GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,553 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Subject: Gaming possibilities and accommodation advice in NYC? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm spending four days in New York with my wife and two-year-old, and am hoping for a bit of advice. My knowledge of New York is pretty much limited to Alicia Keys singalongs and Castle.

We've found a place on Madison Avenue, somewhere between East 61 and 72. Is this a pretty good area? I'd rather not meet Nathan Fillion as a homicide victim (Firefly cosplay stalker would be much better).

Assuming it's a good place to stay, are there any wonderful games stores nearby? I suspect that I won't get a chance to abandon my family and spend a day gaming, but I'm sure I can manage a quick visit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The neighborhood is fine. It's a little but stuffy but not at all dangerous. You'll be right near Central Park and just north of some big shopping areas. It might not be the most interesting neighborhood to spend your time, but you can get around the city and come back to it.

There's 1 primary game store in Manhattan: The Compleat Strategist. But if you're looking to find people to spend some time playing a game with, you'd be better off checking out meetup.com and seeing what's going on for the days you'll be there. Another game store where people play, albeit in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) is the 20-Sided Store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That neighborhood is both safe and upscale so you've nothing at all to concern yourself with. FireFly cosplayers though, forget it. Head downtown to the East Village.

As Matt suggested Compleat Strategist is the only place you'll find a sizable designer boardgame selection in Manhattan itself, and if you're in town on a Monday or Tuesday night, NYeek on Meetup hosts the best game nights in the area. (usually 40-60 in attendance on the second floor of a bar/restaurant in the Village)

While the Park is lovely, and there are a few great Museums up that way, do make an effort to get downtown and experience more of NYC than that area alone can offer. (and by that I mean Chelsea/Village/Soho/Noho and walking the Highline as examples, as opposed to the likes of Times Square)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

As luck would have it, the apartment looks like it has fallen through. We already had our first place cancel (she discovered that she wasn't actually allowed to sublet), and we're heading over in just under two weeks, so a little frustrating. I may end up smuggling an airbed into Compleat Strategist and camping there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There isn't room to WALK in the Compleat Strategist!

If roleplaying and SF is your thing, don't miss ... Forbidden Planet at Union Square! (I'll check my notes on that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ G. wrote:
There isn't room to WALK in the Compleat Strategist!

I was there on a Saturday recently. It was pretty much single-file through the aisles. Very impressive selection - even more packed with games than I remember from years back.

Here's a Google Maps Link of the store that gives you the feel of being there. You can click on the floor to move around and click and drag to look around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.