Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

I play the standard Catan 2 player variant most of the time. I asked at the catan.com official blog for ST Catan if there is any recommendation for 2 player and their answer is that it hasn't been tested, but as long as the 2 dummy non-players get their own support cards it should run smoothly.

Well, believe it or not, my ST has been on my table for a week without even dislodging the pieces from the cardboard because we're going through a heavy Twilight Struggle phase. However, we intend to play it soon and i'm working around what we could do with support cards.

Any idea -or report of actual games- would be appreciated.

So far I think the best way is to give each human player a random card among A1-A6 barring A4 (Sulu's diplomat road swapping is far too useless in the first 3 rounds, while the other player could cripple you with A2). This should be done after settlement placement so there's no planning in advance.

Then, you place another 2 random cards (starting batch too, A1-A6) for the dummies.

Once you exchange a card with the actual panel, your used card goes to the dummies, who must return one of the two cards to the panel -unavailable for you for this exchange-. The order would be first in-last out. I mean, if you play and discard A4, then A4 won't be available on the panel again until 2 more human cards had been discarded.

I think this prevents some player with advantage to get hold of the most useful card in the world right now almost every other turn. (For example, using the card that lets the player with less VP steal from the other would be a killer in 2 player variant, since the other player can't grab it and make any use of it). With this system, the very minimum he would have to wait to use it again would be the 4th turn provided a lucky use of Spock/Sulu in their opponent's turn and that their opponent exchanged a support card too).

Again, this is theory. What do you think? Are support cards and trade tokens too much for 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just tried this with 2 players using the "Official 2 Player Variant" but without trade tokens. Everything flowed very smoothly and we enjoyed it.

Your suggestion forced me to be fluid in my strategy because of the available crew members. Also, I don't think trade tokens are necessary because of Ahura.

Thanks for coming up with this. thumbsupthumbsup and bag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert (or anyone),
Have you had a chance to try this 2 player variant again? I am on the fence about getting Star Trek Catan, and would love to know if it can be successfully played with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J- Y-
msg tools
I too would like some type of rules made for 2 players.

Any help if someone has a rules list or some variant would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.