GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,129 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Steward's Fear» Forums » General

Subject: Card info rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Hero - Hirluin the Fair (leadership)

Starting skill is 1 for all 3 skills
Cost 8
4 Health
He is an "outlands" character
Ranged

You may use a resource from Hirluin the Fair resource pool to pay for any Outland card of any sphere

NOTE - his stats are low because this deck has a lot of "all outland models Gain +1 stat

------------
Leadership Card

cost 2 Warrior of Lossarnach
Outlands
1 for all stats 1 health
_ each outlands character gains +1 Armor
--
cost 0 Gaining Strength
- action - discard 2 resources from hero to gain 3

tactics cards

cost 1 Knight of the Swan
0 stats 1 health - Each outland you control gains +1 attack

cost 1 Gondorian Shield
Attach to a hero - restritcted
Limit 1 per hero
Gain +1 armor (+2 if has gondor trait)

spirit

cost 2 Ether Swordman
outlands
1 for all stats
each outland character you control gains +1 willpower

cost 1 Ring of Barahir
attach to a hero
artifact
attach hero gains +1 hp for each artifact attached. If aragan gain lore

lore
cost 1 Anaflas herdsman
outlands
- o for stats health
each outlands character gains +1hp

cost1 mithrandirs advice

draw 1 card for each her you control with "lore" resource

Colorless cards

cost 0 A good harvest - Action - name a sphere - until end of phase you can spend resources of any sphere when paying for cards that belong to named sphere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Meyer
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely interested to try the outlands allies with Hirluin as a hero. I'm going to try to merge it with my Gondor deck (Boromir (leadership), Hirluin, Denethor (lore)), since that deck is my ally heavy deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne
Canada
Deep River
Ontario
flag msg tools
Wow, if they keep going off this trend for the rest of the cycle, Outlands decks are going to get out of control with all those stat boosts. Granted, it is only for the controlling player, but still. Lots of solo deck potential there. My Hunter of Lamedon might see some play soon after all. It'll be a nice change from the Dwarf decks that have been around for the better part of the last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kam
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ring of Barahir is kind of intriguing. Right now, the sphere addition only makes sense for Core Aragorn, so you'd have to be running a three-sphere deck for it to work. Unless it's pointing toward us getting a Spirit Aragorn (Spirigorn?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pentadude wrote:
Wow, if they keep going off this trend for the rest of the cycle, Outlands decks are going to get out of control with all those stat boosts. Granted, it is only for the controlling player, but still. Lots of solo deck potential there. My Hunter of Lamedon might see some play soon after all. It'll be a nice change from the Dwarf decks that have been around for the better part of the last year.

Yes, it looks nice indeed, but I'm a bit dismayed. I was expecting that AtS will be more about the Gondor trait, not that there will be another one. Dwarves got plenty of cool toys, Gondor not much so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Kharnel wrote:
The Ring of Barahir is kind of intriguing. Right now, the sphere addition only makes sense for Core Aragorn, so you'd have to be running a three-sphere deck for it to work. Unless it's pointing toward us getting a Spirit Aragorn (Spirigorn?)

After you get Celebrian's Stone on Coragorn you can then slip the ring on him. Get the Sword on him too and...

Edit: This is making me think more and more that we'll see Thorongil in this cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does Hirluin also have the Gondor trait?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ring of Barahir combos nicely with Celebrian's Stone, also an Aragorn-centric artifact. Drop those two, plus all the Outlands allies and A Good Harvest into a deck with Aragorn and Hirluin, then maybe Bifur, possibly with Narvi's Belt, and you've got an intriguing 4-sphere deck. You might want to trade Bifur for a tactics hero, since Aragorn can provide Lore with the ring, but it seems to me his resource bouncing ability and low threat would work nicely with all this.

I don't think we'll see a ton more Outlands cards, though. That could get crazy fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I like that were getting the whole strategy in one pack. Very efficient!

I am also noticing how solo friendly all these cards are. Should make all the solo only players very happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Extremely powerful player cards in this pack. The Outlands deck will be very fun and very potent. Also, Gondorian Shield is crazy good. One resource for +2 defense? o_O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Starhawk77 wrote:
Extremely powerful player cards in this pack. The Outlands deck will be very fun and very potent. Also, Gondorian Shield is crazy good. One resource for +2 defense? o_O

I hadn't really thought about how good that is. Also free to play on Beregond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting!

I like the Ring of Barahir for the reasons already stated.

The outland characters and associated stacking bonuses could become to messy and time-consuming for my taste. I can see games taking longer due to recalculating the bonuses for your outland characters all the time. I might have to include pen & paper just for these guys.

My favourite is clearly the Gondorian Shield. Low cost, high efficiency and thematic bonus for Gondor heroes - one cannot ask for more than that! The first benefactors coming to mind are Denethor (Defense of 5 with the potential of A Burning Brand), Boromir (keep readying a character with Defense of edit 4) and Beregond (free shield, resulting in Defense of 6). Elrohir is also a preferred recipient of the shield, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Not sure if I am correct on this or not since I didn't see the actual cards yet, but are they seperating Gondor into Gondor traits and Outland traits?

I can sort of see why capital area Gondorians wouldn't be effected by Outland traits (because they are not from the Outlands), but I cannot see why Outlanders wouldn't be effected by Gondor traits (because Outlands are part of Gondor).

I was expecting Guard of Citadel to make an epic comeback in this Cycle, but if Outland and Gondor doesn't interract, that might not be the case. But who knows, this is only first pack and maybe both Gondor and Outland traits will be developed, giving two types of deck for Gondor faction; the mainlands(Anorien/Ithilien) and the Outlands.

Can't wait to see how Gondor/Outland will be developed compared to Dwarves once the cycle is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. 1 adventure pack vaults the Outlands race from nearly non-existent to arguably the second best race behind Dwarves. I love that it is all in one pack. What is bloody fantastic about this is that you only need 1 hero to line up the Outlands synergy leaving a large amount of options with the rest of your deck and the other two heroes. All the more since Hirluin the Fair is only 8 threat! Elrond and Hirluin come to mind as a great pairing both for threat balance and great coverage for paying for the Outlands allies where you are guaranteed to be able to afford 1 a turn.

And of course Gondorian shield is studly. I love that it synergizes with Steward of Gondor which was already a good option to put on a defender due to Blood of the Numenor. And you can even put the Gondorian Shield on first and then further buff with a Steward later (unlike Blood of the Numenor)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Ring of Barahir unique? or limited to 1 per hero?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel F
msg tools
compton9890 wrote:

Most likely unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
narsil0420 wrote:
Does Hirluin also have the Gondor trait?

No, Outlands is his only trait. None of the Outlands allies have the Gondor trait either.

compton9890 wrote:

It's unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Then there is Hunter of Lamedon who has both traits. I wonder if there is going to be more cooperation, like seeing "if Gondor or Outlands" the way we see Gondor or Dúnedain (Blood of Númenor) or Silvan or Noldor. And I am forgetting Mutual Accord for Gondor and Rohan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
Then there is Hunter of Lamedon who has both traits. I wonder if there is going to be more cooperation, like seeing "if Gondor or Outlands" the way we see Gondor or Dúnedain (Blood of Númenor) or Silvan or Noldor.

Maybe even some sort of "Mutual Accord" card for Gondor and Outlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ins3kT wrote:
jpraibis wrote:
Then there is Hunter of Lamedon who has both traits. I wonder if there is going to be more cooperation, like seeing "if Gondor or Outlands" the way we see Gondor or Dúnedain (Blood of Númenor) or Silvan or Noldor.

Maybe even some sort of "Mutual Accord" card for Gondor and Outlands.

I hope so, because so far it feels like getting a Silvan-themed AP with most of the cards being Sindari. I can't help myself but I'm dissapointed so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Gerken
Germany
Oldenburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the outlands theme is perfekt for beginners in LotR to "compete" with other players. You can have quite a strong deck with only Coreset, Numenor (to get Hunter of Lamedon) and this adventure pack.

Can anybody post some fotos or scans of the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Here's Tony Foti's amazing art for Hirluin:

Check out his other work at http://anthonyfoti.deviantart.com/art/Lord-of-the-Rings-TCG-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
I get the impression that a two-sphere deck(my general preference) will have a hard time building a strong Outlands deck with just HoN and this pack.

I mean, that would support just two Outlands allies if not Lore, or three with Lore, but the Herdsman seems like the lesser of these new allies.

I guess the flipside is that it fits into lots of other deck ideas, but in my view it makes Hirluin harder to justify if you're relying on just 6 cards, or two separate allies, to receive a significant boost(say, +3 attack, +3 defense?), at the cost of having a weak hero in the early game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Meyer
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first Outlands deck I am going to try. I want to see what happens when a lot of outlands allies are out, so I put plenty of draw power in the deck (and ways to skip past non-outlands cards).

Hirluin
Balin
Beravor

ALLY - 23
3 Hunter of Lamadon
3 Knight of the Swan
3 Ethir Swordsman
3 Anaflas Herdsman
3 Warrior of Lossnarch
3 Envoy of Palargir
3 Gandalf (core)
1 Erestor
1 Faramir

EQUIPMENT - 12
3 King under the mountain
3 Protector of lorien
3 Expert treasure-hunter
3 Cram

EVENT - 15
3 Daeron's Runes
1 Common Cause
3 Lorien's Wealth
2 Grim Resolve
3 The Secret Paths
3 Radagast's Cunning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
kurahoshi wrote:
I get the impression that a two-sphere deck(my general preference) will have a hard time building a strong Outlands deck with just HoN and this pack.

I mean, that would support just two Outlands allies if not Lore, or three with Lore, but the Herdsman seems like the lesser of these new allies.

But Hirluin can pay for any Outlands character!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.