Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy oh boy...boardgames...what can I say? They're fun, they're addictive, and they look pretty on a shelf. I've only been playing for about 5 months, but I'm up to about 30 games already.

Girlfriend: YOU HAVE HOW MANY ALREADY?
Me: I could be doing drugs instead. Would you rather I start smoking crack? Ok, I'm going to go start smoking crack.
Girlfriend: No, no...keep buying games.

But here's the thing...I have no willpower. How the hell does anyone keep from buying? I'm putting in ONE last order from Germany, and after that, I've resolved not to buy a single, solitary game (and that includes expansions and Power Grid/Age of Steam maps) until the end of June. That's right - June. I can feel the shakes starting already. I don't care if someone offers me a copy of Hannibal Rome vs. Carthage for $5, I'm not buying it. I can't! There's a mortgage, saving for a trip this summer, I want to get a cat, and I need a few items of furniture. It's not that I'm not managing now, but I'd like to clear each month with a bit more breathing room.

So, here are my suggestions for not buying more games. If anyone has any suggestions on how you keep your buying under control, please, please let me know.

(1) I'm going to have to stop surfing this site. Seriously.
(2) When my order comes in, I'm going to hand them all over to my girlfriend, and take one back each month. That way, I'll at least have a new game to look forward to each month. Argh. That is NOT going to be easy!
(3) I need to find more opportunities to play the games I already own. I figure, the more I play, the less time I have to research new games.
(4) Pray and hope that nothing good comes out in the next 6 months.

Anyone else with any better ideas? HELP! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Don't buy a cat: the extra geekgold from uploading pictures of it with your geek components is not worth the real money cost, which can be spent on games. Also word on the street is those cat pictures may stop being approved soonninja
2) There is a geeklist somewhere explaining why certain purchases don't count towards the pledge.
3)You need your girlfriend to play and buy games to!

4) Try online gaming to feed the urge.

robotrobotrobot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
I don´t stop, that´s it.
It´s hopeless. It´s easier to stop smoking.

Hundreds of Boardgames and one Girlfriend, that´s better than 1 Boardgame and 100´s of Girlfriends, that is what I tell my Girlfriend and she agreed.
Now she is sometimes buying the boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Buy all the games you like.
2. Buy all the games you think you might like.
3. Buy all the games you think your friends might like.
4. Buy all the games that are borderline.

That should get you close to stopping from buying new games, except reprints and new releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Build a log cabin in the wilderness.
2) Go back to college to become a brain surgeon.
3) Finish Einstein's work on a Unified Field theory.
4) Book a seat on the next shuttle to the Space Station.

Just a suggestion. robot meeple Buy more games. Because meeples are cute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games are like crack for smart people.

Although, I guess, you could argue our inability to control the urge to see more, play more, and buy more or trade for more might not necessarily justify the 'smart people' characterization. Ha.

I've given up trying to control the urge. So I only give myself an "allowance" for games each month...and it's not enough to buy a new game each month, but it's enough to pay postage to 'trade' a game via BGG or save a few months and then buy a game.

BTW, I'm waiting for the Colombia drug cartel that's smart enough to create a game where you play a drug lord, and it comes with your own baggie of smack (does smack come in baggies? I have no clue). Then we'll all be REALLY screwed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
f-p-p-m wrote:
I don´t stop, that´s it.
It´s hopeless. It´s easier to stop smoking.

Hundreds of Boardgames and one Girlfriend, that´s better than 1 Boardgame and 100´s of Girlfriends, that is what I tell my Girlfriend and she agreed.
Now she is sometimes buying the boardgames.

That's hilarious! I'll pass that on to my girlfriend.

She does, in fact, play my games too. She even astounded me by absolutely LOVING Power Grid just last week, which gives me some hope!

I may try the "put aside $25 a month for boardgames" strategy, but come on...let's be honest, I'll never stick to the budget!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the perfect solution, I stop buying games when I run out of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read a similar thread over on Crackgeeks.com about how to stop using crack. Its funny how no one had any helpful suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bud Blanchette
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've set a game budget, actually I've broken the word budget down to it's root words Bud and Get, so I really have a game Bud Get. Oh well, I tried.

Bud

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Budget.
2. Discipline.

If you don't do either then there is no hope. My wife and I have a budget and we have disciplined ourselves to not buy anymore games till we get some other debt paid down. Once that's done then it's open season on games! hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have to stop due to money issues (well, eventually I would, but not at any reasonable level of purchasing).

I just think it is healthy to take thing in perspective, and realize that past a certain point, you are buying things that you cannot possibly expect to use or enjoy (unless you have a lot more free time than most people). Then it just becomes a pointless collection obsession. Ask yourself, why do you gain comfort from having something sitting on your shelf that you are likely to never use? In particular when there are so many good games you probably already have that you could play them for the rest of your life and not really miss out on fun and enjoyment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get your collection up to about 300 games. At that point they'll have taken over one or more rooms in your place.

Now move out of state and realize it would be better to ship all of those games to your new living situation. You'll spend hours and hours packing up all of those games and spend several hundred dollars on packing and shipping.

Now unpack it all and spend even more money on a more effcient set of shelves to store that huge mass...

If that doesn't stop you then buy more games until they spill over into your living space...

by that point it should have worn you down enough that you'll actually consider not buying anything that month, your resistance should continue to improve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
United States
Darien
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I actually did this last year.

1. Only allow yourself to buy 1 new game a month.

You get the satisfaction of reading BGG to your hearts content weighing every conceivable option and choice as to why you should buy whatever game it is you decide on. Also, after you settle into this it gives you something to look forward to and it flexes your delayed gratification muscles.

After you have made it through 2-3 months of step 1 add this qualifier;

2. You can only buy a new game if you have played your previous game purchase at least once.

This slowly forces you define what kinds of games you/your group will actually play and enjoy. In time it will help you to make usefull future purchases of games you will use.

Now it gets tuff... After you are comfortable with the first two steps ,
add step 3.

3. You cannot buy a game until it has been out for at least 1 month.

Most new release games are the impulse buys that fueled my buying frenzy. In time I realized that the long term success rate for me/my group for these impulse purchases was actually pretty low. I learned that if I waited a month or so for the hype to cool off I could pick the cream that rose to the top. When you only get 1 new game a month you don't want to waste it on a game you don't enjoy.

4. Trades do not count against your 1 game per month limit.

This forces you to move your unplayed games and participate more in your hobby. You will meet more people and learn more about older games that may not be on your radar because you are consumed with the latest and greatest. Also this gives you a loophole to abuse...I love abusing loopholes.

5. Sell or donate games that you never play.

It took awhile but it worked for me. I enjoy my hobby more and feel less guilty about it.

jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Carr's comment is right on.

Thirty games in five months? One step to take might be to realize that you are becoming more of a collector than a game player. Now, collectors will buy as well as sell, and that might be a way to harness your addiction, at least financially. Seeing some income balance out your spending would be a positive thing, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
My method is simple. I generally wait until all the pre-release hype has passed, then wait until a review or a dozen or so ratings appear on BGG. By this time the Cold Turkey stage is on its way out. If my palms are still sweating I buy.

Drakon 3rd Edition!!! 'feels pulse rising'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
I may try the "put aside $25 a month for boardgames" strategy, but come on...let's be honest, I'll never stick to the budget!

Put aside $25 a month...spend the rest on boardgames devil

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How do you stop from buying more games?

When you run out of money and/or space.

I ran my collection of games up to 60 or so and had 20+ unplayed. I was buying more games than I could play in 6 months time. Assuming I wanted more than one play per game.

My New Years resolution was to:

1. Play more. I actually switched to a game I noramally wouldn't have looked at due to its accessability of play (Pirates of the Spanish Main). I still play other games with my wife and another couple when able which is 2 or 3 times a month. If I want I can attend 9 tournaments of PotSM a month plus whatever casual play I can pick up.

2. Log all my plays. I can better understand what I have played and when.

3. Buy less games. I have stopped browsing online. I have (for the most part) stopped lurking in the BGG marketplace and searching ebay.

I have two games I must own at the moment. One of them is Goa and I need to wait for the reprint.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm not using it as an excuse for my somewhat excessive buying (really, 30 games in 5 months is a lot, but have you SEEN the number of games owned for some BGG users? It's insane!), but I just felt like I needed to catch up...make up for lost time, y'know?

Thanks everyone for your ideas. You're all right - I have to play more. I do actually play quite a lot with my girlfriend, and I don't have any unplayed games except Friedrich (damn it!!!). So, after my one final order today, I'm done until the end of June. I'm not even going to log onto the site anymore once robbirob takes my order, since I know what my willpower is like!

Man...this is going to hurt. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
I'm not even going to log onto the site anymore

Yeah, OK. See you next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take The Pledge, Dennis.

It's like a support group with games!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92255

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is my first posting here.

How to stop bying more games?
Easy.....lose your job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
My advice: indulge yourself, since you are new to the hobby anyway. 30 games isn't a large amount. But, at the same time, try as hard as you can to test games before buying them; for example by attending a club. That will give you a far better feeling about what you really like. Don't buy anything you only get a lukewarm feeling from; don't confuse that with the feeling of enthusiasm you have when sitting down at a new game. If you do have to buy a game blindly, don't hesitate to sell it off immediately if it doesn't turn out what you expected it would be. Visit thriftstores, yard sales, and shops with sales.

This way, you will at least control your addiction to the point where it is financially managable. Simply not buying anything until June will just turn out into a mega-order when the time comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty B
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lent is just around the corner. You can always try giving up buying them for forty days, and see what happens. If it works for you, maybe you could just sort of go with it afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackasp wrote:
This is my first posting here.

How to stop bying more games?
Easy.....lose your job!

Done and done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.