24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How do I sell my used board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am going through chemo right now. In fact it is getting pumped into me at the moment.

We are running out of money and one thing I was looking at was selling some of my board game collection. Most of them can be repurchased someday. And most of them probably aren't worth much.

I did a few forum searches but my Fuzzy brain couldn't find anything. In fact I don't even know if I'm in the right forum.

Do most people ebay? craigslist? or use one of the features of BGG that I have yet to investigate? I'm scared to death of craigslist and ebay, since the world seems to becoming a worse and worse place.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I would create an auction here in bgg and explain your cause as people may be willing to spend a little more to help a fellow geek in need. It's nice to know your money is actually going to help someone in dire times. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second the auction GeekList approach. You can find some great examples here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the wiki page that should help:

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/geeklist_auction#

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought plenty of games from auctions, I agree this is your best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pray that all goes well for you with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent question and I'll offer my two cents.

I frequently sell and buy on Ebay. It's okay and most times, it suits my purposes. I was thinking at cutting down my boardgame collection and thought about selling / auctioning off my unwanted games. At first, I figure E-bay would be the way to go. However, I did some research and found that most of the tiles I want to sell would have a greater chance of being bought here on the geek as opposed to Ebay.

There are quite a few other benefits too. The community here is wonderful and supportive. If you explain the need for your auction, I think you will find people would be more willing to buy items as opposed to the masses on Ebay. You may even receive offers of assistance or at the very least, well wishes. Also, this is a game site, so you have the comfort of knowing that even the people who may just be casually browsing through your auction are your target audience. BGG also gets 3% of all sales, so it is a nice way to support the site.

In a week or two, I am getting ready to try my first auction on the Geek. I have my Geeklist built and my items prices. I just need some flavor text and a good timeframe before I start (long weekend coming up in Canada. Don't want to start it then.). Strangely enough, I am kind of excited about my auction (Selling things on Ebay makes me grumpy). Since I just want to get rid of my games, my auction angle will be everything starts at a $1. I just hope I can find enough boxes to ship the larger items.

My summary: Try it on the Geek and don't be afraid to ask for help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for the Geek auction - you'd be selling to an interested and supportive crowd and this site gets some love as well. I just did my first auction and was very pleased with it. Good luck with it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
A geeklist auction will be noticed here. But, if you're willing to put up with the hassles, selling on eBay will get you better returns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
A geeklist auction will be noticed here. But, if you're willing to put up with the hassles, selling on eBay will get you better returns.

Not necessarily. Ebay charges 10%+, BGG 3%. That makes a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also thinking about selling some things, but was considering using ebay and then linking each auction on the game's page (under the "selling on ebay" section). What does everyone think about that approach? I imagine you'd catch more eyeballs that way, but maybe I'm wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigthos wrote:
I was also thinking about selling some things, but was considering using ebay and then linking each auction on the game's page (under the "selling on ebay" section). What does everyone think about that approach? I imagine you'd catch more eyeballs that way, but maybe I'm wrong...

You'll get more eyes going through your games here - since people will often be interested in getting more than one of them to reduce shipping costs. It's easier to navigate through everything you're selling here, than to stumble across them in the ebay/game listings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done two auctions on here. I did local only ones. People were very helpful with getting me information on setting up a geek list. If you need help send me a GM. I will answer what I can.

And more importantly, I hope everything goes well for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck to you! All the other responses have been very helpful and I second the thought of a Geeklist Auction. They're not hard at all to put together and can raise a lot of money if you have a good cause. If you do end up going this route, please let us know! I'd be very willing to check the auction out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anyone here willing to put the geeklist auction up for him? If I had any clue how to do it I would volunteer.

I assume he's never sold anything before, and wouldn't know how to start. But, having faced my wife's chemo, I know how difficult even getting the most mundane things done can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an old auction of mine, feel free to copy and paste:

*CLOSED* Indigo Potter's $5 Starting Bid Auction, with discounts for multi-item purchases (Ends Thursday, May 17, shipping from Ithaca, NY 14850, US only)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the great replies and encouragement.

I will end up doing the geek auction, but I think I will have to wait til after I'm completely done with my chemo. It takes a lot just to sit in front of the computer.

However, the chemo is cleaning up my tumor and I will be done in a month or so.

I am always awestruck by the BGG community. It is really hard to understand what someone is going through unless you've been there before. It is nice to see some good from humanity still.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred MacKenzie
United States
Florence
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also look into getting help from the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund.

http://www.jackvasel.org/news/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dryerflyer wrote:

However, the chemo is cleaning up my tumor and I will be done in a month or so.

excellent news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dryerflyer wrote:
I am going through chemo right now. In fact it is getting pumped into me at the moment.

what is chemo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
dryerflyer wrote:

what is chemo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotherapy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I'm surprised at how few people refer www.kijiji.com. It's local, no shipping. Most people agree to come to your door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
dryerflyer wrote:

what is chemo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotherapy

ah i thought it is a boardgame of some sort
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.