Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I describe my method of resolving ties below, but I welcome other people's suggestions. My method has been altered from earlier posts because of the 'Imhotep+Wonder' one turn buy possibility.

In the Production phase, when a player cashes a set or sets which would win him the game, he places the sets to one side and building continues as normal (he chooses which heroes or wonders he is buying, (placing any freebies) and they cannot be bought by anyone else, unless he bought the Pyramids- any number of people can buy the Pyramids on the same turn). At the end of the Production phase, if only 1 player has a game winning set, he wins. If not, all players who cashed them are tied and go to tie resolution:

First, all tied players work out who among them would be Political Director if only they were standing. Athena can be used at this point. That player is the winner. If there is a tie for this, the players who tied move on to High Priest, and then Director of Commerce, finally comparing who would be Military Leader: if that is a tie too the game is drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to personally see a tie with the Mythology expansion. This was my only real complaint with the basic game so I'm happy to see that it has perhaps been resolved. There seems to be so much more flexibility in the expansion that there are many additional ways to outwit your opponents. As for a tie breaker, we came up with a victory point variant over on the game's main entry that you may be interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we had ties in 3 of the 7 games I played...guess it depends on playstyle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe so. I've only played a handful of games with the expansion so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we've finished at least half a dozen games with the expansion now and have yet to see a tie. As for your system of breaking ties, it throws the favor in Greece and Egypt's direction. It's unlikely anyone else will control the Political directorship because those two are natural tax powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but that is intentional because the Political Director would win ties under normal rules (he just allows himself to build first). Actually it weighs against Egypt and Greece to a degree, because everyone now has increased interest in cities ands temples, so they will be in shorter supply...not to mention that people may start buying Solomon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see what's wrong with just leaving it as a tie. Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but I quite like game that you can tie in. As long as it doesn't happen too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it isn't left as a tie: the winner is the person who can build a winning item and builds first, which is decided by the Political Director.
Now if you want to remove the Political Director from the frame and just say all wins on the same move are ties,that is fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah right. Yeah I'd go for all wins on the same move being a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We finally had a tie with the expansion - Greece and Carthage. We'll see if it happens again. If so, we may give the victory point variant a go. It's a pretty clean method of breaking ties.

Game end is triggered by 4 wonders or the pyramids. Everyone finishes the political phase. Caravans and cities are worth 1 point, markets and temples are worth 2 points, heroes and wonders are worth 4 points, and the pyramids are worth 8 points. Sets of unspent cards are worth the same points as what they could have bought (ie if two people could have bought the pyramids both get 8 points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game with the expansion for the first time last night. 6 players - 3 way tie. With Egypt as the Political Leader, Greece, Rome, and Babylon all could buy their 4th hero on the same turn. Not a particularly satisfying ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the long version should reduce ties a bit. If you haven't worked out a tie resolution system before hand you just have to accept it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Playing the long version should reduce ties a bit. If you haven't worked out a tie resolution system before hand you just have to accept it though.

I understand. However, this aspect of the game just reduces my enjoyment of it. I think it is a fairly significant weakness in the game. It isn't a bad game, just a game that I think has a significant flaw. Having to come up with a "tie resolution system" doesn't seem to be my job - it is something that the game designer should have worked through.

I give the game a 6.5 without the expansion, and 7 with. I'm sure I'll play it again sometime, but there are other games that I will suggest before this one - largely for the reason discussed in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
We finished a game last night with the mythology expansion that featured a three-way tie that didn't involve the political director. I like the idea of this tie-breaking system, however I still feel it puts too much importance on the political director title.

A Civ that is chosen first to build a last hero/wonder first by the current political director has first crack at taking the hero that gives a bonus for that leader - thus the political director is still kingmaking somewhat. Further, civs like Rome and Carthage are immediately at a disadvantage for not having a viable way of winning it, even in a shortened field for tie-breaking purposes.

What do you think of reassigning all of the leaders at the end of building to the tied players and awarding the victory to whomever has the most leader cards? I'm also a fan of prioritizing a pyramids victory above a heroes/wonders victory, but that's a separate issue.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.