GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,241 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

The Walking Dead Card Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: I wanted to love this game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game because my copy of "Slide 5" disappeared. I was excited cause, hey, I love The Walking Dead...and I love Slide 5! I honestly haven't tried the "Hero Variant", but I don't think I will...here is why...after opening the box and looking at all the cards, I only saw 4 different pictures (Minus the Hero cards) of Zombies...and I only liked one of those 4 Pictures. Plus, all the zombies are brownish, and the bullets (used to represent points) are also brownish, so it really makes you focus on the card even more than one wants to. I really have no desire to play this game...Don't get me wrong, the base game mechanics are still what "Slide 5" offers, but the presentation is lazy which makes me not care about the game. They had a lot of opportunity to make this game cool, and didn't.

It was easy to get my friends interested in, and laughing about, Slide 5...basically, I just switched the name to "Dead Skiers" Everyone Lays down a card, the person to lay down the 6th card in the row causes an avalanche and kills all the skiers on that slope, and the blood of all those people is on your hands...it was morbid and light hearted enough that people got into it because it just made sense...

With Walking Dead, I found myself stumbling about the rules trying to explain how the game worked..."Uhh...so, like, um, basically you are all survivors...but nobody likes the crappy survivor who wastes all the ammo, so...the more bullets you fire, the more ammo you wasted. If you waste the most ammo your surviving team sacrifices you to the zombies in order to escape...don't be zombie food!"

See? It just doesn't make sense...

This game doesn't feel right. I am going to find another copy of Slide 5 and never play this again, and never even tell my friends about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Slide five doesn't have pictures, but it does have colors....I think the single skiers start at a yellow, and the more skiers added, the darker that yellow gets until it turns to a blood orange/red color (at the maximum, 7ish, skiers per card...so, at a quick glance, it's easier to tell which row is a bad row to have to collect. and the Skiers, at least, in my copy, were a nice blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
late for dinner wrote:
With Walking Dead, I found myself stumbling about the rules trying to explain how the game worked..."Uhh...so, like, um, basically you are all survivors...but nobody likes the crappy survivor who wastes all the ammo, so...the more bullets you fire, the more ammo you wasted. If you waste the most ammo your surviving team sacrifices you to the zombies in order to escape...don't be zombie food!"

This doesn't seem so hard: "You know how zombies apparently detect by sound? Firing bullets makes lots of noise. The more bullets you fire, the more you attract zombies. Whoever fires the most bullets attracts the zombie horde and loses."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And beside you forgot the WORSE CARD QUALITY for a game dated 2014...
Cryptozoic did a poor job on this... Damn!
yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erzengel wrote:

And beside you forgot the WORSE CARD QUALITY for a game dated 2014...
Cryptozoic did a poor job on this... Damn!
yuk

Oh.

Well, that seals it for me. I have Category 5 and my cards are a bit worn. I gave away my Slide 5 but I thought those cards sucked. Sucks to hear the cards are pretty bad.

I guess I have to sleeve the Cat 5 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.