Subject: Crossing tracks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kjetil Gryt
Norway
Bergen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
When do I use crossing tracks? I seem to never need them, but then I haven't played with more than 4 players. Am I allowed to replace a previously placed track in a complete link with a crossing? If the previous track continues in the same direction as before, then it should be possible to cross this link, right? Or do I have to place the crossing track when I'm building a link thinking futuristic?

Is this clear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bullions
England
Hayes
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct with what you said first. The crossing tracks replace tracks that are already laid. The route of the original must be retained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Gryt
Norway
Bergen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks!
But you can only cross your own tracks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Sievert
Sweden
Helsingborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
g_kjetil wrote:
Ok, thanks!
But you can only cross your own tracks?

No, you can cross other player's tracks too. At least that's how we have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But does that make sense?

Elsewhere in this discussion board it has been stated that one interaction between players is to "cut off" other players links by passing with your own link. But if you can cross another players link - well, then that would make no sense.

So I would say you can only cross your OWN railroads and not that ones of other players...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
You can cross ANY uncrossed track tile, whether it is yours or anyone else's. There is no extra charge, and no restrictions on this. You just replace the existing tile with a crossing tile that preserves the original link.

Blocking another player's track with your own is difficult, and it's rare to prevent another player from linking two cities if he really wants to. Usually the best you can manage is to make him spend more money and time to route around your track. But that can be a big deal; my wife once forced me to spend $8,000 more dollars and take out another share by getting in the way of a five-tile link I was trying to build.

If you root through the track tiles, you'll realize that there are no Y-intersections (where one track can merge with, or diverge from, another); there are no three-way crossings; and there are no sharp turns. These limit what another player can do about it if you get in his way.

The most effective way to block another player is to use up the last accessible connection to a city. For example, there are only three ways to connect to New York (see the map: the other three sides of New York's hex are water). If they are all used up, no one else can reach New York.

In some cases, it's enough to use up the most convenient connections that your opponent is coveting. Having to route clear around to the other side of a city, and going wide enough to make it without sharp turns, can make a link unreasonably expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well - the last part of your posting is something I can follow. But - perhaps I´m a little confused - two statements don´t match in my mind:

rholzgrafe wrote:
There is no extra charge, and no restrictions on this. You just replace the existing tile with a crossing tile that preserves the original link.

vs.

rholzgrafe wrote:
Usually the best you can manage is to make him spend more money and time to route around your track.

How can I make my opponent spend more money and force him to route around my track when on the other side he simply may cross my link by replacing one tile with a crossing???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kon,

The crucial thing here is that there are no "Y" intersections. You can cross another players track whenever you want and at no expense but very often what you'll really want to do is merge with an existing track. Your inability to do this constitutes being blocked. It may be possible to go around that block thus requiring more time and money, sometimes there are no other options, you are simply blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Kon,

The crucial thing here is that there are no "Y" intersections. You can cross another players track whenever you want and at no expense but very often what you'll really want to do is merge with an existing track. Your inability to do this constitutes being blocked. It may be possible to go around that block thus requiring more time and money, sometimes there are no other options, you are simply blocked.

Okay, so I may never block "really" but indirect by connecting a city at a point where my opponent just tried himself. So he is forced to try to connect at another side of the city so he has to cover a more expansive way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Okay, so I may never block "really" but indirect by connecting a city at a point where my opponent just tried himself. So he is forced to try to connect at another side of the city so he has to cover a more expansive way...

Don't forget it might even cost that player more than one action; which is a cost greater than money.

Also, if all accessible sides to a city are taken then that other player won't be able to complete his link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx, so I got it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.