Hide
11 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Your favorite game of this series? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean_Paul Sartre
msg tools
For me so far, Castle Ravenloft. LOD and WOA are both great, but the cruel nature of CR, with it's uncompromising difficulty that leaves your heroes in the horizontal position more often than not gets my vote.

For me, so far:

1. Castle Ravenloft
2. Wrath of Ashardlon
3. Legend of Drizzt

Like I'd said, all are great dungeon crawlers. WOTC may have ruined D&D proper, but these board games are pure gold.

For D&D, well, I sure miss TSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jean, you can check out this thread - best-of-three.

There's a poll near the bottom that you can help bring to equilibrium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:

Here's the poll meeple

Poll
Gun to your head, which is the best game overall?
Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
Legend of Drizzt
      406 answers
Poll created by ninjadorg

EDIT: BTW, I voted for Ravenloft!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean_Paul Sartre
msg tools
chromaticdragon wrote:

Egads, I should have done a search before posting this. Just having my 1st cup of coffee here.laugh

You can lock topic if you like. blush

Edit: Noted that the poll results are exact opposite of my preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
JP_Sartre wrote:

Egads, I should have done a search before posting this. Just having my 1st cup of coffee here.laugh

You can lock topic if you like. blush

Don't think about it - the topic & poll is under the Family of the Ravenloft game: Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games; if you are new here, it's hard to find!

And welcome to the Geek meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean_Paul Sartre
msg tools
Thanks and another thanks to Rodney and the staff here for providing this forum!

What is so great about these games are their open-ended nature. Mod them, combine them, make them your own. Whoever thought of these at WOTC is a genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, that's a tight race!!!

seriously, it's almost a dead heat lol.

fyi i voted for CR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A false choice, imho. They're each great in their own way and, more importantly, are best when mixed together. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chamr wrote:
...They're each great in their own way... :-)

The Poll results seem to support your opinion here - with a range from about 31% to 35% - seems they are all liked equally (but maybe for different reasons, as you imply).

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish we would hear more about the future of this system from WOTC. Why not make a Dragonlance or Greyhawk box? The system is wide open for more expansions and seems to have sold quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
seems to have sold quite well.

An interesting point. Sales figures are hard to get from producers. It is just possible that some kind of comparative indicator might be derived from the number of BGG users claiming to own a game (of course relative to the length of time a game has been on sale).

For example, if we look at one of the biggies, Pandemic, we see 30,816 BGG users claiming to own it since it was launched in Feb 2008. That's 63 months to end April 2013, giving a monthly average of 489. Obviously the number of BGG owners is some unknown fraction of the boxes actually sold, but if you use the same metric for everything it enables comparisons.

Using the same metric (BGG ownership / months on sale) you get the following (just picking a few well known game titles):
Agricola - 487
Carcassonne - 320
Ticket to Ride - 241
Settlers of Catan - 227
Castle Ravenloft - 191
Twilight Struggle - 187
Legend of Drizzt - 173
Wrath of Ashardalon - 152
Ghost Stories - 135
Magic the Gathering - 59

The D&DAS figures don't look too bad in that company, but Lords of Waterdeep must be popular in WotC HQ if the monthly average, after 13 months, of 631 is any guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.