Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marisue: 82
Terence: 62
Dan: 53

And so it came to pass on that fateful day that we would make Caylus the last game to hit the table that afternoon. I'd been on a hot streak so far, but Caylus was sure to put an end to that, or at least Dan & Terence were hopeful that it would.

The two or three other times I'd played the game (winning only once ) my strategy had been to hoard as much gold as possible, if I got lucky I'd get to build a blue building, otherwise I'd have a pile of gold for scoring at end game. This really hadn't proven to be a very good strategy.

The way the game fell the first random order put Terence going first, Dan going second and I was left to bring up the rear. Going last is not at all a desired position for me so I made an effort to get back in to first turn order every time I'd get pushed back to last.

Resources were a bit tight at time, money was even tighter. The provost was a very useful tool and often there was an agreement to by two of us to screw over the 3rd, at least when the money was available to do so. More than once somebody would pay to move the provost laughing with glee, only to realize later on down the road their strategy for that round was dependent on having all their money. Oops!

I decided that maybe the strategy I would try was building in the castle as much as humanly possible. Dan & Terence set out to build buildings, collecting specific resources to do so. Dan actually ended up building 6 residences, he was happy on income day, that's for sure. Both Terence & Dan built several brick & stone buildings, but nobody every bothered to build the building that allows you to erect a blue building, a mistake that allowed me to sneak by on this one.

I was happy to plunk my workers where ever I could get resources and make pilgrimages to the castle at every available opportunity and I managed to build a couple of low victory point buildings. When I built in the castle I would use the favor to get more points or money when I was in a really tight bind. Amazingly this ended up working rather well, I may have to see if this strategy will hold for a second game, but only if the casterman will dare to darken our door yet again.

Until then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.