Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Scenario:

I place a tile that completes MY city and immediately score. I get my meeple back. Can I still place a meeple on the tile I just placed, since I've yet to place a meeple?

2nd Scenario:

I place a tile that completes ANOTHER players city and they immediately score. They get their meeple back. Can I still place a meeple on the tile I just placed, since I've yet to place a meeple?

Can I ALWAYS place a meeple on a tile just placed?
Or can I only place a meeple in scenario 2?
Or can I never place a meeple after ANYBODY is scored?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I undestand it the sequence of play is as follows
1) place a tile (compulsory)
2) place a meeple (optional)
3) Score any features completed by action 1.

This solves your problem. If 2 and 3 are reversed then you couldn't complete a feature and score it on that turn, which is explicitly alloed by the rules: if you had scoring both before and after meeple placing you could complete someone's feature and so remove their meeple, and then place your meeple in that very feature and score for it, clearly not the designer's intent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
As I undestand it the sequence of play is as follows
1) place a tile (compulsory)
2) place a meeple (optional)
3) Score any features completed by action 1.

This solves your problem. If 2 and 3 are reversed then you couldn't complete a feature and score it on that turn, which is explicitly alloed by the rules: if you had scoring both before and after meeple placing you could complete someone's feature and so remove their meeple, and then place your meeple in that very feature and score for it, clearly not the designer's intent!

I'm not looking to score on the same city that was just scored. I'm simply looking to place a farmer on the tile that was just placed that scored for either myself or another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes you think you can't place the farmer? I mean, assuming another meeple isn't already in the farm and you have a meeple to place. That happens in step 2 just like I said. Before scoring, so if you have used all your meeples, you are stuck for that turn's placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Finazzo
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

- Yes, assuming there is a legal spot to place your meeple, and you have a meeple available. The second bit is important - if you start that turn with no free meeples (they are all already placed) than you cannot place one until your next turn.

Quote:
Or can I only place a meeple in scenario 2?

- Whether you, an opponent, or nobody scores makes no difference in meeple placement. Keep in mind though, you place your meeple PRIOR to scoring. You can't place a meeple that you just removed from a completed area, you have to use a different one from your unused stock.

Quote:
Or can I never place a meeple after ANYBODY is scored?

- See above.

I hope that that helps a bit!

- JohnyQD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The order is specific:

- place tile
- place meeple (optional)
- score any feature(s) that were completed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for my confusion is that I also have Carcassone the city. In those rules they give what seems to be a different scenario when placing meeples after scoring. (if its out of order it cannot be done)I was wondering if the regular version of Carcassone was meant to play the same way as the city version and I simply overlooked this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
What makes you think you can't place the farmer? I mean, assuming another meeple isn't already in the farm and you have a meeple to place. That happens in step 2 just like I said. Before scoring, so if you have used all your meeples, you are stuck for that turn's placement.

The rules say you IMMEDIATELY score a feature when a tile is placed if that feature is completed. Therefore if I placed a tile that completed someones elses city, I've reached the 3rd part of a turn (scoring) and therefore I cannot place a meeple because it is now out of order.

The order is specific:

- place tile
- place meeple (optional)
- score any feature(s) that were completed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Racinrod wrote:
The rules say you IMMEDIATELY score a feature when a tile is placed if that feature is completed. Therefore if I placed a tile that completed someones elses city, I've reached the 3rd part of a turn (scoring) and therefore I cannot place a meeple because it is now out of order.

By "immediately," the rules mean "on that turn" as opposed to "at the end of the game." The example in the rules of placing meeples specifically shows that the procedure is:

1. Place a tile
2. Optionally place a meeple (if you have one available and not every feature on the tile you just placed has already been claimed)
3. Score any completed features
4. Return meeples from scored features to their owners

Completing a city, whether or not someone has claimed it, does not make you skip part 2 of the turn. You can place a meeple in an unclaimed section of the tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Racinrod wrote:
The reason for my confusion is that I also have Carcassone the city. In those rules they give what seems to be a different scenario when placing meeples after scoring.

A good question, and an understandable source of confusion. The rules are in fact different: in The City, you can't place a meeple on a just-completed feature; in all other Carcassonne games, you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HR Puff n Stuff
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Racinrod wrote:

I believe not. If the tile U place has a volcano on it (so the dragon will fly straight to it), U cannot place a follower on that tile during your turn (or any other, actually, that I'm aware of.. eg using the Magic Portals).

Of course the tile may still be used to complete the feature, as U described in your scenarios, and the player who owns the majority of that feature will score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TassieDevil wrote:
Racinrod wrote:

I believe not. If the tile U place has a volcano on it (so the dragon will fly straight to it), U cannot place a follower on that tile during your turn (or any other, actually, that I'm aware of.. eg using the Magic Portals).

Of course the tile may still be used to complete the feature, as U described in your scenarios, and the player who owns the majority of that feature will score.

So will they score the feature BEFORE the movement of the dragon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dvader123 wrote:
TassieDevil wrote:
Racinrod wrote:

So will they score the feature BEFORE the movement of the dragon?

This is another pick your poison ruling.

I beleive in both editions of the game (RGG and HiG) before the Big Box rules, the Dragon moved first. Moving the dragon was a temporary pause in the game to resolve the dragon. Placing a dragon on the volcano really didn't impact the scoring one way or another since he just moves and no meeple is allowed on the volcano tile when it is placed anyway. But when you moved the dragon, he could eat meeples before they were scored and so the dragon did impact scoring in this manner.

With the new Big Box rules, I believe HiG still retained the rule that the Dragon moves first possibly eating meeples before their completed features score.

RGG, however, went the opposite direction and rules completed featues are scored first, then the dragon moves. To me, that takes the teeth out of the dragon piece and now he just becomes a decoration on the board instead of a something to be feared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you finish one of your, or one of the opponent castle, you can place a farmer on that tile, as long as it's not in the castle own by your opponent.
Draw a tile
Place a meeple
Score
As long as you follow the rules on meeple placements, I gess your OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.