Popular Tags: essen [+] convention [+] [View All]
Alan Faller
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been to Essen before, but I have the time booked off work and I am going to be there this year with my Daughter.

This is an appeal to all of you convention "old timers" - Do you have any suggestions and recommendations for hotels not too far from the exhibition halls. If you can also comment on how well they will be able to handle someone whoe's German is virtually non existent, then it would be appreciated.

I don't think it is too early to ask this, and I am sure there are going to be lots of people interested in the feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Allan,

the language issue should be none - many germans know a few words in english, and in the gastronomy/hotel branch virtually ALL employees are obliged to speak English.
Maybe their english will be a little bit rusty, but as there is "Die Welt zu Gast bei Freunden" (= Soccer Championship), there will be a lot of practice for them!meeple

For a hotel, you may try
http://www.hotel.de

Unfortunately, i live in another part of germany and can't offer more advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alan,

If you have some games on your wish list, even old games please prepare it in advance. Make sure you take a big bag and feet that can carry you all day. The veunue is huge and very crowded!!
There are lots of second hand games (virtually everything) so you can also purchase the game you always wanted (some games are a bit expensive: Titan I saw for 125 € and Fortress America for 150€ and 160€ Euro's). But you can have a bargain as well: I bought Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition for 59€.
Anyhow, you and your daughter will have the time of your life! I made wish list beforehand and wenn I got everything I spend the rest of the day talking, wandering around a plyaing games. Can't wait for Essen 2006!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alan,

It is me again... I forgot to mention that if you enter with 4 people the tickets are cheaper. Ask the people before or behind in line and pay 4 tickets all together. The money you save is an extra 2nd hand game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alan,

It is me again... I forgot to mention that if you enter with 4 people the tickets are cheaper. Ask the people before or behind in line and pay 4 tickets all together. The money you save is an extra 2nd hand game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:
(...) Titan I saw for 125 € (...)

Aargh, i sold my copy (excellent condition) the other day on ebay for laughable 75 EUR... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan

There is a pile of useful advice in the Essen 2005 folder http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewforum... - Jon Power (Eye of Night) is due a lot of the credit for the UK input.

We booked our fights last year (!) so I'll see you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
You might find this useful

http://atlantagamefest.com/gbe.html

also this thread

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/64704

Essen is fantastic fun, you'll have a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also going to be attending Essen for the first time this year.. if you see me running around looking lost, feel free to say "howdy"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.