Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to redesign those Mythos cards. Here's what I'd do. I'd put the things you have to do in the order you have to do them.

I'd have the opening gate location at the top, with a little note reminding you to place a Doom token and place a monster.

Then below that I'd have the Clue location, if applicable.

Then below that, the monster movement info.

And finally, at the bottom, the card's special text.

It'd make life easier wouldn't it? I don't know about you, but I can feel my eyes jumping around like fleas on a carpet everytime I go through the instructions on a Mythos card.

In my next installment, I'll tell you how I'd redesign the monster chits ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said!

Never could understand why they used that needlessly perplexing order.

I'd probably add clue locations for the nasty rumours that don't provide them too . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I really should put my mouse where my mouth is, so here's my rough 're-imagining' of a Mythos card.

Please note I'm not disparaging the fine work of the FFG designers - I just think a little re-ordering would have increased the ease of use factor on these cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

So . . . When can we expect the full deck??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, that's just the kind of time-wasting, work-procrastinating, yet-another-game-related-project-that-doesn't-pay-me job I'd probably curse myself with if I could think of a way for the art to replace the existing deck that worked practically!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen. I think the same thing EVERY time I play the game. It's even MORE frustrating because when my friend is the first player and plays his cards, he always tries to do everything in the order on the card, which occasionally messes things up.

I like your card better. Nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should do what I do whenever I design a new card game-

Print them out, find old cards, put the old cards in plastic sleeves (ie the magic protector sleeves) and put the new artwork in front of the card, inside the sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I like the idea of having a deck like this and I think it would play smoother, I don't know if that's a job that I really have the time to take on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Qu├ębec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the exact same thing so many times... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
I like the idea of having a deck like this

Agreed.

UniversalHead wrote:
I don't know if that's a job that I really have the time to take on!

Understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squashua

Coconut Creek
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic re-design; I had thought of something similar, but I waste my time on other things. :-) I'd tip you, but I've only got 3 hard-earned geek gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
Well, I really should put my mouse where my mouth is, so here's my rough 're-imagining' of a Mythos card.

Please note I'm not disparaging the fine work of the FFG designers - I just think a little re-ordering would have increased the ease of use factor on these cards.

here here! I guess it's probably too late for Fantasy Flight to use this suggestion for the new Dunwich Horror release I've heard rumoured...it would be a great opportunity for them to include a reprinted Arkham Horror deck in that syle as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed. I can't imagine anyone who would have looked at those cards and though "Yeah, jumping around all over the card in the Mythos Phase will be COOL!"

But from what I've heard from FFG game testers, FFG finalizes art work and cards THEN does play testing. They refuse to change any art after it's printed so that's probably what happened here. The card probably originally worked in the order it showed but was changed in play testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
But from what I've heard from FFG game testers, FFG finalizes art work and cards THEN does play testing. They refuse to change any art after it's printed so that's probably what happened here. The card probably originally worked in the order it showed but was changed in play testing.

What an extremely strange thing to do ... seems hard to believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Overton
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the way you changed the cards Universal.
I wish they would use your suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Indeed, unlike some threads about how Mr. Blogman does art oh so much better than anyone ever, this is entirely 100% better.

But the original cards are survivable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about adding expansion set symbol large and first thing on the card, so you first see whether you should use the card or pick another one. Or FFG, put the mythos cards on the arkham horror toolkit so you can select the expansions you want to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be frank, after the first few games this hasn't really been an issue. As a left-hander I rarely read anything other than novels in the "conventional" direction, so it doesn't really "jar" with me that the layout order and reading order don't match. One thing that I would comment on is that for me, the aesthetics of the layout are at least as important as the reading sequence and for me this means that the title of the card and the flavour text must be "above the fold". Reading the game logistics stuff from below the fold then jumping up and resolving the Mythos effect from above the fold is no big deal.

So in my design I would have the Mythos effect above the fold and three items below: Gate and Clue Locations and Monster movement. These can be placed in the manner that you have them. The risk with your proposed layout is that it takes up a lot of space for the stuff that isn't Mythos effect stuff. You've even added unnecessary elements to help balance the layout because the section is inefficient. If there's a lot of Mythos effect text to read it'll be hard to do so because layout will be constrained and you may have to shrink the text. This would be bad as the most important element of the Mythos card is the Mythos effect text. Which is something that your layout doesn't recognise and it makes it feel "upside down" to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aesthetically the cards look better with the text at the top. This is the sacrifice, the placement isnt in the right order but card is better presented.
After a few turns it become intuitive anyway but i used to think it was odd at first but I like it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys do realize this thread is from seven years ago right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
(some deep weirdness popped it in my subscriptions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

Someone linked to it from a recent related forum post and brought it back to life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seahawk wrote:

Someone linked to it from a recent related forum post and brought it back to life.

Yes my bad. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An old thread you say. Oh the embarrassment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.