Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was just watching an episode of How It's Made, and after they went through the process of showing how safety razors and their blades are made, I'm now thinking about getting one. Anyone else use one of these? I'm looking at some items on Amazon and it appears that one can get a decent entry model for $30-40, but the blades for them are much cheaper than I'm shelling out for a Gilette Mach 3.

Also, moving to a double-bladed safety razor moves me one step closer to the pinnacle of manliness -- straight razors, straight whiskey, black coffee, quality cigars, bitchin' facial hair, red meat, and tree felling.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy packs of 3 or 4 in the pound shop (disposable) do you really have to spend that much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grow a beard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also:

No one reads threads anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
I find a chainsaw helps with the tree fellin. Unless you're a beaver, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
I switched to safety razor when I got one this past Christmas (it's a Merkur Classic). I can get 100 blades for around $8 (I use Derby) and so far have averaged about 8-10 shaves per blade, so it is hella cheaper than Mach whatever.

Beyond price, though, the shave is the best I've had. Incredibly close and smooth, with little irritation. And the whiskers that grow back are softer (at least, my wife complains about them a lot less than when I was using electric). You need to take a little time with it (especially at first) AND make sure you use plenty of very hot water, but otherwise it's all good. This is the first time I've been able to shave against the grain (and live to tell about it). Once in a while I'll get a bum blade that irritates me from the first for some reason, but with the blades so cheap I just pitch it and get a new one. I'm very happy that I switched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
polychrotid wrote:
I find a chainsaw helps with the tree fellin. Unless you're a beaver, that is.

I fell the trees to get the beaver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My father collected razor blade sharpeners (sharpening DE blades, along with straight blades). That grew to old boxes of blades, barber poles, etc.

I would bet his collection was one of the biggest in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
I always had an amazing amount of trouble shaving and tried several different cartirdge razors before a shaving forum I was reading led me to buy a safety razor..I think mine was ~30 and came with some sharps blades. I got a decent badger brush and some proraso too.. My first couple shaves went well enough but I was still getting some pretty bad ingrowns due to the fact that my beard hair grows in 15 different directions. The actual safety razor shaving process isnt bad as long as you soak your brush while you take a shower so its bristles are soft and you soften your beard hair. And you take your time and down press the razor into your face (mmm cuts) like you have to with cartridges sometimes.

I would up switching to feathers and getting some tend skin to put on as aftershave..But I was still having problems with ingorwn hairs but I was getting a really nice smooth shave. Since then I have stopped shaving altogether and just have a hobo beard that I trim down when it gets too long but I never shave it completely off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a safety razor when I lived in the Philippines back in 1987. It was great and I used it for about 10 years before it broke during a move.

I was pretty sad, but have never replaced it. I may have to do some shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmb
http://www.razorpit.com/

Looks like a wide rubber doorstop. "Sharpens" (cleans guck out of) disposable razors. Look for it. It's expensive, but it will eventually pay for itself. I suppose if I bought more expensive disposables, then it'd pay for itself faster. I have not bought any more of my cheap bic razors for a year now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vintage Gillette safety razors can be found for cheap at thrift shops and tag sales on just about any given Saturday. I use a Gillette adjustable Fatboy I found for $3.00. Excellent shave, cheap blades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.