GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,087 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Drive on Paris» Forums » Reviews

Subject: mini review-Drive on Paris, or did you bring hay for the Panzers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Drive on Paris (DoP)--my experience, a mini review.

My buddy and I finally got around to playing DoP-it was an interesting experience.

I played the Germans. The exploitation rules coupled with the German forced march ability allowed me to zip around northern France. I grouped (as I would guess most German players would) all of my "special" exploitation capable German infantry with my cavalry to form what I called "Panzergruppe Kluck."

I used this task force to destroy the BEF in two turns. The problem with the system is that it allows you to perform maneuver gymnastics that just don't equate with history. You can concentrate massive force, hit the enemy hard, make them retreat then use the exploitation movement to redeploy, or smash the remnants.

As a bit with the "Emmich Assault Force" rule, I can see no basis in history for the designation of some German corps as exploit capable and not others. The forced march rule falls into the same category--OK, so some German units can force march, but what about the French and British? As my opponent pointed out, "I think the Germans need that forced march to make it into northern France." Well, exactly--they do need to force march capability, but why is it applied so arbitrarily? When I see units given special abilities in what I feel is an attempt to balance the game, I begin to doubt the overall design. This seems to be a reoccurring theme in DoP.

Overall I think the game can produce mostly a historical result with all the rules applied--but the individual components of the overall picture are skewed and flawed in my opinion. I do not think the game portrays an accurate picture of the way armies fought and maneuvered in 1914.

I am in the midst of playing 1914: Twilight in the East, which covers the same time period on the eastern front, and I think the comparison of the two games was inevitable. Though TitE is a much more complex game, we both (same opponent) are enjoying the system much more.

I could not recommend "Drive on Paris" as a serious game for someone looking to learn about the war in the west in 1914.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SCS is fun, but I think if you're looking for a detailed historical model, it's not the tree that you want to bark up. Most SCS games seem to fudge here and there for effect, just to keep things simple.

Not that there's anything wrong with that (or the TitE alternative).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
SCS is fun, but I think if you're looking for a detailed historical model, it's not the tree that you want to bark up.

I don't think DoP is suffering from a lack of detail--a simple game can be accurate and evocative of a time-period. I think I would use the word elegant to describe this. Some games do it.

DoP unfortunately suffers from inconsistencies and inaccuracies that seem to be used as adjustments to a flawed system. When a designer adds elements that cannot be explained (such as non-historical march performances) then I feel this signals other deeper problems in the design. I would describe DoP as "eccentric", and not in a good way.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
hedererp wrote:
Quote:
SCS is fun, but I think if you're looking for a detailed historical model, it's not the tree that you want to bark up.

I don't think DoP is suffering from a lack of detail--a simple game can be accurate and evocative of a time-period.

Exactly. Detail is not the issue. Incorrect tradeoffs at the game's own abstraction level are the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Incorrect tradeoffs at the game's own abstraction level are the issue.

I find this interesting. Could you elaborate a bit?

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.