flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marisue: 49
Dan: 34
Terence: 24

*Trumpets playing fanfare*

*Minions bow down in awe*

To think, I used to worry my first win in RRT was tarnished because of some misinterpretation of a couple of rules. Now a 4th consecutive win to my name I no longer worry of such silly things.

Casterman Dan had been anxious to redeem himself after first playing the game at our house 3 weeks ago - after the first play he announced he had a strategy that was sure to win so we were happy to oblige him on his first free Saturday. He came by about 11 in the morning and we had the board set up and ready to go. We dug in - all eyes were on me, defending my title I felt pressure. Bidding went on for the first turn - I ended up bidding & paying 3 for the right. Giving me my first share & 2 thousand dollars to work with. That gave first crack at the railroad operations cards - I took the railroad executive card there by giving me 2 more actions - one of which I used to nab the first government grant and build the first link.

I dug into the east coast with all of it's wonderful 1 link builds and lucrative gooey cubes. Mmm, cubes. They're magically delicious! Dan, determined to dethrone me started his own line along the east coast. Terence seemed content in the southeast, branching over to the midwest at the game went along. We were all keeping our share take low so income phase was a pretty happy time around the board. I once again set my sights on the rail road operations cards and tried to scoop as many as possible. Unfortunately both Terence & Dan were wise to me and kept a close eye, I was able to scoop all the starting cards, first delivery, first 3 link delivery and first to have a level 4 train.

Then came up the card to be the first to deliver to Toronto. There was a cube in nearby Detroit and the route was not yet taken. However, even the best route there is a 5 hex build. I played the government land grant and hoped for the best and built the first 4. Dan went next and built out of Toronto, blocking the most obvious route. Terence went next and blocked the remaining reachable route - so there I sat not able to get to Toronto, but not out any money - but wasted a very valuable card. Foiled!

We proceeded at a quick pace, cities emptied out and nobody really had much cash to invest in urbanization since we were putting it into trains - I was a good bit ahead, but not sure I was going to get my secret mission decided to end the game and emptied out the 12th city. The last round was frantic with delivering as many cubes as possible for the greatest points. It's always a bit of a bummer that the income phase is at the beginning of the round, so what ever cash you have going into the last round is it - no more. It's especially sad when your secret mission is to have the most amount of cash, as mine was. I at least try to be a bit of a spoiler and try to err on the side of caution and build the longest train & have the fewest stocks to screw up those secret missions, doesn't always work, but I try!

I was happy to find at game end that I did in fact have the most amount of money with 23k, I had achieved a level 5 train, Dan & Terence were right on my heels with level 4's - good thing I ended the game early. Terence's secret mission was to have the longest track which he had achieved in that last round building one more than me. Dan & I had both ended up with the goal to have the most money.

Dan improved a lot from his first foray into the land of RRT but he wasn't satisfied, he had failed to topple the RRT QUEEN! He wanted blood - he wanted anarchy! I stared at him, steely eyed, trying not to gloat too much and said "Better luck next time"

He pointed out that the board was already set up....

Could the Queen do it twice in one day? Could she quash the rebels yet again and bring peace to the rails?

We would find out after lunch....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Blayney
Canada
Smiths Cove
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Birdwatcher & Birdeater
mbmbmbmbmb
Entertaining!!
The Detroit to Toronto misplay has happened to me as well. Made me laugh. You needed the "Perfect Engineering" card instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.