Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Scenario:

I place a tile that completes MY city and immediately score. I get my meeple back. Can I still place a meeple on the tile I just placed, since I've yet to place a meeple?

2nd Scenario:

I place a tile that completes ANOTHER players city and they immediately score. They get their meeple back. Can I still place a meeple on the tile I just placed, since I've yet to place a meeple?

Can I ALWAYS place a meeple on a tile just placed?
Or can I only place a meeple in scenario 2?
Or can I never place a meeple after ANYBODY is scored?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Confusion here- you don't complete 'cities' in Caracssonne the City. Except at the very end of the game but that is a seperate issue.

The same basic sequence applies each turn.
1) Place a tile (compulsory)
2) Place a meeple on said Tile (optional)
3) score any markets and/or roads completed by the tile.
In the 2nd and 3rd phases of the game there is an extra set of steps if action 3 occurred
4)Place walls with the other players. When you place a wall, you may place a meeple on the wall, and then, if a market or road is completed by a wall, it is scored immediately. When all walls have been placed, you may place a tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll assume that you're talking about regular (blue box) Carcassonne, rather than Carcassonne: The City (wooden box), as your question then makes more sense ....

The way it goes is:

Place a tile
Add a Meeple to it (on any legal part of it)
Score any completed features.

Therefore,

In Scenario 1, you can place a meeple - as long as it is not the same one that you just got back - as you have to place before scoring.

In Scenario 2, you can place your meeple.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good assumption Nick-except that he has just asked exactly the same question in the Carcassonne forum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I posted this same message in the regular Carcassone game forum. In those rules they give what seems to be a different scenario when placing meeples after scoring. I was wondering if the regular version of Carcassone was meant to play the same way as the city version and I simply overlooked this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Confusion here- you don't complete 'cities' in Caracssonne the City. Except at the very end of the game but that is a seperate issue.

Sorry, I've got all the versions of Carcassone and I'm confusing words between games lol. I didn't mean cites I meant markets for the city version. My whole reason for this post was to determine if all different versions are played the same when it comes to placing tiles, meeples and scoring, or does each individual version of Carcassone have different placing and rules when this type of situation arises.

I'm just wondering how many different rules I have to remember based on what version I'm playing lol. I'm thinking all the rules in this type of situation are meant to play out the same way for all different versions of Carcassone. I'm just confused as to how they are explained differently between versions, making me wonder if later game rules were written a bit differently to clear up confusion others may have had in the past.

Am I really confusing everyone now lol? Sorry I didn't mean too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Howard

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
Philip has clarified the turn order. Keep in mind that you cannot place a meeple in someone elses market even if they play out of turn and score it thus removing their piece. In other words, no double scoring for the same market/road.

Also, keep in mind: If you pull a meeple off from completing/scoring you are not allowed to use that meeple again until your next turn. This is important to remember when building walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are the same, mostly...in Carcassonne the City you cannot place your meeple on a feature that has just been completed by you placing the tile, whereas this is permitted in regular Carcassonne (the meeple then returns to your hand in step 3).

I didn't know that you had to wait a turn before replacing the meeple, thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Philip Thomas wrote:
[I]n Carcassonne the City you cannot place your meeple on a feature that has just been completed by you placing the tile.

Very good point. This is a common source of confusion for new City players. (The rule is slipped in at the bottom of the "placement restrictions" paragraph, and is easily missed by experienced players of other Carcassonne games.)

sandoze wrote:
Also, keep in mind: If you pull a meeple off from completing/scoring you are not allowed to use that meeple again until your next turn. This is important to remember when building walls.

Is this true? The relevant rules are the same as for standard Carcassonne: you place before you score, so the opportunity to place any removed meeples has passed. But wall placement "interrupts" the game after pulled meeples are back in their players' hands. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Howard

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
sandoze wrote:

Quote:
Is this true? The relevant rules are the same as for standard Carcassonne: you place before you score, so the opportunity to place any removed meeples has passed. But wall placement "interrupts" the game after pulled meeples are back in their players' hands. Right?

My mistake, I believe you are correct that a meeple just removed from a completed structure may be used as a sentry during the wall building phase. My wife and I actually prefer the variant that meeples may not be played until the entire turn has ended thus including the wall building phase (adding another element of strategy to a two player game). The variant actually arose from confusion between Carc: H&G where recently removed meeples cannot be used during the bonus tile phase but we liked it enough to keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably we should discuss this in Variants, but there is an important difference between the City case and the H&G case. In H&G, only you can place a meeple on the bonus tile. In the City, your opponent may place a meeple on the wall. So, if we ignore your variant, by finishing an opponent's market or road you may be giving him a meeple to place as a guard. I think this adds to the strategy of the game. However, each to his own.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Howard

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
Philip Thomas wrote:
if we ignore your variant, by finishing an opponent's market or road you may be giving him a meeple to place as a guard. I think this adds to the strategy of the game. However, each to his own.meeple

We found that in a two player game this had the chance to create more 'blow out' opportunities if the variant was ignored.

For example. When using the variant, I may complete an opponent's market and score them 12 points but gain a 5 point wall plus a possible 6-8 point row, then you are able to minimize your opponent's market (a sort of 'take that'). This was exceptionally profound when the opponent did not have the meeples to score a row of their own as their only one was just removed from the 'board'.

Otherwise, without the variant, an opponent was more likely to finish his/her own structures, score for said structure, score for a wall, and finally score for a row. All of which can be potentially devastating when there are no other opponents to help control the score leader.

I agree on one thing: This thread has been mistakenly hijacked by our tangent (oops).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.