Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Dillie
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Fellow Freddies,

I am going to be the Prussians next time. Looking at my options as a Prussian player. Has anyone tried the Offensive option yet? With seasoned players this seems like a doomed option. Just curious if anyone has tried it or what their thoughts on it are..........

Thanx,

Ron D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not SUPER experienced but this variant also strikes me as odd, and against the grain of the game as it was designed in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
the OO is offering not bad chances on victory for prussia, Basically the idea is that prussia has to be faster than france and russia.If you go for it, then go with strong forces (both supply trains and 6 generals).

The OO takes you closer to the historical course of action, because it was an offensive what the prussians tried in 1757 to take austria out of the war (until the defeat at battle of kolin put a sudden death to this plan).

Quote:
and against the grain of the game as it was designed in the first place.

yes and no. The prussian objectives in bohemia were part of the design from the first minute (i.e. prussia always had 2 ways of winning: offensively and defensively). Playtest showed, that an offensive Prussian play did not decrease prussian chances on victory, while austria´s chances were decreased significantly. That´s why the OO rules were introduced.

All in all, the OO gives a variant to the *standard* game and opens up a new dimension. Prussian players seem to hesitate to go for it (which seems quite natural if surrounded by all these enemies). But it is worth a try, because you will see how the austrian player starts to sweat (he, who is the one with the most comfortable position), and it is really fun to send the prussian hordes down to brünn and tabor! -- The game will be totally different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played OO a couple of times, and in both it failed. In the end Prussia lost to Austria.

The key risk with the OO that Prussia takes is that - when an OO fails for Prussia - Austria is still allowed to conquer 4 less objective cities to win. That makes Friedrich run around like mad :-) But with the OO the game has definitely a different, more dynamic feel to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.