fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is a couple of Shocklands, some Guild Champions, and maybe a Planeswalker

Open it up! Open it up!

...and post the pics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Ten foil Chimney Imps and a gold-border Zephyr Spirit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Some card from Modern Masters that's totally not supposed to be there and it was a total accident and not a plant by Wizards at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Some card from Modern Masters that's totally not supposed to be there and it was a total accident and not a plant by Wizards at all.

To be clear - this only happened in the DGM prerelease guild packs (the semirandom packs of guild-specific GTC/RtR cards) and not with the actual DGM boosters, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to a strange timeloop, just a lot of infecteus host

(Yeah I always opened thoose in the original Ravinica)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
Open it up! Open it up!

...and post the pics
I plan on it!
Hopefully tonight!

(And if I do find any amount of Chimney Imps or Zephyr Spirits, foil or otherwise, I shall be quite cross!)
yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Draft out of it with friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
logopolys wrote:

To be clear - this only happened in the DGM prerelease guild packs (the semirandom packs of guild-specific GTC/RtR cards) and not with the actual DGM boosters, right?

Not sure, but I do know that there was an RTR card in M13, and one other one that escapes me before this MM thing happened. Too often not to be a pattern...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:
logopolys wrote:

Not sure, but I do know that there was an RTR card in M13, and one other one that escapes me before this MM thing happened. Too often not to be a pattern...

A foil textless Lightning Bolt showed up in a pack of Urza's Destiny back in 1999. These errors (or possibly "errors") have been happening for some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a Gatecrash card in a RTR booster and the MM and Judge foils in DGM prerelease packs. Maybe something else recently that I'm forgetting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Here's what I'm looking at. Going to do a bunch of sealed deck drafts and then build a cube (several cubes, probably) out of this. I've been wondering what's been in the Ravnica boxes for more than six months! Gah!

Soon.........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
THE CARNAGE!!!

Being a small set (156 cards) it was nice to get a quantity of pretty much everything Common/Uncommon. I think I saw at least 3 or 4 of every common and at least 2 of every Uncommon.

Here is the breakdown of the rest:

Rares:
Managed to get 29 of the 35 Rares in the set, which is cool with me.
Renounce the Guilds x1
Aetherling x1
Trait Doctoring x1
Blood Scrivener x1
Pontiff of Blight x1
Possibility Storm x2
Pyrewild Shaman x1
Renegade Krasis x1
Boros Battleshaper x2
Dragonshift x2
Emmara Tandris x1
Gaze of Granite x1
Lavinia of the Tenth x1
Melek, Izzet Paragon FOIL x1
Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker x2
Obzedat's Aid x1
Render Silent x1
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed x1
Sire of Insanity x1
Tajic, Blade of the Legion x1
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts x1
Varolz, the Scar-Striped x1
Vorel of the Hull Clade x1
Zhur-Taa Ancient x1
Beck/Call x1
Breaking/Entering x1
Catch/Release x1
Flesh/Blood x1
Ready/Willing x1

Mythics:
UGH! I only managed 2 of the Top-8 Mythics. And did I mention... Maze's End? UGH!
Deadbridge Chant x1
Legion's Initiative x1
Progenitor Mimic x1
Reap Intellect x1
Maze's End x1 ...UGH!

Shocklands:
One lousy Shockland from a whole box!!!
Stomping Ground x1

Rares I Didn't Get:
Scion of Vitu-Ghazi
Skylasher
Advent of the Wurm
Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
Notion Thief
Plasm Capture

Mythics I Didn't Get:
Blood Baron of Vizkopa
Council of the Absolute
Master of Cruelties
Ral Zarek ... Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Savageborn Hydra
Voice of Resurgence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy also got only 1 shockland from his box. Looks like they're aren't common as people thought they would be. However, he got Ral Zarek and Voice of Resurgence from his box.

He also is the same person that sat to the right of the player who opened 2 planeswalkers in a single pack in draft and the draft was passing to the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some decent pulls depending on the format(s) you play.

The Melek, Izzet Paragon FOIL stands out as fun to me. It's not worth much money, and I don't even really want to play Izzet, but I'd build a casual Izzet deck around that card if I pulled it.

I'm surprised about the lack of Shocklands in 36 packs. They never really announced the distribution of lands officially, but I assumed the Shocklands and Maze's End would be 1 in 8 packs. Looks like it's 1 in 18.

Bummer on the misses at Mythic. Again, I'm not an Izzet player, but Ral Zarek looks really fun to play with. Unfortunately, I'm a Selesnya fan, and it looks like Voice of Resurgence is going to be the most expensive card in the set for the time being. (Dang.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SVan wrote:
My buddy also got only 1 shockland from his box. Looks like they're aren't common as people thought they would be.
I figured Maze's End screwed me out of a second Shockland, but maybe not.

SVan wrote:
However, he got Ral Zarek and Voice of Resurgence from his box.
I totally got hosed on Mythics. Ugh.

fuzzydice82 wrote:
The Melek, Izzet Paragon FOIL stands out as fun to me.
I think so too. I don't really go overly gonzo for Izzet, but I keep getting some of their good cards, so he will certainly go in my Izzet casual deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that is suprising that you didn't get more shocklands. I bought a couple and was worried they'd drop with Dragon's Maze, but if the distribution is like this, maybe they'll hold. Thanks for posting info on your pulls. You still got some good cards there.

PS: I got Ral in my pre-release packs and a Voice in my fat pack, so I feel pretty lucky. Though I still need Sire, Pontiff, and Blood Baron... Ah Magic, why ust you tease me so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I heard, you should expect 1-2 shocklands per box of DGM, at half the rate of the other sets in the block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 boxes - 4 shocks. However, 3 of those shocks came in 3-rare packs. I didn't even notice the first one and tossed it in my common pile until someone pointed out it was not a guild gate later. For all I know, it could have been a 3-rare pack too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Really? 3-rare packs? So, they had a foil rare in a common slot, plus the usual rare and the shock?

Makes me start to wonder if their packing-sorting mechanism makes foils and shocks likely to occur in the same packs. Which could be a real problem if those vendors unscrupulous enough to use a scale to identify packs containing foils and keep those to themselves while selling off the rest ... are even more rewarded for such a practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Really? 3-rare packs? So, they had a foil rare in a common slot, plus the usual rare and the shock?

Makes me start to wonder if their packing-sorting mechanism makes foils and shocks likely to occur in the same packs. Which could be a real problem if those vendors unscrupulous enough to use a scale to identify packs containing foils and keep those to themselves while selling off the rest ... are even more rewarded for such a practice.

Once I learned about Box Mapping, I was blown away. I always wondered why there were so many eBay auctions where people were selling 3 - 6 sealed packs of current sets for a dollar or two less than MSRP.

For anyone who doesn't know what Box-Mapping is, search for it on YouTube, and then never buy a set of 3 - 6 Sealed Packs on eBay because they will contain the worst Rares in the set. (Unless you're looking for the worst Rares in the set.)

I hadn't thought about weighing for foils, but yeah, I'm never buying individual sealed pack(s) from any individual or vendor that I don't trust. Mostly this is online eBay sellers since there's little reason for my local shop (which sells a lot of Mtg) to Box-Map and weigh for Foils.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
xKoBiEx wrote:
2 boxes - 4 shocks. However, 3 of those shocks came in 3-rare packs. I didn't even notice the first one and tossed it in my common pile until someone pointed out it was not a guild gate later. For all I know, it could have been a 3-rare pack too.

Also pulled a 3-rare at the prerelease. It was the only shockland I've cracked so far and had a foil Reap Intellect in the pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
I hadn't thought about weighing for foils, but yeah, I'm never buying individual sealed pack(s) from any individual or vendor that I don't trust. Mostly this is online eBay sellers since there's little reason for my local shop (which sells a lot of Mtg) to Box-Map and weigh for Foils.

Quick question: so which online vendor might you trust? Do you think CSI or Mini Market could be guilty of such a thing?

For what it's worth, I hate the very idea of box mapping. I think the common excuse why it isn't bad is "well, I want to find the bombs and then just draft the rest." But... why? Wouldn't drafting the bombs be fun too?

Also, am I the only person who thinks it might be fun to win using Maze's End?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigthos wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:

Quick question: so which online vendor might you trust? Do you think CSI or Mini Market could be guilty of such a thing?

For what it's worth, I hate the very idea of box mapping. I think the common excuse why it isn't bad is "well, I want to find the bombs and then just draft the rest." But... why? Wouldn't drafting the bombs be fun too?

Personally? I trust the big online MTG sellers like CSI and Mini market because they turn over so much volume, and buy your singles and then turn around to sell them with a mark-up, that my assumption is that they don't need to make money box-mapping and weighing. (Again, that's just my personal level of trust).

The other thought on the large online MTG sellers is that if I'm ordering from them, I'm either ordering singles, or chipping in with my buddies to order sealed booster boxes for Limited Casual play. No box-mapping worries.

The other places I buy packs are at my local shop, which again has tons of turnover of their stock and a large-ish tournament base (Magic tournaments of different formats every night) that it seems silly to think they're box-mapping. Plus, they don't have a huge case of high-dollar Singles on display...which seems like a tip-off to box-mapping.

I also pick up a pack here and there at Target or Walmart when I'm out. Those are sealed in additional cardboard and I've yet to discover that these were mapped somehow. (I pulled a Shockland just last week from a Walmart pack.) Just don't buy the Non-WotC 3-pack repacks with a promo card. I'd guess they're all mapped and re-sold to Walmart.

So there you have my Trust Level for where I venture to buy sealed packs. Feel free to shatter my world with a reality check

bigthos wrote:
Also, am I the only person who thinks it might be fun to win using Maze's End?

Nope, I'm right there with you. That one time it works will be glorious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.