Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Goode
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier today I was teaching this game to a couple of friends, and my father happened to be nearby. While explaining the special actions rules, he pointed out that that was the title given to SS units, and their missions, that were made to round up and kill Jews. That hadn't crossed my mind before while reading the rules or playing the game, although I was aware of that fact.

I'm sure that this was completeley unintentional on the part of the designers, but still, it's certainly poor word choice, given the setting of the game. Just thought that I would point it out, in hopes of a change of terminology in any subsequent printings of this wonderfull game.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes - We indeed had no idea of this second meaning. Since your father was the first person to bring this up in the more than two years since the games been published, hopefully it did not occur to anyone else either.

This is indeed unfortunate, but just because the Germans chose to give evil meaning to words that are not evil, does not mean we should stop saying or using the non-evil words. They are widely in use now and gamers are accustomed to and seem to like the phrase.

None of the Special Action Uses in the game are non-military or oppressive to civilians in nature, so I'm pretty sure we're ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick,

I totally agree with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your father referring to the SA?- the Sturm Abteilung. That was a group prior to WWII that was formed by Hitler as a political force, not military. They were the Brown Shirts, a group of thugs. And they were armed as well, but they were not the SS. Hitler subsequently dismantled the SA for fear of it's growing power under Ernst Roehm. It was a purge called the Night of the Long Knives. The SS grew in power in the wake of it's destruction.

Actually, perhaps, I'm wrong- special actions does come to mind for SS missions. Anyhow, it's almost insane for Rick Young to even respond to such a question about a game. Silly.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P S
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can`t say that only the SA was involved in crimes against the Jews. Also the SS participated in crimes. But it`s still an very unexplored terrain.
In general you have to distinguish between the SS and the Waffen- SS. The latter were the "famous" elite units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not the SA. The Einsatzkommandos-who in fact did more killing than the concentration camps did-would refer to their mass roundups and executions as Special Actions.

Still, it's clear that the context for EE's Special Actions are completely different. I don't think it's a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it's not a problem. We're talking games here people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.