Saints in Armor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Retreating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've started playing this, so prepare to be annoyed by my questions. I'm soloing Fleurus. After a thorough review of the Interception rules, I rolled terribly for Interception. Ugh.

The Protestant left wing cavalry dodged around the fortified musketeers, continued their activation, and made their morale checks to close with the Catholic arquebusiers. There was a flurry of mutual pistol firing and casualties were caused on both sides with very high die-rolling.

One Protestant cuirassier unit destroyed its Catholic arquebusier opponent (note to self: momentum is important), but then pursued off the table.

The other Protestant cuirassier unit rolled a "0" and after modifiers, was retreated back Morale Shaken. This was where I became confused. The cuirassier unit retreats into its 2 rear hexes facing forward, right?

It only had room for 1 hex because other cavalry units were behind it, so I marked it Morale Shaken, flipped it to Formation Shaken, and gave it another casualty point to 2 (it lost 1 from fire). Does it now have to take a casualty threshold MC?

Did I do the retreat correctly? Back into the two rear hexes?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sounds correct. Units that become Morale Shaken simply back up, retaining their facing.

In your case, the Protestant cavalry that took 1 hit for not being able to retreat the full distance would reach its morale treshold (because it is a 3-6 unit), thus instantly being Morale Broken (since it was already Morale Shaken). That would require it to retreat another two hexes immediately. If it can´t do that, you roll on the Unable to retreat table.

Hope you are having fun with the game and just ask away with questions if you have any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so now it is Morale Broken. It couldn't retreat before because its two rear hexes were blocked, but now that it is Morale Broken and it has no facing, it can squeeze out to the side and get away.

How flexible are you about moving retreating units? Does the cavalry unit have to retreat directly back into its rear hexes or would you allow it to make facing changes as it retreated to steer it to the side where it might get to avoid obstacles to its rear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
The retreat from the original Morale Broken result must follow the retreat rules (per 12.4.3 which says that in the third sentence), which could be bad for the Cavalry unit in this case. During the rout phase the units have a lot more latitude in their rout direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
revnye wrote:
The retreat from the original Morale Broken result must follow the retreat rules (per 12.4.3 which says that in the third sentence), which could be bad for the Cavalry unit in this case. During the rout phase the units have a lot more latitude in their rout direction.

In this case I think it might be okay since it can scoot to the side of the blocking friendly cavalry (which is further from the enemy that beat it) and then safely flee to the rear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, after reading some more, I think this is the way it should have gone down.

Protestant cav gets shot and takes a casualty. It is a 3/6 unit. So, it reaches its casualty threshold and goes Morale Shaken. It then has to take a morale check with a modified morale of 5.

When it received the Morale Shaken result in close combat, the cav unit would then become Morale Broken. It would then retreat 2 hexes away from the enemy unit.

Wow, morale 6 cavalry sucks!

Now, in its first retreat hex, it can move away, but it would then have to move sideways (and away from the enemy unit), but it seems like it could do this because it no longer has facing to worry about.

Or does the requirement that you have to move toward the friendly table edge mean that it can't skirt around the friendly unit between it and the table edge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some pictures. Is this a valid initial retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
I would say that in this case, they seem to be following the retreat rules.

Nice camera.

6 morale whatever is a whole lot of suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
revnye wrote:
I would say that in this case, they seem to be following the retreat rules.

But if they were Morale Shaken, they would not be able to move into the 2nd hex because they could only retreat into their 2 rear hexes and would not be able to change facing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
I think a strict reading of the retreat rules means that if the same unit were Morale Shaken, it would retreat in the same fashion. It would end up facing the same direction as it began its retreat, unlike a Morale Broken unit which would face towards the retreat edge (not that it matters since it has no facing).

The issue you see in some of the bigger battles is that the hexes that are empty in your picture are filled, as second line units in charge pile up behind the front line units in a traffic jam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
revnye wrote:
I think a strict reading of the retreat rules means that if the same unit were Morale Shaken, it would retreat in the same fashion. It would end up facing the same direction as it began its retreat, unlike a Morale Broken unit which would face towards the retreat edge (not that it matters since it has no facing).

The issue you see in some of the bigger battles is that the hexes that are empty in your picture are filled, as second line units in charge pile up behind the front line units in a traffic jam.

So would this be the one time that a unit is allowed to move to a flank hex without changing facing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
I would assume so, since it would be following the retreat rules. However, I am not an expert on the rules mean, just someone who reads what they say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is correct based on answers from Ben Hull earlier. Morale shaken units can retreat sideways. It´s a more orderly withdrawal than when Morale broken units retreat or rout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding the pics posted above:

I think that the roll on Unable to Retreat table should be made, when the Broken Morale cavalry meets its friendly units, as per 2nd retreat priority (11.4.2). It cannot move in any other direction when retreating, otherwise if it was Rout Movement Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Burkhalter
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think that the roll on Unable to Retreat table should be made, when the Broken Morale cavalry meets its friendly units, as per 2nd retreat priority (11.4.2).

I can see that argument/understanding. My guess* is you are reading #2 as an Absolute Must. I think Retreat Priority #1 is an Absolute Must, period. Retreat Priority #2 is not, its a must if at all possible, if not, Priority #3 says well then take the fastest track to get back to #2, hence the sideways movement of the second hex of retreat.

* Second guess. You may be thinking no retreat to a flank hex. I play you can, and as David mentioned, possibly somewhere on these boards the designer/developer has said as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.