Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marisue: 91
Dan: 78
Terence: 60

We had asked Dan to bring along Stephenson's Rocket, we had played a partial game at his house the week prior and were raring to try a full game. It kept nicely with the train theme established by the 2 earlier games of railroad tycoon - we set up the board and got to it. Since we had played a few practice turns the week before, just a quick rules summary was all we needed.

Since the yellow train was close to me on the board I started pushing that one and taking a variety of goods off the board - I kept a close eye on what Terence & Dan were taking and tried to make sure that either I was getting a majority in that type of good or at least would place second since from what I could see it would be important come game end scoring. We all had seen the power of stations and were eager to get our stations on the board and steer the track in that direction. Rather than risk having our stations passed by, we all for the most part connected with our own stations - Terence & I were the only ones to collect passengers, each getting one token.

Dan was busy driving several different lines all over, collecting shares like nobody's business. He & Terence competed for those lines, merging and collecting cash. I tired of the yellow line and decided to go play choo-choo with the blue line, ramming the train into my placed stations happily. I finally started to collect some change when the blue line hit some towns & cities - cities I had collected goods from no less. My shareholdings in the yellow line & blue line were impressive. Dan had merged the green line into the orange line, then the orange line into the yellow line. The yellow line was now huge. A few vetoes were made, mostly between Terence & Dan as the purple, grey & red lines neared merges. Finally, the blue & yellow lines merged and I had a clear majority of yellow stock.

Game end scoring occurred when all the track had been laid - first we did the goods. After returning to the board goods from the two cities that ended up not getting connected, I found keeping en eye on what Dan & Terence were collecting paid off nicely. I collected money in all categories, placing 2nd in most but first in a couple. Then came the massive yellow line which had connected to 18 towns & cities - I had a clear majority of stations on the line, as well as shares. I was feeling pretty good when it came time to count the cash that would determine the final winner.

While I was fairly confident I wasn't going to end up dead last I didn't expect to win, much less by that kind of margin. Terence & Dan had been scoring regularly throughout the game, since I had concentrated on the blue & yellow lines I didn't score quite as often. But that seemed to be ok in the end!

I look forward to playing Stephenson's rocket again sometime soon! This assuming Dan will ever come play with us again after such abuse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.