2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Clash of Cultures VS Archipelago rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
msg tools
Hi all! I was hoping someone could help make a recommendation. Feel free to browse my collection to help get a better idea of what I like. I'm looking for something with a bit more depth to add to my collection. Also I don't have anything with exploration, and I feel like flipping those pretty tiles would be really fun.

On the surface, I'm more drawn to Clash of Cultures. But things that seem to draw me to Archipelago are that people say that it A) plays faster, B) is a more interesting game, and C) has more replay.

I'm initially drawn to Clash of Cultures because I A) like direct conflict, B)

Similarities that make the decision harder:
Both have hidden victory paths.
Both have exploration.
Both seem to have awesome thematic implementation.

My group might be slightly impatient for these play times? We seem to max out at about 3 hours for a 4 player game. Are those times achievable for both?

Complexity: Archipelago seems more heavy/complex, but it also plays in less time? Is that accurate?

If play time is excessively long, both have shorter variants. How do the shorter variants play in each? Do they feel like a complete game?

I'm not a fan of worker placement, but my experience is limited to Lords of Waterdeep & Puerto Rico. But I've heard that Arch doesn't feel like worker placement. The decisions in those games don't feel meaningful, and all your little moves don't feel, to me, like they add up to a big pay off. Unlike Clash of Culture, where you could take over a city with an army, or with culture.

OK I think I've written enough to give you a good idea. Thank you in advance for any thoughts!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Strawser
United States
flag msg tools
I haven't tried Clash yet, but recently purchased and played 3 5-player short games of Archipelago.

My quick thoughts:

Archipelago is fun and everyone who has played it has expressed interest in playing it again. There are no military options for takeover of another player's cities or buildings, so direct interaction is somewhat limited but players can affect other players through various means.

Our games lasted about the max time for a 'short' game which is 2 hours which isn't bad with 5 players.

There's a lot of complexity in Archipelago as each player knows one victory point condition and has a secret victory point condition as well as an end game condition.

The game is semi-coop as you must work as a group to make sure there isn't a rebellion which causes all players to lose the game.

So depending on your group, if you like direct combat/interaction you may want to try Clash first.

Good gaming!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.