Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Kelley
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since much of the game is tied to the number of player, the number of characters they control and the amount of space in each room, competition for these limited spots is the key point of conflict in the game. I believe that there are several flaws with this.
First: Only 2 of the locations matter - #4 Parking Lot and #5 Security HQ. without competition for the two roles, the rest of the players actions are arbitrary. Side question: Why are they numbered #4 and #5? Why not make the room numbers match the order in the turn in which their votes matter (First Vote per round is for the parking lot - renumber it to #1, Second vote is for the Security Chief - renumber HQ to #2)
Solution: Every room should have a vote element or other worth while reason for competition.
EX: #1 Bathroom - Total Strength of characters is Doubled when the Zombies Attack. There is now an incentive to put someone in there that you hope will survive (the Pinup for example) but if others have the same idea, the screams of the Pinups make it so that the room benefit will be negated very quickly.
Ex: #3 Megatoys - Vote: Winner of the vote gets to search the discard pile for a Bat card.

Second: There is no room for subtlety in the open voting system. It becomes obvious when one players takes the last spot in a room (by Sprint) or moves from a room to spite a character who will move later in the turn order.
EX: (Problem) Red has one character in a room about to be overrun (used Hardware last turn). All other open rooms only have one spot left available. After revealing destinations, Blue player (who goes before red) uses Sprint to retroactively cut off Red so that they are forced into the Parking lot where Zombies are waiting.
Solution: After selecting destinations, Wheels are given to the only person who has already declared his intention for the turn... the Security Chief. He would then orchestrate the movement of characters without any other player being able to take advantage of the destination knowledge.
EX: (Solution) Blue has to predict what he believes what Red will do. Logic prevails, and he correctly guesses what Red is planning. The Security Chief announces that Blue must move, Blue heads off the Red player, feigns ignorance and keeps his Sprint for use later. The distinction here is now that Blue is proactively going after Red, he cannot look at other destination wheels to see which rooms have INCOMING characters. So he must also take care not to weaken his own positions while trying to spite someone else.

One last thing that seems odd to me - all cards are single use. This makes no sense for the weapons (except Grenades). I would have prefered an equipment deck and an event deck. Each player would start with a Bat (for the 5-pointer) and a Gun (for the 3-pointer). Firearms would have a number of uses until they needed an Event-Reload card. Event-Threat could only be used if you had Equipment-Weapon. Searching the truck would get better weapons (that allow 2 chances to destroy a zombie Shotgun, Grenades, Chainsaw) and the rest of the cards that are already in the game. Votes could be taken in a room to strip a character of their weapon cards. To make the use of weapons less of a 'gimmie' require a roll to check for success against each zombie with a target number of say '8' modified by the weapon being used. So, even if you have all the weapons, you are not guaranteed to be able to use them well.

After all this, don't misunderstand me. I really like this game. The polaroid snapshots for cards is brilliant. The storefront pictures with pushpins for capacity and the rest of the board are all design wonders. I just want to make it so my other players will want to play on this board and game multiple times without it seeming like it is redundant.
If i am unclear on some of the points, ask me questions. I'd like to hear other peoples opinions about this matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Saumer
United States
White Bear Township
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iam_emperor wrote:
Since much of the game is tied to the number of player, the number of characters they control and the amount of space in each room, competition for these limited spots is the key point of conflict in the game. I believe that there are several flaws with this.
First: Only 2 of the locations matter - #4 Parking Lot and #5 Security HQ. without competition for the two roles, the rest of the players actions are arbitrary. Side question: Why are they numbered #4 and #5? Why not make the room numbers match the order in the turn in which their votes matter (First Vote per round is for the parking lot - renumber it to #1, Second vote is for the Security Chief - renumber HQ to #2)
Solution: Every room should have a vote element or other worth while reason for competition.
EX: #1 Bathroom - Total Strength of characters is Doubled when the Zombies Attack. There is now an incentive to put someone in there that you hope will survive (the Pinup for example) but if others have the same idea, the screams of the Pinups make it so that the room benefit will be negated very quickly.

Ex: #3 Megatoys - Vote: Winner of the vote gets to search the discard pile for a Bat card.

There's also a special rule for the Supermarket, which is overrun with 4 zombies no matter how many people are inside. While there are no special rules for the other locations, the number of people that they can hold makes them unique, and depending on how many zombies wind up in front of each place will make them more or less desireable locations for your people each game. I like your idea though. This game has a very "streamlined" feel to it and while I think it works great as-is it also feels like it could support some more bells and whistles if desired.

iam_emperor wrote:
Second: There is no room for subtlety in the open voting system. It becomes obvious when one players takes the last spot in a room (by Sprint) or moves from a room to spite a character who will move later in the turn order.
EX: (Problem) Red has one character in a room about to be overrun (used Hardware last turn). All other open rooms only have one spot left available. After revealing destinations, Blue player (who goes before red) uses Sprint to retroactively cut off Red so that they are forced into the Parking lot where Zombies are waiting.
Solution: After selecting destinations, Wheels are given to the only person who has already declared his intention for the turn... the Security Chief. He would then orchestrate the movement of characters without any other player being able to take advantage of the destination knowledge.
EX: (Solution) Blue has to predict what he believes what Red will do. Logic prevails, and he correctly guesses what Red is planning. The Security Chief announces that Blue must move, Blue heads off the Red player, feigns ignorance and keeps his Sprint for use later. The distinction here is now that Blue is proactively going after Red, he cannot look at other destination wheels to see which rooms have INCOMING characters. So he must also take care not to weaken his own positions while trying to spite someone else.

Hmmm, this hasn't really been a problem in our games I have to say. You're right that there isn't a lot of subtlety, but I'm not sure if you're more bothered by that or just the power of the Sprint card. Gimping the Sprint won't make it any harder to figure out who's trying to screw who - in this game you just know that everybody needs to screw everybody else eventually anyway. I think the open voting is satisfying because is feels more like what would actually be happening: A bunch of people arguing over who becomes zombie food, then the mob decides.

iam_emperor wrote:
One last thing that seems odd to me - all cards are single use. This makes no sense for the weapons (except Grenades). I would have prefered an equipment deck and an event deck. Each player would start with a Bat (for the 5-pointer) and a Gun (for the 3-pointer). Firearms would have a number of uses until they needed an Event-Reload card. Event-Threat could only be used if you had Equipment-Weapon. Searching the truck would get better weapons (that allow 2 chances to destroy a zombie Shotgun, Grenades, Chainsaw) and the rest of the cards that are already in the game. Votes could be taken in a room to strip a character of their weapon cards. To make the use of weapons less of a 'gimmie' require a roll to check for success against each zombie with a target number of say '8' modified by the weapon being used. So, even if you have all the weapons, you are not guaranteed to be able to use them well.

It's tough to take down a zombie with just one shot Themeatically I always imagined the entire clip getting unloaded before the rotter goes down. And I guess the baseball bats tend to get stuck in the rotten skulls?

Anyhow, the game's not about killing zombies, much like Romero's zombie movies aren't really about killing zombies either. In both cases the zombies are there to force the characters to make some tough choices and that's what makes them so interesting. You can't win Mall of Horror by killing all the zombies, they'll just keep coming and coming. I only really see the weapon cards here as ways to make your people slightly more valuable and hence less likely to get voted out as zombie-food, and not worth quite so much as their face value. I guess their single uses don't bother me personally when the cards are seen as such. I just always try like crazy not to have to use them.

I hope that your fixes make the game more enjoyable for your group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Pauly
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
However, nice ideas! I think they deserve a try ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.