Subject: My Gameplay Variants (NEW Carnage, Symbiots, and Ms. Marvel) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Ford
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hullooo all.

I got this game a few months back and have been loving it. I love coming up with my own games so I've been trying to tweak this game, adding schemes and such because that's one thing you can do without replacing cards. But I haven't been able to put my own scheme together, so I'm glad I found this place. The variant scheme's I've read so far are awesome and I plan to use them.

Anywho, there's a few changes I commonly make to the game to make it more interesting.

Pre-recruiting phase
After the game is set up, but before the first official turn is taken, everyone draws their 8 recruiting shield agents and players take turns recruiting a Hero/Shield Officers with recruit power of 6 or less until each player has used up all 8 recruit power.

This helps the game move along and makes it less difficult with 4 or more players, as the villains usually stack up and are already escaping before anyone can kill one off.

Second Mastermind
The game can be too easy sometimes with 1 to 3 players, so I've found you can throw the 4 fight effect Red Skull, or Magneto cards into the villain deck. They can travel through the city normally, and can add great variation and difficulty to the game.

I've also tried having 2 MasterMinds side by side, and you can attack one or the other, and you trade off which one performs a Master Strike, and you have to kill both to beat the game, but this idea is slightly less awesome.

Personal Hero
At the beginning of the game, each player chooses a Hero and places it next to their deck. Then you pick 4 hero's(or 5 if your playing with 5 ppl) and shuffle them together to be played in the HQ. You place the top 2 cards of your own hero deck face up to be your own personal HQ. On your turn, you have the option to recruit from your own hero HQ and/or the public HQ. You can also cycle one of your personal hero cards once per turn. (if you have 2 of the same card showing, or the cost on both cards are annoyingly high ect.)

This is my fave rule, as it makes you feel like you are playing as that hero, as opposed to a simple shield agent, and you have the ability to combo you hero's and customize your deck more efficiently.

I thought you guys might like to try these ideas yourselves, and I figure I'm not the first to come up with them.

Thoughts? Comments?

I'm also dying to figure out a way to play this game in a purely player VS player fashion, but haven't figured it out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My Gameplay Variants
Those sound pretty fun! I'm particularly intrigued by the pre-game recruiting phase. That seems like a great solution to the scaling problem you see with 4-5 players, and it should speed up the game without drastically changing the gameplay.

I think the "Personal Hero" variant would come down to a fight for who gets to pick Black Widow in my gaming group. How do you decide the selection order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ford
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for your comments =]

And it’s true about Black Widow. Whoever has her can usually mass bystanders and start turning out crazy damage. But the friends I play with aren't super competitive so we don't always use her, and when we do it doesn't always make them the winner. Thor and Hulk can turn out some awesome damage too.

I usually let the less experienced people pick first, then we take turns as normal. If it became an issue and you need to equalize the game, you could roll a die to see who goes first. Or perhaps the second, third, and forth players to pick their hero start with 2, 3, and 4 recruit points in a pre-recruit phase to beef up their decks, tho that could make them too powerful. They could also start with 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4 victory points.

Fury is particularly effective in Personal Hero mode, Wolverine is hecka fun, and spider-man is almost usable, tho he still usually loses unless you have Black Widow or Gambit in the HQ. Poor Spidy needs an upgrade.

Also, you could nerf black widow so her bystander=attack card caps at 10, or the card can only attack 1 villain/MM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pre-Game Recruiting Phase... I wonder if it might make sense to start the recruiting in reverse order from gameplay order. I.e., start recruiting with whichever player would go last. Being able to recruit first and play first seems like too much advantage for the first player. But, of course, I have no experience playing this variant (yet?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of the Second Mastermind and the Personal Hero (good idea!) and I will give these a try. I'm not a fan of the idea behind the Pre-recruiting phase one though as the game can be pretty easy as it is and I'm looking for more things that might make it harder.

Great ideas though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Slade
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cool variant that I will have to try.

Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great ideas! I like the pre-recruiting phase idea, but I think it needs to be balanced by having more enemies in the city when you start the game.
Your second idea is the one I most want to try. But I think it also needs to be balanced by removing some of the regular enemies.
The third one seems interesting, but I wouldn't try all three of your ideas at once so this is the one I would try last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ford
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
DarthEd wrote:
Re: Pre-Game Recruiting Phase... I wonder if it might make sense to start the recruiting in reverse order from gameplay order. I.e., start recruiting with whichever player would go last. Being able to recruit first and play first seems like too much advantage for the first player. But, of course, I have no experience playing this variant (yet?).

Yeah that's probably a solid way to go.

zuzusdad wrote:
I like the sound of the Second Mastermind and the Personal Hero (good idea!) and I will give these a try. I'm not a fan of the idea behind the Pre-recruiting phase one though as the game can be pretty easy as it is and I'm looking for more things that might make it harder.

Great ideas though!

Thanks =] And your right, the Pre-recruit phase will make the game easier but it can be useful when you have 4 or 5 players and the first wave of villains walk right out.

And keep in mind the Personal Hero variant will make the game easier as well, as you're much more likely to pull off the combos you love. But you can balance it by throwing a few MM tactics into the villain pile.

EmperorJacob wrote:
These are great ideas! I like the pre-recruiting phase idea, but I think it needs to be balanced by having more enemies in the city when you start the game.

Mmmyeah. You could add 1 villain in the city for each player in play while pre-recruiting, then start the game.

EmperorJacob wrote:
Your second idea is the one I most want to try. But I think it also needs to be balanced by removing some of the regular enemies.
The third one seems interesting, but I wouldn't try all three of your ideas at once so this is the one I would try last.

But it's only 4 additional villains, and it is used to make the game harder. Course you could replace the four villain group doubles, or better yet, add one random tactic card from each of the three unused MMs.
Also, I usually don't play all 3 variants at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am a little concerned that the pre-recruiting phase variant gives too much power to the starting player. I do like the idea though since getting a lucky first draw has a huge impact on the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ford
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Then make the first player to pick take the last turn. That should alleviate that issue. Also, you can only pick heroes with 6 or less recruit power, so no one can start the game off with a crazy powerful 7 or 8 card.
I've used this variant many a time, and haven't noticed an issue with that. Who's to say the first or second card on top of the deck isn't better than the first 5 in the HQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ford
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Re: My Gameplay Variants (And new Venom Cards)
I'd like to show you all my new card ideas. I thought it'd be more interesting to add a fifth card
Venom

Protect innocence (4 cards)

Siphon life (4 cards)

Savage intent (3 cards)
I think this one might need to be bumped to 5 recruit cost. But I'm not sure.

Symbiosis (2 cards)
This card can be quite powerful. That's why I'd only use 2 of them.

Feeding Frenzy (1 card)

Thoughts Comments? Are the cards balanced? They combo well together and preserve everything Venom pretty well I think.

Breaking and Entering
Covert, attack
1/3 Combo: draw a card

Friends in Shady Places
Covert, recruit
1/2 Combo: +2 recruit

Luck has everything to do with it
Instinct, recruit
2/3 Combo: rescue 1 bystander

Feline Grace
Covert, attack
1/3 Draw a card
Plus 1 attack if you rescue a bystander this turn

Narrow Escape
Covert, attack
3/4 Combo: You may KO a card from your hand or discard pile. If you do, Rescue a Bystander

Consort with the Enemy
3/5 advance a villain 1 space in the city
Plus 2 attack if a villain escapes (could use some revision. Perhaps you KO a hero in the HQ instead)

Seductress
Covert
4/7
If you fight the mastermind this turn, look through and choose which tactic card you gain.
combo: Rescue 2 bystanders

There's seven of them and at most I'd use 5. Which 5 do you all like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: My Gameplay Variants (And new Venom Cards!)
Those Venom cards aren't half bad. I don't browse this forum a lot, but those are probably the most balanced homemade's I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ford
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thank you. I appreciate it =]
After playing them quite a bit, I've found that Protect Innocence can be extremely useful, and somewhat over powered, but more often than not its a poor choice to buy, as the cost is 4 and it generally does only 2 damage.

Savage intent should be bumped to a 5 cost

Symbiosis should specify: If you KO a card from your hand,or somesuch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ford
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I have a few new sets for you. Carnage, Symbiots, and Ms. Marvel. Hope you enjoy!
Carnage

I added an extra card to his set. Thought it'd make things more interesting. He also scales in difficulty as the game progresses so that's fun.
And to Clarify a few of the cards, you only do Min Carnage's card fight effect once. If you kill him in the city, you gain him. I think I would add another consequence to Senseless slaughter, like each player KO's a hero. And Max Carnage should KO three hero's instead of two. (Tho you can still only discard up to two SpiderFriend cards to save yourself from KOing 2 heroes.

I've play tested Carnage a bunch and he players nicely. He usually makes the game go on a bit longer, and he's not over powered, tho he sometimes gets to 13 attack by the end of the game.

Symbiots

I realized I'm missing a card to round out the 8, but it doesn't really matter. I think I'd add a Lesser Symbiot if anything. Or you can throw Venom into this group.
Oh, Hybrid should be put off to the side until 4 Symbiots have escaped or been defeated.
Also, I drew Riot and Agony from scratch. Phage is a remake of a carnage picture, and Dreadface is, for the most part, my own creation. The other symbiots I found pics for.

Ms. Marvel

I am very happy with her. I've tried to make each Hero unique and have a completely different feel than the core set. She might be a bit too powerful, but she can screw you over by filling your deck with wounds, which pretty much compensates for being a powerhouse. and Payback isn't as good as it seems. You only usually get 6 wounds at most to add to her strength.

More than anything, I'd like to hear what you guys think. Any critiques would be most appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jones
msg tools
mb
there awesome I love them. if you were looking for another symboite there is anti venom or toxin. I cant wait to play the new cards. keep up the great work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ms. Marvel looks great! I love her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ford
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Mrnmrsjones246 wrote:
there awesome I love them. if you were looking for another symboite there is anti venom or toxin. I cant wait to play the new cards. keep up the great work

Anti Venom isn't a bad idea, tho he did have a pretty short run before he was no more, sadly. He was cool char. Plus, he was generally a good guy. He was just chaotic and liked to fight everyone and their mothers.
Toxin was first bonded to a cop, and was generally a good guy. I don't know how that ended, but last I heard he had no host.

Also, thanks for the props, guys =]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jones
msg tools
mb
Brock became toxin after anti venom and is now a anti hero so he could go both ways same with him as anti venom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zyler7 wrote:
Thank you. I appreciate it =]
After playing them quite a bit, I've found that Protect Innocence can be extremely useful, and somewhat over powered, but more often than not its a poor choice to buy, as the cost is 4 and it generally does only 2 damage.

I think you could drop it to a 3 cost if you changed it to -1 for at least one bystander (no additional drop for additional bystanders). Otherwise Venom becomes a "must include" in the bank robbery scheme and against Sinister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have your contributions in a file form to download?

Edit: If you can catch any typos and fix them, they'll look more "official". (Ex. Villion instead of villain...sensless instead of senseless...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your Venom, especially because he plays like an uneasy ally that can annoy or hurt the other players.

Your Ms. Marvel is actually better than the other one posted, so I'll use her instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Her "Absorb Energy" might need to be a cost 3 or have a (Ranged) trigger when compare with Hulk's "Unstoppable Hulk" or Wolverine's "Healing Factor".

Doesn't look over-powering, just a slight concern for balance.

Every other card looks fine and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I am playing with the individual hero style and it is so much fun! I'm loving the character to character variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zyler, do you have any updates for Ms. Marvel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marinelli
Belgium
flag msg tools
Zyler7 wrote:
I'd like to show you all my new card ideas. I thought it'd be more interesting to add a fifth card
Venom

Protect innocence (4 cards)

Siphon life (4 cards)

Savage intent (3 cards)
I think this one might need to be bumped to 5 recruit cost. But I'm not sure.

Symbiosis (2 cards)
This card can be quite powerful. That's why I'd only use 2 of them.

Feeding Frenzy (1 card)

Thoughts Comments? Are the cards balanced? They combo well together and preserve everything Venom pretty well I think.

Breaking and Entering
Covert, attack
1/3 Combo: draw a card

Friends in Shady Places
Covert, recruit
1/2 Combo: +2 recruit

Luck has everything to do with it
Instinct, recruit
2/3 Combo: rescue 1 bystander

Feline Grace
Covert, attack
1/3 Draw a card
Plus 1 attack if you rescue a bystander this turn

Narrow Escape
Covert, attack
3/4 Combo: You may KO a card from your hand or discard pile. If you do, Rescue a Bystander

Consort with the Enemy
3/5 advance a villain 1 space in the city
Plus 2 attack if a villain escapes (could use some revision. Perhaps you KO a hero in the HQ instead)

Seductress
Covert
4/7
If you fight the mastermind this turn, look through and choose which tactic card you gain.
combo: Rescue 2 bystanders

There's seven of them and at most I'd use 5. Which 5 do you all like?

Hello there, I just made a new alternative for "Protect Innoncence" that I find too contextual to be really useful.

And btw, thanks for your great work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.