Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
these level green cards once defeted as reward say something along the lines of you can pass this to another player.
to change his movement dice or stop him roliing two movement dice.

then goes on to say that player can do the same back to other players.

1st question when deafted and passed on does the other person have to fight it again?

2nd question, how many times can it be passed around, will it stay in play permimently, or will it die(discarded) after its doen its job once?

3rd is its classed as a ally?

4th so its really bad in two player really isnt it.

5th if it stay in play is there any card that will get rid of it latter in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Everytime ive played where those cards were brought up ive read it, then passed it around and had unanimous agreement that the card was too stupid to use and we just discarded it.
Maybe im greatly misinterpreting it but it sounds to me to be like you say - passed around for the remainder of the game. Especially stupid in 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin lariz
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So from playing this on tues and having recieved both of those here are what I took to be the answers to your questions:

1st question when deafted and passed on does the other person have to fight it again?
No, the only benefit once the encounter has been defeated is the moding of other players.

2nd question, how many times can it be passed around, will it stay in play permimently, or will it die(discarded) after its doen its job once?
It sounds like it is definately intended to stick around for the remainder of the game.

3rd is its classed as a ally?
It is not classified as an ally, and I do not believe there are any limits to the number of adventure cards that you can keep when instructed to do so. (with the exception of one that states that it becomes an ally)

4th so its really bad in two player really isnt it.
It would seem to be really bad in two player.

5th if it stay in play is there any card that will get rid of it latter in the
I am not aware of any, but I have not read every single card in the game.

On a side note, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Jesse. I got both of these and never used them. I suppose it is all personal preference and there are probably many players that would use them, but the only time I would ever use it is on someone who used it against me first. And even then you're just giving it back to them to use against you later.

--Vext

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Im just wondering.. is there ANYONE out there who has a different interpretation of these cards? I just cant bring my self to believe that this was really the intention when designing these cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this card is annoying with 2 players, but it can be kept until played at the right time.
In a 3+ game it can act as a balancing tool, as supposedly it will played on the perceived leader. That doesn't mean it's no longer annoying but it has a game function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to go on record as stating that I thought these two cards were SO dumb, that I actually tore them in half. On a dare from a buddy after I threatened to do so.

...and I am crazy fastidious about my games and their condition. This is saying something. Stupid, stupid cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife feels the same way you people do about these cards, but as I pointed out to her, you're all wrong. Yes, it IS stupid to just pass them around for the rest of the game. What a pain in the butt! But they do have an excellent use. Let's take the one that makes you dump two movement dice. I'm at a city and I plan to travel by road to another city. My opponent is in the mountains looking for adventure. I play the card. Suddenly, he's down to only three dice and desperately trying to get a mountain. NOT easy. He passes it back to me. I only get three dice... but I'm looking for roads. EASY. Thus I've created a situation where he may very well not get to move at all and I will always be moving. Once I'm considering crossing difficult terrain like forest or mountains, I KEEP the card and stop passing it. I only pass the card when I'm looking for easy terrain and my opponent is looking for difficult terrain. If I get any of the other items or allies that allow me to manipulate my own movement dice, I'll consider passing the card even more as they will be hindered far more than I will.

OK, but you're thinking this still sounds like a lot of passing. Not if ALL of the players can see what's happening. As with my first example, if I pass it to you while you're in the mountains, you'd be a fool to give the card back to me until you're looking for easier terrain.

What I've said above can apply to just about any of the cards that mess up movement and get passed around, but let's focus on Atavax and his -2 movement dice. My hero is unwounded and yours has just exhausted himself during an adventure. BAM! I toss Atavax at you. If you want to rest at all, you're movement is nearly nothing. If you DON'T rest everything back, you're only rolling TWO dice per turn to move.

Notice that everything I've described is NOT dependent on the number of players either. The pros and cons are more straightforward when there are fewer players though. At some point in a larger game, a player will likely be torn between tossing it on someone it will hurt the most and tossing it back at the player who through it on you. I can see not wanting to even mess with those cards then.

But why throw out perfectly nice cards like this? Why not just modify them slightly if you can't stand them as they are? The easiest mod is to say you can only throw them on someone who has more experience than you do. That makes the cards function as a mechanism to slow the leaders and give the laggers a chance to catch up. Such mechanisms are very useful in a game where a single Knockout can set you back so far that you might never be able to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, you make good points. What this does, though is cause the owner to check the other guys' movement rolls everytime to see if there is some way to screw him. And, once there is, the cycle starts again. It just slows the game down, and that's the last thing that Runebound needs. In fact, that's my least favorite things about the Character Decks as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
Sure, you make good points. What this does, though is cause the owner to check the other guys' movement rolls everytime to see if there is some way to screw him. And, once there is, the cycle starts again. It just slows the game down, and that's the last thing that Runebound needs. In fact, that's my least favorite things about the Character Decks as well.

That's certainly true of some of them. One of them lets you change a die. I just usually glance to see if he rolled a single forest or a single mountain. Otherwise, I don't care. But others might take a lot longer there.

The other one that eliminates two dice up front wouldn't be a problem though.

In your case, I'd consider the idea of only being able to use it on someone with more experience than you. It'd still work, but it'd probably be used a lot less often and eventually it will trickle up to the highest EXP player and be stuck for a while. I suppose you just not use that part of the reward too. Or make it a single use against anyone you want to and then it's gone. Hmmmm, I think I like that change better than the zapping high EXP only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every card has its use... these are great "screw you" cards if you're playing active PvP or at least messing with other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I totally understand the use of the these two cards. I just choose not to play with them to make the game more fun for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Losberg
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
We ran into the wasp card in a 2 player game, after swapping it a few times we decided that on future games it can only go from one player to another once, so in a 2 player game, both players get to use it once, in a 3 player game each player can use it twice (but against different opponents) and so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had similar questions about these cards and considered them similarily dumb. Though I did wonder, do you think the wording "another player" could mean a player other than the one who just used it on you?

Hence it would go around to everyone once basically, except for the person who started it, since once someone gets it they are "immune" to it? Or at least make it so there are no "tag-backs" on the same person who just used it on you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
I also had similar questions about these cards and considered them similarily dumb. Though I did wonder, do you think the wording "another player" could mean a player other than the one who just used it on you?

Hence it would go around to everyone once basically, except for the person who started it, since once someone gets it they are "immune" to it? Or at least make it so there are no "tag-backs" on the same person who just used it on you?

I don't think that's the intention of the cards, no. I think all players are game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I played tonight for the first time, and we took a co-operative approach to the game. Using Sky of Wasps, we were able to occasionally help one another out with that final move into a swamp for a quest when I needed it, or onto a mountain for a blue adventure when he needed it. Used in kind, I found it surprising but enjoyable. Try it sometime. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Danville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also found these cards to be simply too time consuming to use. My group doesn't really do well with taking cards out or changing rules, so I handle this nicely by effectively discarding these once they are played on me (or if I draw them first).
Yes, I do see their uses, and somewhat understand their intention, but I'm simply not a fan of slowing down the game even more.

On a side note, there was a rules discussion over the Wasps card the first time it popped up. We quickly agreed on something, but just thought I'd see if any of you had a similar situation.

We had one player question if you had to use the card right after the opponent rolled the dice, or if you could wait to see how they were planning on using the dice to move along the map and change a die that was necessary to continue, etc. We assumed that it had to be used after rolling (most because if not, the opponent would waste even more time figuring out how to bluff to get you to change the wrong thing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.