other option would be to make 3-5 ARM for Italy instead of 4-5. Or even 2-5 but with a reduced side to 1-5 would be nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Goldman
msg tools
mbmbmb
on principle, you are right that the chit is powerful, but there's simply not enough time in the game for it to play out as you suggest. There are perhaps 22 chit draws, and you suggest that it should take several identical draws to achieve one event.

As an alternative, why not just allow the Italian player to upgrade only one corps per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expense of building 3 AFV up to full strength (12BRP) is strain enough on the dodgy Italian war industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We set two preconditions on the AFV License event. Italy only gets the benefits of it if:

(1) The "Oil in Libya" event has also been drawn (answering the question of how they'd fuel/finance more motor/mech units), and

(2) Italy controls Libya (i.e. the fuel)

If/When Libya is lost, previously converted armor/mech/motor units, when eliminated, are replaced by their original counters in the dead pool.

It's a very restrictive rule, but provides a logical balance to an otherwise too-powerful event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.