Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Daoust
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are several rules that are different between Mayfair and Kosmos. Without favoring one or the other I will list the differences I know of. Feel free to add any or comment on these. p.s. this is according to how the rules are written and my interpretation of them.

1. Merchant Fleet

Kosmos: When you play this card, your choose 1 resource or commodity type. You may then trade this item at 2:1 for any other resource or commodity for the rest of your turn.

Mayfair: For the rest of the turn, you may trade any resources or commodities at a 2:1 rate. You can make as many trades as you wish, with as many different resources and commodities as you have. Each exchange must be 2 matching cards. You may not combine different resources or commodities to make an exchange. As usual, you may exchange commodities for resources and vice versa. Please note that Mayfair RulesGuru has sent me an email validating the Kosmos ruling

2. harbor hex orientation:

Kosmos: orientation is random

Mayfair: harbor direction is predetermined. p.s. these were the rules used in Germany for the worldchampionships

3. Breaking the longest road

Kosmos: When longest road is broken, if there is a tie but one of the players who is in the tie is the player who previously had the longest, then he retains the longest road.

Mayfair: When longest road is broken, if there is a tie nobody gets the longest road.

4. Placing robber back in the desert (unsure about this one, read it somewhere)

Kosmos: robber may be placed back in the desert during the game

Mayfair: may not place the robber back in the desert

5. Saboteur

Kosmos: Each player with victory points >= to you looses half their resource/commodity cards

Mayfair: turns a city into a settlement until pays certain resources (2ore 1 wood I believe. It might be the opposite)p.s. Mayfair has revised this card when they realeased the 3-D version of the game to match the Kosmos ruling.

6. mixing trading and building phases in the base game. Both Mayfair and Kosmos now allow this.

7. Moving boats

Kosmos: when moving a boat, you may move it anywhere you're allowed to build a boat.

Mayfair: Home port must stay the same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mike,

Regarding #4: I beleive I'm the source of that question.

Icannot locate that ruling in the 3-D version (which is where I thought it was). It is mentioned in Peter Bartschat (sp) book on Catan.

If I can verify with a rules reference, I'll let you know.

For now, I cannot confirm it with Kosmos rules.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daoust
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes Jeff Paull, you are the source of 4. I added it since you're pretty much 100% on the rules in these forums and you seem to master the kosmos version of the rules very well. I haven't heard 4. anywhere else but from you. So, if you can validate this, it would be great.

Also, I've read somewhere (??forget where??) that Mayfair wants to have their rules to be identical to the Kosmos rules so that anybody anywhere around the world will be playing this game the same way.

Once I receive comments from other players regarding this thread, I'll send it to Mayfair and hopefully they'll get in touch with Kosmos so that these rules be clarified and will be hopefully updated properly for the next printing of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.