Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The dreaded 'Mystery' deck... it's supposed to be painful (well most of the time).

That's why I'm at a loss understanding the point of the "pain" incurred by, 'The Dark Omen':
Card text:
- Immediately discard the top 2 cards from each Location Deck.
- Move the Shadow Track 2 steps closer to Darkness.
- Each Hero gains 3 Investigation".

OK, so other than moving the Shadow Track marker, the card is very innocuous. I'm not getting the significance behind discarding the top two cards from each location deck. What effect, in any which way or fashion, does that have on the game, or on player's status?

Just curious.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing it can do is it essentially takes some great items,alles, and opportunities for the heroes out of the game. While there are event cards that allow players to take cards out of the discard piles, usually cards in the discard piles are effectively taken out of the game. While not a severe penalty it can be a hindrance to the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1932f20 wrote:
One thing it can do is it essentially takes some great items,alles, and opportunities for the heroes out of the game. While there are event cards that allow players to take cards out of the discard piles, usually cards in the discard piles are effectively taken out of the game. While not a severe penalty it can be a hindrance to the heroes.

I agree. It also contributes to the story line in that is causes somtimes causes a frustration point of, "Wow, we could have used that item... but can't now. I guess we will have to look elsewhere for a similar item"

It is certainly not the most punishing card, but it can be an obstacle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I agree with both of you. But where I'm not "getting it" is that it can just as easily take bad cards from the top of the deck as well, thereby helping whoever draws next.

BREAK BREAK - after typing that last sentence I decided to actually become familiar with the facts (I'm new to the game). I grabbed two of the location decks as a sample and counted the good and bad cards:

Abandoned Keep
11 Good cards
7 Bad cards
2 Could go either way

The Windmill
16 Good cards
3 Bad cards
1 Could go either way

So... based on the numbers, I can now see that statistically, there's more of a chance that discarding the top two cards off each deck effectively removes "good" cards from play. Although there's a chance that bad cards would be removed as well, its not an equal chance. GOT IT!

I'm embarrassed that I didn't do this analysis BEFORE posting my question. I hope this thread helps whomever else may have the same question down the road.

Thanks, Dan and Farrell for your replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Potter
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Plus, with Something Wicked and The Coast (especially The Coast), there are now several things that remove discards from the game entirely, so you don't have any chance of retrieving them at all. I actually had the entire Monastery deck completely eliminated by Pillaging and Barrages from the Ghost ship, and the Event deck got down to something like 15 cards in the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.