Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say the dragon ends up standing in a half-made city. You get a portal. You want to put your follower into that city where the dragon is. Can you? When the dragon starts moving, are you OK? Or do you get eaten by virtue of being on the tile where the dragon STARTS its movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic rule with the dragon is that it eats anything and everything on the tile (see http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/2006/01/can-followers-be-..., for example). So although not explicitly stated, I think you'd be stretching things to argue that the dragon only eats when it moves onto the tile - and that if a follower is moved to the tile after dragon movement that they can coexist happily (maybe the dragon goes to sleep?). You'd also have a problem with the fairy - say the dragon moves, then you deploy a follower to the same tile, and then on your next turn you are eligible to move the fairy. Normally it could be moved to that follower, but the fairy and dragon cannot occupy the same tile. So what now? You can't move the fairy because the dragon is there? Far too complicated.

The best answer is to say that any follower will be eaten by the dragon at any time. You can place a follower on a tile next to the one occupied by the dragon; and if you can't do that, then the city probably isn't worth much anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Makes sense to me, though I'd be intrigued to hear HiG's official ruling on this (sometimes they surprise us!).

I think it is also relevant, as you point out in your FAQ*, that the magic gate only "allows followers to be deployed to tiles that can be legally occupied according to the usual rules, as if the player had just placed the tile in question".

*http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/2005/07/can-follower-be-d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Fisher
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You can place a follower on a tile next to the one occupied by the dragon; and if you can't do that, then the city probably isn't worth much anyway.

I know this is bizarre, but happened last night. My wife had a meeple in a 10 tile city, which I strategically placed a piece and large meeple next to the city, so that her city couldn't be finished without joining to mine (Classic sleep on the couch move). However, the dragon ended his turn on that square and ate me. My next turn I pulled a portal and wanted to replace my Large meeple on that square with the dragon but wasn't sure if it was legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Burt
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We also had this situation arise.
After some discussion we decided to allow placement of followers on the dragon tile using a portal.
It breaks no rules - the dragon still moves as normal. You can even put the fairy there, but there is no need if you want protection from the dragon, as he can't visit his starting square anyway.
It doesn't happen often, and doesn't seem to break anything, so why not allow it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steveburt wrote:
We also had this situation arise.
After some discussion we decided to allow placement of followers on the dragon tile using a portal.
It breaks no rules - the dragon still moves as normal. You can even put the fairy there, but there is no need if you want protection from the dragon, as he can't visit his starting square anyway.
It doesn't happen often, and doesn't seem to break anything, so why not allow it?
I'm still not convinced. Does the dragon only eat when it moves? And the general rule for the dragon and the fairy seems to be that they cannot under any circumstances cohabit a tile.

We should ask HiG for ruling: maybe if the fairy is made to inhabit the same tile as the dragon it opens up a rip in the space-time continuum, and every turn you have to role a die to see whether the Carciverse implodes in on itself (thus ending the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got word from HiG on this.
HiG wrote:
Q: Can the magical gate be used to place a follower on the same tile as the dragon? And if so, can the fairy also be moved there?
A: No, you can't place a figure by the dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.