As I said in the earlier thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93042), I had a few more questions for HiG, and I've just received the answers. There's a couple of surprises in there too:
1) Question: Can followers be deployed to the fields, cities and roads on the outer tiles of the City of Carcassonne via a magic gate?
Ansswer: No, that would just cause trouble. Would they then be protected from the dragon, or could the dragon indeed move onto the fields and only rampage outside the city? But the dragon empties the whole field.
2) Question: Can the fairy be moved to the outer tiles of the City of Carcassonne?
Answer: It follows from 1) that it can't.
3) Question: Does you receive the bonus from the the pig-herd tile even if you don't have a pig on the field?
Answer: Yes, the pig herd is a neutral pig, so to speak.
4) Question: When using the princess tile to remove an opponent, can you still move the fairy to one of your own tiles?
Answer: No, for the same reason as with volcanos.
5) Question: When a player is forced to place a tile on a city occupied by another player, and therefore cannot deploy a follower, can they still move the fairy? Or is it the same as being forced not to deploy a follower when placing a volcano tile?
Answer: In this case he may move the fairy, since the volcano rule does not apply here.
1) is a bit odd, as I would have thought it was possible. A bit of reverse logic going on there, I think. You can't use the magic gate to move a follower to the fields surrounding Carcassonne because the dragon can't go there - odd.
3) is interesting: there's a thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/72924) where we debated precisely this and concluded that the bonus of the pig herd was dependent on having a pig too. Oh well.