Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been sitting on a game idea for a while now, slowly fleshing it out in my head (and messing around with a handful of cards), but not making much progress toward having a playable prototype to test. With the Cards Against Humanity Tabletop Design Deathmatch coming up, I've decided that it's time for me to set aside my other projects and get this thing done. The first step: creating this thread, so that I can hopefully get some feedback about the overall concept while I put the prototype together.

Terrible Twos
For 1-4 Players
Time: ??? (I would guess 30 minutes)
Category: ??? (It's in the same vein as Godzilla/King Kong)
Mechanics: Co-operative Play, Deck / Pool Building, Dice Rolling

The Theme

An 80-foot-tall, 2-year-old girl is headed for your city, unaware of her own strength.

How did she get that way, you ask?

whistle

Okay, I haven't written an actual backstory yet. I figure it'll involve her scientist father, a top secret research facility, and a "Take Your Child To Work Day" gone wrong. In any event, you and the other players must now work together to save the city from this sudden threat.

The Goal

Unlike with other giant-creature-terrorizing-a-city stories, you've been instructed not to kill the toddler. The scientists insist that they have an antidote, and they just need enough time to mix the proper dosage. The mayor doesn't want the PR disaster that would come from killing a child whose life could have been spared. So instead, you must distract her, and keep her from destroying too much of the city until the antidote is ready for use.

How To Win

Essentially, the goal will be to survive a given number of turns. There will be a turn track to show how many turns (i.e. how much time) is left before victory. I am, however, considering including an alternate goal which could be met to win the game before the allotted number of turns.

How To Lose

During the game, one or two Location cards will be active on the table. These represent the structures/areas that are nearest to the toddler, and in the most danger at the moment. Location cards will have a Distraction number on them, indicating how difficult it will be to distract her away from them (the Zoo, for instance, will be much harder than the Library). You will have to play enough Distraction points from your hand to match the requirement on the Location card, in order to save that location.

For every turn that you don't successfully distract her, her temper will go up. A TemperCON meter will start at 5 (the least amount of danger) and go up to 1, at which point the toddler will have a full-blown temper tantrum, destroying one or both of the active locations. She will continue destroying new locations as they are revealed, until you successfully distract her, at which point the TemperCON meter resets to 5.

If a given number of locations are destroyed during the game, you lose.

Deckbuilding

It is primarily a deckbuilding game. All players will work from a single shared deck, and will be adding Distractions and other cards to the deck by playing Dispatch points from their hand (I need to come up with a better name for it than Dispatch. Thematically, the idea is that you're calling for reinforcements, much like a dispatcher would.)

Unlike most deckbuilding games, however, the cards you add don't go straight into the discard pile. Instead, they get passed along to other players of your choosing. Those players can then play the new cards during their turn. This reinforces the co-operative aspect of the game, and amplifies the effects of building your deck.

Dice Bonus cards (explained in the next section) and higher-valued Dispatch cards will always be available to add to the deck. Of the rest, only four will be available at any given time.

The deck is also subject to being watered down. Obstacle cards will be in the starting deck, serving no purpose to the player. When the TemperCON goes up, an additional Obstacle card must be added to the discard pile. There's only one way to get rid of them (so far): if you have multiple Obstacle cards in your hand, you can consolidate them into one, and remove the rest.

Dice Rolling

When the points in your hand are not enough to carry out your plans, you can attempt to make up the difference by rolling d6's. For example, if a particular card costs 5 Dispatch points, and you only have 3 Dispatch points in your hand, you can still get the card by playing those 3 points and rolling 2 successes on the dice. Successes will be 5's and 6's (in most cases).

To determine how many dice to roll, each player will get a Character card at the beginning of the game. That card will stay in front of them, and will have a slider of Distraction/Dispatch values that can be adjusted at the start of a player's turn. (Arkham Horror is the first game that comes to mind which uses this mechanism.) In the above example, if your Dispatch setting is at 4, then you'll roll 4 dice to try to get those 2 successes. You can only do this once per turn.

Dice Bonus cards can be added to the deck and played from your hand to roll additional dice; there will also be cards that turn 4's into successes, or allow you to re-roll the failures, etc.

Hero Points

At the end of a player's turn, any unused points from their hand become Hero points. This includes all unplayed points, and points that were played with unsuccessful dice rolls. Hero points will go into a shared pool that all players may draw from.

I don't have all of the details yet for how Hero points will be used. One use will be to keep a Location card from being destroyed while in tantrum mode (for the current turn only). There will also be some cards which may be bought with Hero points.

Card Type Recap

Dispatch - Used to add cards to the deck.
Distraction - Used to save locations (and keep the child's temper down). Each card will have a different thematic item, such as a Parade Balloon, Fireworks, or a Video Screen.
Dice Bonus - Add dice to a roll (or do other helpful things involving dice rolls).
Obstacle - Useless, but can be consolidated.
Location - Requires Distraction points to be saved. Each card will have a thematic location on it, such as a Zoo, Park, or School.
Character - Given out to each player at the start of the game. Includes a slider for dice rolls and a thematic character type, such as Police, Firefighter, or Construction Worker.

What's Missing

I think that covers the whole game, and I don't think there is anything keeping it from being playable (as soon as I have the prototype ready). The only things that are still incomplete are the thematic items; specifically: a backstory, a list of all Location cards, and a list of all Distraction cards. The Distraction cards are harder to come up with than I previously thought... how do you get the attention of an 80-foot toddler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for links to rules, PnP, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2 year-old 80 foot tall toddlers destroying a city! OH MY GOSH! Looking forward to this!

Some ideas for location cards might be something like a sea (if you are in a city next to an ocean), a playground, an amusement park, or a giant Ferris-wheel.

P.S. This has reminded me of a game with a similar idea (giant little kids). I might work on it, and just hope there is no feeling of copying or anything on your part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.