Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This could have been a really fun game but it suffers from a fatal rules flaw which can allow a victory to the first player on the first turn. There are a couple of ways to fix this but none of them is perfect.

Components
The cards are of good quality and the font is legible. The images are drawn from the movies and are decent.

Game Play
The play is simple and the game is primarily hand management. Your objective is to kill all the monsters in front of you and then play a Necronomicon and keep it for a turn while the others try to take it from you. If they fail, you win. There are a few cards that can help them take it from you but for the most part once you bring it out and kill your last monster, you're likely to win the game.
The chief flaw is at the start - you only have one monster in your stack and if you're dealt the Necronomicon, you can kill it and win on your next turn. You can fix this a couple of ways: one is to not put the Necros in the deck until the initial deal is over (which helps, but you could still get it fairly early) or you can start with a larger monster stack (2 or 3 starting monsters instead of 1, for example).

Intelligences
My wife is a teacher and many of my games are pressed into classroom use. She is a subscriber to Multiple Intelligence theories and so I often categorize games based on which intelligences they require.
Linguistic
The game cards sometimes have a fair amount of text on them. Being able to read and understand the cards is critical to success. This isn't a particularly strong linguistic entry, but on the other hand the game won't work for kids who don't read well (either due to age or skill-level).
Logical-mathematical intelligence
Because there are numbers and dice and some bonuses conferred by cards, being able to add (and subtract) is useful. There isn't a strong enough math component to give a math whiz the edge, but it is a limiting factor.
Interpersonal Intelligence
In any card game where there are "take that" cards, some interpersonal intelligence is required to avoid being a target. It is also needed to deal with winning, losing, and being targeted. The game does require a fair amount of skill here.

Overall
Overall I can't recommend this game. It needs rule changes to attempt to make it playable and even they don't really resolve the problems. I thought it might be fun with the right group, but even that doesn't really save it.

Age Appropriateness
This game requires a mature audience. Some of the images on the cards (and some of the innuendos) would not be appropriate for young children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Venkmen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Question. How many cards do you get in the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a total of 120 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Venkmen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Holy crap!!!!! wow I would of thought 70, or 80. but wow. And the deck isn't even divided right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justa Guy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game actually plays great if you allow all "Events" to be played at any time.

Like all semi-luck based card draw games they can be short or long. My family and I have played this game well over 300 times and really enjoy it. We were a big fan of the movies and that may be part of it.

If you are not a fan of the movies and do not have a sense of humor you should skip playing it.

It gets a big thumbs up from us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.