Subject: Family games needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for good games that our young family can play for years. Our household includes my wife and I, our two kids, son - 9, daughter - 5, and my father-in-law.

We usually get only one night per week, maybe two, to play games. I'm looking for games with the following qualities:

- usually takes less than an hour to play
- suitable for all ages
- light competitive
- up to 5 players, but still OK with only 2
- fun, engaging theme
- nothing spooky or creepy
- if it happens to educate them about the world around us, that's cool, too.

As an aside, I just ordered a card game designed by a 6-year-old called "Sleeping Queens". Recommended on GamerDad.com. Anybody try it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An expensive suggestion would be Pitchcar ot Pitchcar Mini. They are games where adults can play, and kids (as long as flicking a disk isn't too hard ).

My 7 yr old loves to play, and competes ok with the adults, and my 3 year old gives it a try, and we'll probably start letting her take 2 or 3 shots to our 1...

Not educational, and it can be competitive (but kids enjoy playing, Adults get a bit more competitive).

Not great for only 2 players, but you can always use more than 1 car each...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Viney
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this list to get lots of good ideas.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

My personal favorite that fits most of your criteria is Gulo Gulo. It's a great game and younger kids have an advantage.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6351

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang!
Pick Picknic
Shooting Ducks Gallery
Gulo Gulo

When your daughter can read, there are thousands more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Serrette
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Dog's Life.
Amazing Labrynth
Dread Pirate

And you've always got the standby's like Clue and Monopoly and Sorry and Stratego.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne - great tile-laying game, works with 2 players and with up to 5 players, takes around an hour, should be playable by a five year old (may have to leave out farmers, but that'd be an easy change to make), very fun and engaging, with some light competitiveness.

Ticket to Ride (or Ticket to Ride: Europe) - great set collection train game, works well with 2 players, and also with up to 5 players, takes around an hour to play as well, should also be playable by kids, fun, engaging, somewhat competitive, and may educate them about geography a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of games with my 2 kids (9 & 6) and here are the ones they love:

Apples to Apples Jr. (no good with 2 though)
Attacktix
Battling Tops
Blink
Break the Safe (Cooperative--you all win or all lose!)
Carabande (expensive)
Catch Phrase Jr. (no good with 2 though)
Cloud 9
Cranium Cadoo
Cranium Zigity
Daytona 500
Hamsterrolle (expensive)
Loopin' Louie (no good with 2 though)
Pounce
Sitting Ducks Gallery
Tsuro
Up the Creek

That will give you a few to look over. Hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience the five year old can be the spoiler, so you might want to get the youngest some separate games that they will enjoy, like rat-a-tat-cat (awesome) etc.

My kids are 9/6/4.5/1.8

The two oldest will play:
Daytona 500
heroscape
Loot! (Korsars)
Rat-a-tat-cat
Lost Cities
Carcassone: Hunters Gatherers
Battleball (nine year old doesn't like it)
Some icehouse games(notably Torpedo, and the six-year old is begging to play rambots which I have to learn)
Car Wars (I am whipping up a variant in which combat is resolved by their ability to answer math/spelling flash cards quickly)

Crokinole: we have a cheap board and craft-button discs. It feels too random until you acquire the ability to actually aim. It's about a 6.7 at our house, but I expect that to rise as we get more practice.

Attacktix: there was a sale recently. They just *play* with them, forget the rules! The six-year-old demands General Grievious each time and cuts through my defenses like they were butter in August.

I just picked up a thrift copy of Stratego and they are nuts for it. $1.50.

The six year old is the true gamer. He's *quite* bright and a little odd, but we love him. The nine-year-old wants to play Yu-gi-oh or whatever is cool at the time.

My 4.5 year old daughter can play a number of games if we are helping her, but she will burst into tears rather easily at times. She is also fond of "pretty pretty princess" and less structured play. The best thing is to rope a visiting adult into playing "PPP" with her, then take a snapshot of the adult when they are wearing all of the earrings, crowns, rings, etc. and blackmail them with it.

I am rambling, hope this helps. I guess what I have learned is that each of my kids is different, on a fundamental level, it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
I'm looking for good games that our young family can play for years. Our household includes my wife and I, our two kids, son - 9, daughter - 5, and my father-in-law.

We usually get only one night per week, maybe two, to play games. I'm looking for games with the following qualities:

- usually takes less than an hour to play
- suitable for all ages
- light competitive
- up to 5 players, but still OK with only 2
- fun, engaging theme
- nothing spooky or creepy
- if it happens to educate them about the world around us, that's cool, too.

As an aside, I just ordered a card game designed by a 6-year-old called "Sleeping Queens". Recommended on GamerDad.com. Anybody try it?

Thanks!

blokus will be a good choice. i would might suggest carcassonne and through the desert but i think both of them might be too complex for your daughter... oh! iforgotted about TtR. good simple game that oyu and your kids will enjoy.
Quote:

I second Dog's Life.
Amazing Labrynth
Dread Pirate

Dread Pirate is a horrible game that the onl thing needed is luck, luck and luck. the kids might like the game but i'm sure you'll find it boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The 5 year old is going to be a toughie....I have the same problem myself with a 6.5 year old who loves to play games, and a just turned 4 year old that really, really wants to join in.

Ticket to Ride might be a bit much for the 5 year old to play well. That's a lot of cards to hold. I would suggest TransAmerica as a better choice for that age range.

Pick Picnic is a great choice. I just taught this to a bunch of kids in 1st grade and they all pick it up after a few rounds (that's truly the easist way to teach it...just have people play a card and show them what happens).

Gulo Gulo also works but it can get old...not something you'd want to play over and over, IMO. Still it is definitely worth getting.

There are a number of Haba games that would work. Akaba is fun.

Cartagena is a good one too...not a great game for 5 people though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Bang! is too old for the 5-year-old.

I recommend Gulo Gulo and Pickomino. Apples to Apples is always a hit. There's also Nobody But Us Chickens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
My daughters are 6 and 9. I recently purchased Chicken Cha Cha Cha, which they both really enjoy. This is a light memory game which is great for parents to join in as well.

Others they like:
Ticket to Ride
Blink
Set
Halli Galli
Batik
For Sale
Gulo Gulo
Igloo Pop
Loco!

Of the criteria you listed, I think Ticket to Ride would be your best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm overwhelmed! I'll check these out. In the short time I've been on BGG, I've found the members to be an intelligent, generous, and fun-loving group of people. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Gulo Gulo, Nobody But Us Chickens (better than Pick Picnic for this niche, I think), Break the Safe (but only goes to 4 and more fun for kids than adults), and Rat-a-Tat Cat. (If your 5 year old takes to Rat-a-Tat Cat and the rest of you are looking for more challenge, you could probably move her up to Corsari pretty quickly).

I'd also add Diamant (but not for 2) or Can't Stop (will play 5 if you can get extra markers), Kleine Fische and/or Circus Flohcati, and a hidden identities racing game like Top-Secret Spies, Quicksand, or Geistertreppe (ideally with the expansion Flaschengeist).

The 10 Days (in the USA/Europe/Africa) games are somewhat educational (although they might leave your 5 year old with some mistaken assumptions about how airlines choose their routes!) and I like them better than Ticket to Ride or Transamerica/TransEuropa. But they don't play 5, so that would be an argument for T2R. (TransEuropa just fell really flat for us.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
My 4.5 year old daughter can play a number of games if we are helping her, but she will burst into tears rather easily at times. She is also fond of "pretty pretty princess" and less structured play. The best thing is to rope a visiting adult into playing "PPP" with her, then take a snapshot of the adult when they are wearing all of the earrings, crowns, rings, etc. and blackmail them with it.

I always wondered if there was anyone else out there who did this to unexpecting relatives! I have some great pictures! Maybe I should post a few to the PPP pictures section... hmmm...

rob
www.geocities.com/crosstowngames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.