Subject: Pre-assembly blues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m one of the people who did not mind assembling my SDE figures (It was kind of fun once I got started).

I just picked up the Manor today and there where a few issues with the assembled mini´s.

One of the skeletal knight types had a sword that was clean broken off (thankfully still in the bag), one of the witches is bent out of shape (and was in two parts as a result) and Von Wildling had been attached to his base and then broken off (worse then me just putting him in there in the first place).

None of this is very serious, I can glue the sword, give the witch the hot-cold treatment and glue the hero back to his detached stubs.

It just makes me wonder if its not more sensible to have us do our own assembly, its safer for packaging and if these sorts of issues are common then its most likely easier on us as well.

I wonder if anyone else had similar problems.

I still think SDE is an awesome game with fantastic mini´s so I am not getting myself worked up over this, just wonder who else would prefer to do their own assembly with the expansions?

I know SDE took some flak over it, but I think "assembly required" on the box would solve that best in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
Union
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree to some extent. As a miniatures gamer, I personally had no problem assembling the miniatures when I acquired the base set. That being said, the game is much more accessible to a larger demographic now that the miniatures come preassembled and I do like the fact that I can open up an expansion and play the game right out of the box instead of having to spend several hours assembling the miniatures. I haven't picked up Von Drakk yet, but do have Caverns of Roxor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have Roxor yet. (they didnt have it at the local store when I picked up Manor today).

Was Roxor trouble free?

The main box still requires the assembly, so I am not sure on if it helps for the masses tough (unless they change future versions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
...one of the witches is bent out of shape (and was in two parts as a result)...

I am not sure if I should ask here, or start another thread - but this relates to the above...

I notice the broom is rather "bendy" - so much so in fact, I can see where even using it normally, it would eventually break (where the stick meets the bristles of the straw). Has any one tried to reinforce it, eg, maybe drilling small holes and inserting a pin of some sort? Maybe another solution?

-SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Schultz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certain models can be easier to paint in pieces as well (especially if airbrushing) and then assemble, especially if at good color breaks (the neck into clothing, sleeves, etc.) so I too preferred them not assembled.

It made for easier seem removal too.

As far as the broom pinning, that is always the conundrum, to cut it and pin it straight away, or be more optimistic and that it will hold and only pin it if it breaks.

The laziness (optimist?) in me says the latter, but I have been on the wrong end of it when it does break, and you not only have to pin it, but also repaint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenton wrote:
As far as the broom pinning, that is always the conundrum, to cut it and pin it straight away, or be more optimistic and that it will hold and only pin it if it breaks.

The laziness (optimist?) in me says the latter, but I have been on the wrong end of it when it does break, and you not only have to pin it, but also repaint.

If the plastic were rigid/hard - I wouldnt be too concerned - as then dropping them or otherwise abusing them would cause the broom too break (not just the normal day to day handling).

With THESE figures, however, the plastic is soft and very bendable - even trying to paint them I am finding that I am twisting and bending the broom - making it weaker and weaker.

I can only imagine how they will hold up during actual play!

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:

Was Roxor trouble free?

Heh heh *cries*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
give the witch the hot-cold treatment

Can you explain to me the hot-cold treatment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Schultz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You warm the model in very hot water, make any adjustments, then put into cold water to "set" the the change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Jensen
msg tools
You can also use a blowdrier cool

Has anyone had troubles with the minis settling back into their old shapes? I have done this many times before, but the witches' brooms and skullbat wings bent back after a couple of days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.