Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having not yet played the game and still trying to comprehend the rules, I'm not sure I fully understand the advantage of storing resources.

If I have a coal plant that will power 1 city with 2 coal resources, why buy 4 if I don't have another coal plant to transfer these too? And if I did have another coal plant to transfer them too, why wouldn't I just place the 2 coal on that plant anyway's?

When I go to supply that 1 city with 2 coal do I ONLY turn those 2 resources in, or do I lose all 4 if I bought extra and I have no more coal plants to move them into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mb
Racinrod wrote:
Having not yet played the game and still trying to comprehend the rules, I'm not sure I fully understand the advantage of storing resources.

If I have a coal plant that will power 1 city with 2 coal resources, why buy 4 if I don't have another coal plant to transfer these too? And if I did have another coal plant to transfer them too, why wouldn't I just place the 2 coal on that plant anyway's?

When I go to supply that 1 city with 2 coal do I ONLY turn those 2 resources in, or do I lose all 4 if I bought extra and I have no more coal plants to move them into?

You may want to buy more resources than you can use in order to make that resource more expensive for your opponents.

No, you don't lose the extra resources you have stored. The only time you would lose resources would be if you bought a new plant and had to discard, say, a coal plant that has coal stored on it, but you don't have another plant that uses coal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akke Monasso
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
futhee wrote:

You may want to buy more resources than you can use in order to make that resource more expensive for your opponents.

Making a resource more expensive for your opponents is usually not a good reason to buy more resources (although it can be in the endgame).

Stock up on resources if you expect that by next turn, you will be later in line to buy resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 3 main reasons I store resources in Power Grid.

1. To bump the cost up a level for one of my opponents. (Doesn't happen too often)

2. Because they are cheap this turn but due to either a change in turn order or new competition for that resource, they won't be as cheap for me the next turn.

3. I am in what I think is the second-to-last round of the game, and realize that my opponents can make sure there will be a shortage of that resource in the last round. Nobody wants to get to the last turn and realize that a resource they vitally need is gone. I think this was the main impetus for placing the storage rule in the game.

Remember, that this is an economic game. The resource market is akin to buying stocks. Buying low before the price gets high is vital.

Travis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated by others, there are a couple reasons. Mostly it comes down to what resources other players need and how long you are going to be holding a certain plant.

For instance, if a lot of people are in coal, or there are a lot of 2-3 coal plants in play, you could possible see a run on coal to the point where you may have to worry about being able to get enough to power your plant on the next turn.

In cases where you are the only player in a resource (nuclear power), buying extra material typically only means you are paying more for a resource than you needed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Arndt
United States
Elma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll understand the strategies a little better once I play a game or two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Turner
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I'd like to add a question to this area? What if the following occured as it did with me today. I had 2 power plants using coal both had the required coal to power them. (2 + 2)
Another player also had a coal power plant which would power 7 cities but without resources on it (3).
It was his turn first as auction leader and I was in last position, so , first to buy resources. There was only 4 coal left on the board.

So my question is this? - In the next round I deliberatley bought an oil power plant (one of my coal plants was a hybrid) so I had to discard a power plant as I now had 4. I chose to discard the hybrid plant however I had 2 coal on it. As I had another coal power plant I could have moved the 2 coal on to the other that can store twice it's required. BUT I wanted to discrad it and the coal that was on it...as I buy resources first I could then buy 2 of the remaining 4 coal only leaving 2 coal. This means the other player could only buy 2 coal, but needs 3 to power his plant that supplies 7 citites...thus making him unable to win in our situation as he would only supply 10 cities not 17.

So the argument arose that I should NOT be allowed to discard the 2 coal that was on my 4th power plant as I had space available in another coal power plant...which woul have meant I could not buy 2 additional coal hence the other player could buy 3 coal of the 4 available.

So the qurstion is do I have the CHOICE to discard resources that could be on the 4th power plant even if I could store them elsewhere? Then also could I have transferred ny existing 2 coal I have onto the same 4th power plant allowing my to discard it with 4 coal meaning I would need 4 coal of the 4 remaining to have twice the allowed resources thus the other player would have had no coal available.

Long question I know, but will solve a long dispute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc K
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam, the second edition Rio Grande rules say: "The player may move resources from the old plant to his remaining three power plants, if they are of the correct type." Their use of the word "may" rather than "must" seems to imply that you have a choice.

Also: "At any time during the game, a player can rearrange his resources among his power plants" - again, "can" implies a choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.