Thumb up
1 Posts

John Prados' Third Reich» Forums » Variants

Subject: Home rules ideas : US economic growth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robin mong
flag msg tools
I've noticed many times that there is a very strong impact on the game if the US happen to enter the war in late 1941 instead of 1942. It is not just about a few more turns for running operation, but above all because of the economic growth gained in spring 42.

With a 60% growth, the US player drawing Pearl Harbour in winter 1941 would probably do nothing in that turn (since he didn't expect it), but start the next year with about 120 additionnal BRPs on its base ! (assuming he spent some of them in lend lease during the year 1941).

I think this makes to much difference for just a one turn delay comapared to the "normal turn" of spring 1942.
On the other hand, a slightly unlucky US player who would enter the game in spring 1934 would have a much lower BRP base than he would have in 1943, having entered the game the year before (I consider the "classic" and historical US strategy of doing not to much on the first year, just making sure Britain is secure, mass troops, get ready to act and save BRP for a massive growth to be useful in the next 3 years)

So I suggest the following rule : the first economic US growth happens in Spring 1943, whether the US are at war or not at that time.
I would also use it for Great Pacific war in the 1941 campaign. That game is largely hard enough for the Japanese without giving the US a extra 80 BRP of growth on the first year.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.