Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » Variants

Subject: Jol-Nar for beginners and the semi-drunk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
For beginners, or the semi-drunk, the Jol-Nar can be rather difficult, and are not compatible with playing open hand if you are teaching the game to others. An alternative power to peeking at cards would be to give them a limited handswap:

At the end of each bidding round the Jol-Nar may choose a card from their hand and then give it to another player. That player then shuffles the card in with their hand and the Jol-Nar then picks one. This can be done only once per bidding round.

Should the Jol-Nar have no cards then they may pick a card from the top of the deck, declaring it to be an attack card, a defence card, or other. If they're right, they keep it, if they're wrong, shuffle it back into the deck.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Burris
Canada
flag msg tools
That is infinitely weaker than being the only one who gets to see the cards. There's no way to play the game open-hand without neutering Jol-Nar and fundamentally changing what the faction is all about. I don't even see why it's necessary to play with open hand in a teaching game. Just be Jol-Nar yourself if you're that worried about it. A big part of this game is dealing with limited information. A mock combat or two should be enough to demonstrate how weapons and defenses work.

As for the semi-drunk, I was really...really really bad at Jol-Nar the first time I played. Now they're one of my favourites. It can be a mental workout but it gets easier.

However. If you're dead set on changing it in this manner, their ability needs to be much more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
I've had some unfortunate experiences playing closed hand with new players- perhaps I'm not that good a teacher- so that's why I'm going to try open hand next time. I suppose if it's too weak then they could handswap more than one card at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.