GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,553 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Virus Nuker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loren B
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading about Crypsis and Whirlpool, and thinking about Foxfire, I was thinking that, rather than trashing Virtual Resources and Links, the Corps would like to be able to trash Viruses. What do you guys think? Too niche? Too powerful? I was thinking something Foxfire-y. "Trace4 - Trash a virus."

Perhaps it would only serve to serve the Noise virus mill thru trash-deja vu-replay virus-mill again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Finkle
msg tools
There are already several methods of trashing programs - Ichi, Rototurret, Archer, Aggressive Secretary, and the upcoming Burke Bugs. Why not use any one of these? Combine with Corporate Troubleshooter to get them to go off when the runner would otherwise be able to break them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original Recipe Netrunner had an agenda called Superserum, which removed all virus tokens in play (and cancelled the next four virus tokens to boot). It's not the same, but I'd really like to see it added to AD:N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren B
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wildfire393 wrote:
There are already several methods of trashing programs - Ichi, Rototurret, Archer, Aggressive Secretary, and the upcoming Burke Bugs. Why not use any one of these? Combine with Corporate Troubleshooter to get them to go off when the runner would otherwise be able to break them.

All of those require the runner to "misstep" to some extent. Foxfire does not. It allows you to instantly trash a link or a virtual resource, if they can't defeat a Trace7 (or aren't packing a Disrupter). I'm not sure the Corp NEEDS some way to proactively trash viruses, but either way it's a different mechanic from Ichi/Roboturret/Archer/Aggressive Secretary/Burke Bugs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren B
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
Original Recipe Netrunner had an agenda called Superserum, which removed all virus tokens in play (and cancelled the next four virus tokens to boot). It's not the same, but I'd really like to see it added to AD:N.

I like the sound of that. What do you think a remake would look like. Canceling 4 virus counters seems a bit powerful at this point. Perhaps a 4/2 that simply wipes all virus counters? If you have the "cancel virus counters" ability, I wonder if it would be optional or obligatory. If it were obligatory, a runner with a datasucker could do a reverse virus purge and just quadruple run archives on a single turn to get rid of the stored virus-prevention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorenbr wrote:
Opie wrote:

I like the sound of that. What do you think a remake would look like. Canceling 4 virus counters seems a bit powerful at this point. Perhaps a 4/2 that simply wipes all virus counters? If you have the "cancel virus counters" ability, I wonder if it would be optional or obligatory. If it were obligatory, a runner with a datasucker could do a reverse virus purge and just quadruple run archives on a single turn to get rid of the stored virus-prevention.

I don't think that we'll ever seen an effect in A:NR that says "cancel the next 4 X". That's a little too fuzzy from a design perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that scores with hosted agenda counters and says "hosted agenda counter: remove 1 virus counter from a virus in play" or "hosted agenda counter: purge virus counters" could work. The former would be a multi-use, several counters version, the latter probably a single counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren B
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beelzeben wrote:
Something that scores with hosted agenda counters and says "hosted agenda counter: remove 1 virus counter from a virus in play" or "hosted agenda counter: purge virus counters" could work. The former would be a multi-use, several counters version, the latter probably a single counter.

I was thinking the "obligatory prevent" would look something like, "When you score this agenda, place X agenda counters on it. If you have an agenda counter on this agenda, when the runner would place a virus counter, remove an agenda counter instead." The "optional prevent" could look like beelzeben suggests, be an option to remove/purge, or a more limited "hosted agenda counter: prevent the runner from adding one virus counter to a card" or something like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorenbr wrote:
beelzeben wrote:

I was thinking the "obligatory prevent" would look something like, "When you score this agenda, place X agenda counters on it. If you have an agenda counter on this agenda, when the runner would place a virus counter, remove an agenda counter instead." The "optional prevent" could look like beelzeben suggests, be an option to remove/purge, or a more limited "hosted agenda counter: prevent the runner from adding one virus counter to a card" or something like that...

Something like that would work nicely, yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect we'll see some variant of this idea before long, either a card that destroys a virus or removes virus tokens. Probably both eventually, it's just too natural an idea NOT to happen.

If I had to guess, they've probably got something like this in testing already but just want to make sure it hits the right power level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of Virus Nuker - how about 'anti-virus' ?

I don't know... it would just about destroy an entire identity. But in some ways I think there is an 'anti-virus' already in game; you may have missed it since it's mislabeled 'tag'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren B
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
Instead of Virus Nuker - how about 'anti-virus' ?

I don't know... it would just about destroy an entire identity. But in some ways I think there is an 'anti-virus' already in game; you may have missed it since it's mislabeled 'tag'.

I'm not sure about destroying an entire identity. Criminals and Shapers are starting to get viruses, and destroying viruses does not prevent Noise from getting the mill from them. If anything, it might increase his milling by allowing more "deja vu double virus" replays.

I'm also not sure I follow the tag-as-anti-virus train-of-thought. Viruses are specifically not resources. Care to clarify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I think a 3/2 agenda with "Click: Remove all virus counters from one card" would be good, or just a 3 cost operation that removes virus counters from one card. We have the triple click purge already, but the corp could really benefit from being able to target a specific virus and still being able to do something else that turn. I'm also hoping that HB gets an asset similar to Ronin that will require advancement, but after a certain point be trashable in order to trash a program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm satisfied with the current ways of removing viruses and their counters, but what we really need is a Xanadu For Viruses asset to either make the Noise mill more costly or just force him to run more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another variation on that would be an Upgrade like this:

Active Defense

Cost:3

Trash:3

Faction: Jinteki - influence 2

Effects:

Add Agenda counters at 2 credits per counter (more than one counter may be added per click)

Spend one Agenda counter anytime the Runner installs a program to cancel that installation. Runner keeps any credits spent and keeps the click they used but the program is trashed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
I think a 3/2 agenda with "Click: Remove all virus counters from one card" would be good, or just a 3 cost operation that removes virus counters from one card. We have the triple click purge already, but the corp could really benefit from being able to target a specific virus and still being able to do something else that turn. I'm also hoping that HB gets an asset similar to Ronin that will require advancement, but after a certain point be trashable in order to trash a program.

It could be a 4/2 like Nisei, remove counter to clear all virus tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
I think a 3/2 agenda with "Click: Remove all virus counters from one card" would be good

That seems horrendously overpowered to me.

roborob wrote:

That seems more like something we might see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren B
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
roborob wrote:

This STILL seems a bit OP to me, considering it's already 3 clicks to clear virus counters. This is only 1 click more (and 4 credits) to score two points as well...

EDIT: Fixed quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorenbr wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:
roborob wrote:

This STILL seems a bit OP to me, considering it's already 3 clicks to clear virus counters. This is only 1 click more (and 4 credits) to score two points as well...

It's a one-time use effect. That's like saying "Scorched Earth is OP because no other card can do 4 meat damage with one click..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
I don't think that we'll ever seen an effect in A:NR that says "cancel the next 4 X". That's a little too fuzzy from a design perspective.

I don't think we'll see it phrased like that, no. But FFG has already established a new way to handle that sort of effect with Plascrete Carapace.

"When you score Superserum, purge all virus counters and place 2 agenda counters on Superserum.
Hosted agenda counter: Prevent one virus counter from being added to a virus program."

Doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
manydills wrote:

I don't think we'll see it phrased like that, no. But FFG has already established a new way to handle that sort of effect with Plascrete Carapace.

"When you score Superserum, purge all virus counters and place 2 agenda counters on Superserum.
Hosted agenda counter: Prevent one virus counter from being added to a virus program."

Doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Yeah, I could get behind that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
Rather than an agenda, I'd like to see an operation that purges virus counters. maybe not all, but say 4 or 5, or all if it costs 2 or 3 credits. I'm thinking it would be weyland, but with only 1 or 2 influence. It could be called Nuker, it has a nice ring to it. I like meta on this because counters of demo run and imp are already in a lot of virus decks.

option B would be a virus counter trashing asset, like disinfectant, inc. from NR classic. 1 credit per counter would be balanced, so long as the trash cost is fairly low. for this I like jinteki, but with higher influence. the play-in being to force a virus deck to run on a particular remote, doubly effective with replicating perfection. the counter-play would be for runner to attack corp's economy, or just overwhelm them with virus counters, a real possibility with surge/deja vu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.